Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,407 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your comments, I do understand that there is higher crime and corruption in New Mexico it is a border state. That is expected. I just want my kids to experience some fresh air and not the stench of polution. I would like a smaller town that doesn't look like a war zone with abandoned house. I don't want to worry about my kids getting killed in a drive by. Just a decent area. Where we can go to church and enjoy some mexican heritage without really moving into Mexico. The money here for a nurse is just much better. any more ideas let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbellaza17 View Post
Thanks for your comments, I do understand that there is higher crime and corruption in New Mexico it is a border
Sorry, but you are wrong....

One example; El Paso, Texas is one of the safest cities in the United States and it is a few feet from Juarez, Mexico, currently is one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbellaza17 View Post
Where we can go to church and enjoy some mexican heritage without really moving into Mexico.
Sorry, I really believe you do not understand the culture in this area. Mexico and New Mexico have very different heritage's. That is some advice you might seriously keep in mind if you get down here.

Rich

Old 10-04-2011, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 8,795 times
Default Frankly ...

Based on your comments, I'd suggest you move to Arizona. Arizona, it seems to me, has more of what you want. It is scenic (as much or more than NM), it doesn't have the corruption as much (I know that will start arguments but I believe that's a true statement), it would be less of a culture shock to move to than NM WILL BE, and I just think overall it would be easier, smoother, better for your kids, all that. There are beautiful nice town in Arizona that most likely need nurses, like Prescott. Just my 2cents. Plus, NM is poor, poor, poor. Arizona has lots of economic issues, too, but they are trying to do something about them. NM has ... corruption. Seriously - I've lived all over this state, and you could step into a mess you can't imagine.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:12 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushnm View Post
Based on your comments, I'd suggest you move to Arizona. Arizona, it seems to me, has more of what you want. It is scenic (as much or more than NM), it doesn't have the corruption as much (I know that will start arguments but I believe that's a true statement), it would be less of a culture shock to move to than NM WILL BE, and I just think overall it would be easier, smoother, better for your kids, all that. There are beautiful nice town in Arizona that most likely need nurses, like Prescott. Just my 2cents. Plus, NM is poor, poor, poor. Arizona has lots of economic issues, too, but they are trying to do something about them. NM has ... corruption. Seriously - I've lived all over this state, and you could step into a mess you can't imagine.
Are you serious? Arizona as good scenary as New Mexico? Arizona has nothing on New Mexico, it is one of the most beautiful states in the United States, how many times do you hear people call Arizona beautiful? New Mexico isn't called the "Land of Enchantment" for nothing, also, you go on to say New Mexico is "poor poor poor" however, I don't see New Mexico in as big as a real estate disaster as Arizona. Also, the weather there is treacherous, especially in Phoenix, and surrounding areas, who wants to live in an oven, when they can have the dry heat, and mild four seasons of New Mexico? Also don't forget, Phoenix, is sprawl sprawl sprawl, living in LA's shadow, it has no identity, and no culture, it's just a big wannabe version of LA in the desert. At least Albuquerque has great history, great cuisine, great culture, better weather, friendlier people, and isn't in such a mess as compared to Arizona. New mexico is a MUCH cleaner, and better place for a family, Arizona doesn't have anything to offer nearly on the same scale as New Mexico, it's just a bunch of suburbs mashed up, that are falling apart in this economic disaster. Other parts of Arizona such as Tucson more crime, closer to the border, and less culture.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Are you serious? Arizona as good scenary as New Mexico? Arizona has nothing on New Mexico, it is one of the most beautiful states in the United States, how many times do you hear people call Arizona beautiful? New Mexico isn't called the "Land of Enchantment" for nothing, also, you go on to say New Mexico is "poor poor poor" however, I don't see New Mexico in as big as a real estate disaster as Arizona. Also, the weather there is treacherous, especially in Phoenix, and surrounding areas, who wants to live in an oven, when they can have the dry heat, and mild four seasons of New Mexico? Also don't forget, Phoenix, is sprawl sprawl sprawl, living in LA's shadow, it has no identity, and no culture, it's just a big wannabe version of LA in the desert. At least Albuquerque has great history, great cuisine, great culture, better weather, friendlier people, and isn't in such a mess as compared to Arizona. New mexico is a MUCH cleaner, and better place for a family, Arizona doesn't have anything to offer nearly on the same scale as New Mexico, it's just a bunch of suburbs mashed up, that are falling apart in this economic disaster. Other parts of Arizona such as Tucson more crime, closer to the border, and less culture.
I think somebody took the bait..

There's nothing wrong with being proud of NM, but as a proud NM resident, I do share the opinion that Arizona has better scenery. People often refer to Arizona's beauty.

Let's leave the Arizona bashing for an Arizona forum. I think both states have a lot to offer.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Let's leave the Arizona bashing for an Arizona forum. I think both states have a lot to offer.
We don't even allow bashing at City-Data... It's in the Terms of service.

And some parts of Utah are also pretty scenic... Having spent a few years overseas, it was always a delight to come back to my scenic country.

Rich

Old 10-04-2011, 02:09 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Man, you guys are really confusing the OP. Any official corruption rarely affects daily life in New Mexico-- and the OP is coming from New Jersey.

I would nominate looking at Taos: safe, clean, "hispanic", beautiful Catholic churches, modern services and shopping, plenty of out-door activities, plenty of wordly visitors, and the area is as scenic as any place in the country.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
...how many times do you hear people call Arizona beautiful? New Mexico isn't called the "Land of Enchantment" for nothing...
Last I heard Arizona was often called "the Grand Canyon state!" Seems to me I recall a few other scenic wonders in Arizona as well. But hey, it's been awhile since I toured the state so I suppose things may have changed.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM

Default I didn't mean to start this ...

I really didn't mean to start a debate. I love NM and live here and I think the state is gloriously beautiful (much of it). I also lived in Tucson for 9 years and Phx briefly. I happen to like AZ better. It's just personal whatever. No big deal. I was trying to make a basic point that I don't think living in AZ would be the potential culture shock that I think NM can be and WAS for me. You can talk about Yuma in AZ and Carlsbad in NM and neither are garden spots. Most of northern NM is just glorious, but so is northern AZ (and lots of other parts of AZ). Just personal taste.

I still feel that asking the OP to consider AZ is a good idea. I still think it will provide her much of what she was asking for without the culture shock and without giving up anything else.

And yes, look it up: NM is very poor compared to much of the rest of the country. And has an incredibly low literacy rate. The problem as I see it is the areas that are good for employment are the oil fields in SE NM (Artesia, Hobbs, Carlsbad). I used to live in Carlsbad. I don't think most people would get excited about either the weather (very hot) or the scenery. But, you know, it's a big world filled with lots of people and you never know. She might just love it. But I thought her original post mentioned something about not liking hot weather. Prescott has pretty good weather and for a nurse, probably pretty good employment prospects. And I feel really safe saying it would be cheaper probably to live in Prescott than Santa Fe or Taos.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Default And ... on corruption

And the prior poster is right that the official corruption probably won't affect her, but it did me, and it could her. And if it does affect you, if it is something that you get exposed to, that you actually bump into and see, it's incredibly ugly and disturbing. I know there's a certain amount of it everywhere, but I came here from "someplace east of NM," and it wasn't anything like this. Not anything. And for all the problems AZ does have, I don't think they have the corruption problem NM has. I could be wrong. If someone has info on that, I'd love to be made aware of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico