U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 AM

28 posts, read 226,308 times

Advertisements

My husband has a new possible job and one of the places that is on our list to choose from is Farmington. I have read that the area has a really high crime rate and am not sure if this is the kind of place I want to raise my children. However, I'm curious to hear from those that have lived or live there currently think about the crime problem.

Is it really that bad? Is it just in certain parts of town? What about raising your kids there? Do you feel safe?

I've also heard about problems with drunk driving and accidents. Any thoughts on that?

Last, is there any surrounding towns that are safer that we could live in that wouldn't be too much of a drive to Farmington?

I'd appreciate any help on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM

29 posts, read 83,305 times
We live in Aztec 10 minutes from Farmington. We have lived in the area for 18 years and have never personally encountered any crime. If you live in the 'ghetto " area that is in any town if your kids join a gang, that are in all towns in the US, you might have crime. But we find it to be a great place to raise our kids. Aztec has a very nice small town feel with activites, great library programs for kids, always a praade or event. Bloomfield has no real main street and not real town feel, (my brother and his family live there)
Kirtland is where my hubby works and it is Navajo and the primarily Mormon , if you are LDS this is fine, if you are not, it is not so fine, kind of like a little Utah.

Drunk driving is a problem in all NM. But mostly on the res, not to be prejudice but tha is reality. We don't stay out late (after 11 or so on weeknds.) Our county has some of the toughest drunk driving laws in the country now and things are changing.

We love Aztec and the houses are a little cheaper and you are only 45 minutes from Durango Colo. We home school but I think Aztec schools are the best in the area too. They just opened the first charter school in the area.

Mesavista

Old 09-07-2006, 11:36 PM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
You are right Mesavista. I would live in Aztec too if I lived there. My other choice would be in the north or east of Farmington in the nicer areas. The homes can be costly though in Farmington. I just like the small town feel of Aztec. Farmington is big with lots of traffic. Honestly though, I don't feel unsafe in Farmington. The Native Americans are generally nice, quiet people. There are a few alcoholics and that is just a fact. Generally though most are out in the west of Farmington and Shiprock. If you stay in the east side or north side, you wont have any problems. I see lots of families in both Aztec and Farmington, so it can't be that bad or they wouldn't be there.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:19 AM

4 posts, read 8,536 times
I will be moving to newcomb next month to teach there. What would I expect there? Pls tell me something about the culture of the new Mexicans. Thank You. I'll be teaching in Newcomb High School. Pls tell me something about the housing there.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:17 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
irenea - check the city stats section of this website. More info than you can process.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:44 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,145,525 times
I think of Farmington as a little city in a small town,its got almost everything you need.Farmington is more of a Las Cruces or Santa Fe,than it is a Clovis or Roswell.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,799 times
Farmington is a pretty good town . although what you heard about drunk drivers is true thats mainly at night and if your driving onto most of the reservation around the area. If I had to move here it would be in aztec thats about a 10 min drive from farmington. Bloomfied is where most of the gangs live and the crime is mostly drivin by some sort of mess around them and their friends and thier friends. My brother was murderd here in farmington but just like i said , you have nothing to worry about if you have no direct contact with them. I have lived in farmington for 22 years and I havent had any problems other than the occasionally pissed off driver thats in a rush to go where there needing to. The advice i would give you is stay as far away from shiprock, kirtland and the west side of town. Ther nicer places are far east and towds aztec. hope that helped alittle . and hope that when you make your choice you are satisfied with it .

Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 AM

4 posts, read 8,536 times
GregW, thank you... Anyone Who is a teacher of newcomb High School? Please tell me something...

Old 12-05-2007, 12:59 PM

186 posts, read 559,709 times
Irenamonico, I teach at Newcomb Middle School. Anything you need to know, or are curious about, just ask. I've been teaching here since last year. I've heard that they hired a few math teachers. I'm guessing you are one of them?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 PM

186 posts, read 559,709 times
By the way, Newcomb Middle School is right next to Newcomb High School (they share a cafeteria)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico