Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM

53 posts, read 146,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It's not perfect, there is corruption, but it's not being ruled by the cartels either.
Well, caphillsee77, I guess we can all move there since it hasn't yet sunk to the level of violence we see in Mexico.

natalie

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-05-2011 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 02:34 PM

53 posts, read 146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Freedom from fear cannot be provided by any outside entity. Freedom from fear is only created by the individual. Lady Jessica, in Dune, was right. "Fear is the mind killer. Know your fear and make it yours and it will cease to control you." This is the best advice I have ever read about being afraid.

Natalie456 - I suggest you take all the information you have and study it to see if your fear of violence is well founded. If your fear is random violence, learn how to avoid it. If it is personal attack learn how to defend yourself. No one else can protect you or keep you perfectly safe. Anywhere! Wishing they could will not make it so.
GregW,
Wish I could be a 'Yogi' and eliminate all fear; I doubt that is biologically possible. However, I am a mere mortal, albeit with self defense training and a good knowledge of how to avoid violence, one way is to not go to places listed as one of the most violent in the nation.
Natalie

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-05-2011 at 05:53 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 05:48 PM

372 posts, read 709,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie456 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

GregW,
Wish I could be a 'Yogi' and eliminate all fear; I doubt that is biologically possible. However, I am a mere mortal, albeit with self defense training and a good knowledge of how to avoid violence, one way is to not go to places listed as one of the most violent in the nation.
Natalie
Just curious, but where are you getting your "facts" from?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM

121 posts, read 297,824 times
I know for a fact that some crimes don't get reported or made public. I committed a crime in a small town in NM that never even made the local paper, but I have seen the same type of crime reported in ABQ papers and its not too common. I was arrested for it though but thank goodness the crime was never made public. This was in the late 90's.

I've also done other crimes that never made the paper, me and my friends were wild, but now I'm boring.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:21 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,600,139 times
Quote:
From almost all of these posts, I can see why NM continues to be in top 5 on every reputable list of the most violent states. Residents deny it, or rationalize it as being ok for one reason or another.I was hoping that there would be a growing movement for reform in the state; I can see that isn't going to happen, and that is sad for all of us.
Natalie
Wow,
Just wow.

You've never been here, choose to rely solely on statistics to make a decision about visiting here, and call those of us who do live here liars when we offer actual real-life examples of what it is like to live here.

BTW - Forbes just released their top ten list of most violent U.S. cities with populations of 200,000+. Albuquerque was not on it. Might want to re-think that next trip to Las Vegas, NV though.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 PM

186 posts, read 463,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Wow,
Just wow.

You've never been here, choose to rely solely on statistics to make a decision about visiting here, and call those of us who do live here liars when we offer actual real-life examples of what it is like to live here.

BTW - Forbes just released their top ten list of most violent U.S. cities with populations of 200,000+. Albuquerque was not on it. Might want to re-think that next trip to Las Vegas, NV though.
You beat me to it...I was just going to mention the new list of most dangerous cities.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,600,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
You beat me to it...I was just going to mention the new list of most dangerous cities.

Gotta say, I was sure surprised to see Anchorage, AK on that list.

Daily evidence notwithstanding, it is always nice to have objective verification for my perceptions of Las Cruces, which is of course, available to anyone who looks for it:

Farmer's Insurance 2010 Safest Cities

1. Olympia, Wash.
2. Sioux Falls, S.D.
3. Bellingham, Wash.
4. Kennewick–Richland–Pasco, Wash.
5. Fargo, N.D.–Moorhead, Minn.
6. Rochester, Minn.
7. Duluth, Minn.–Superior, Wis.
8. Binghamton, N.Y.
9. Lynchburg, Va.
10. Burlington, Vt.
11. St. Cloud, Minn.
12. Green Bay, Wis.
13. Yakima, Wash.
14. Appleton, Wis.
15. Spokane, Wash.
16. Bremerton–Silverdale, Wash.
17. Boulder, Colo.
18. Cedar Rapids, Iowa
19. Fayetteville–Springdale–Rogers, Ark.
20. Las Cruces, N.M.

Farmers Insurance

Been pretty postive for the last four years or so:

Las Cruces Safe City

Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,648,894 times
Quote:
Well, caphillsee77, I guess we can all move there since it hasn't yet sunk to the level of violence we see in Mexico.

natalie
Well natalie, since I don't live in a constant state of fear, know how to defend myself, and through life experiences having been through some tumultuous times here in Mass. (a much lower crime state in terms of stats) and having developed a thick skin from it, yes I do find New Mexico a desirable place to move to with so many positive attributes to focus on that I'd rather be putting my time and energy into. I look forward to moving there with great enthusiasm and gusto. You know that saying, you get what you give? I'm a true believer in that manifesting itself in many different ways. I'm pretty sure if I spent my time worrying about crime statistics and government corruption I'd probably become a lot more vulnerable myself to such experiences, regardless of geography. And even if I do, I'll find a way to get through it, learn from it, and move on as I've done in the past. Life is too short to spend so much time dwelling on negative things that could potentially be coming down the pike.

As for New Mexico, well there are so many things to love about it that statistics seem rather arbitrary to me. I’d be happy to elaborate on that end of the spectrum. Sorry to disappoint you by not feeding into your negative feedback which I see as adding to the problem, not the solution. I can't control what others do, but by living the best life I possibly can for me hopefully that may set a contagious example. That's what positive people have done for me and that's the way I'd rather live. I also look forward to becoming part of the community there, helping and contributing to it in the best way I can. I see that and the challenges I may face there as a great opportunity.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-05-2011 at 10:17 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 12:15 AM

713 posts, read 1,839,959 times
Quote:
Hello all.
I am posting this in 'general' because it has an aspect that may be of common interest.
I have been researching relocation options for -FIVE- years. I have file cabinets filled with information. I came to believe that New Mexico might be an option. But upon further research I found that it is number one on many lists as being the most violent state in the nation, and in the top five on other lists. Surely, I thought, there must be some safe areas? No, not that I have found. I now discover that it is in the top 5 for most corrupt states.
Why are the citizens of New Mexico putting up with this?! [And please, none of the usual mouthwash I hear from some of that state's residents, saying crime is everywhere so this somehow makes it ok. That is just not true.]
What is the point of civilization if not to make a common contract of mutual protection? Freedom from fear is a basic. If you are unsafe in your home, what else matters? Is this just going to continue? Is New Mexico going to be the first state to bring the war in Mexico into the US?
Natalie
Natalie (or should I just call you troll), I've lived in NM all my life, and I have had one incident. My home was broken into on New Year's Eve about 30 years ago. Oh, and instead of replacing a broken window, I just put a cardboard over it because a New Year's Eve party was more important. Someone pushed in the cardboard and crawled in. Other than that, I've had nothing happen. No fights, assaults, robberies, purse snatchings, peeping toms or home invasions. Nothing. So, if New Mexico isn't an option for you anymore, your loss. We sure won't be missing you.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 AM

9,334 posts, read 20,680,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Gotta say, I was sure surprised to see Anchorage, AK on that list.

Daily evidence notwithstanding, it is always nice to have objective verification for my perceptions of Las Cruces, which is of course, available to anyone who looks for it:

Farmer's Insurance 2010 Safest Cities

1. Olympia, Wash.
2. Sioux Falls, S.D.
3. Bellingham, Wash.
4. Kennewick–Richland–Pasco, Wash.
5. Fargo, N.D.–Moorhead, Minn.
6. Rochester, Minn.
7. Duluth, Minn.–Superior, Wis.
8. Binghamton, N.Y.
9. Lynchburg, Va.
10. Burlington, Vt.
11. St. Cloud, Minn.
12. Green Bay, Wis.
13. Yakima, Wash.
14. Appleton, Wis.
15. Spokane, Wash.
16. Bremerton–Silverdale, Wash.
17. Boulder, Colo.
18. Cedar Rapids, Iowa
19. Fayetteville–Springdale–Rogers, Ark.
20. Las Cruces, N.M.

Farmers Insurance

Been pretty postive for the last four years or so:

Las Cruces Safe City
The Farmers Insurance link is interesting because the website openly questions the ranking of Yakima Washington, which I've heard from another source, prior to reading this link, has a high property crime index. I think what I can conclude is that many of these lists have different criteria in terms of ranking, and lack empirical evidence.

I know that living in New Jersey, I was never the victim of a crime, but within a short time span in Las Cruces our cars were burglarized in our driveway twice and our home was nearly broken into, save for my mother in law being present at the time, thus scaring off the perpetrators. I will admit this spree was consolidated within about a month and a half, but it was still very unnerving. Nothing else to report since then, other than my kids leaving toys out on the front yard, only to have them 'disappear' the following day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico