Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 02:37 AM

6 posts, read 30,103 times

Advertisements

According to a local source, the "Lordsburg Door" is a time portal or interdimensional portal.

I don't know anything about such things, but I have heard that an emergency room nurse in Silver refers to the Lordsburg area as the "Lordsburg Triangle" due to all the weird things that happen there. And, I remember some strange, old, family stories about the area. But, I think I would stay away from a portal if I knew it really existed. I have enough problems in this dimension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,723 times
I frequently travel through Lordsburg en route to Tuscon so my opinion is probably worthless but here goes! I think the town your relatives described no longer exists. It is pretty much a place where people get off I-10 to get gas and go to McDonalds.

Also, I work in a field where I learn about different areas of the country and one thing about Lordsburg, Deming, etc. is that there is a pretty active methamphetamine community in these rural areas for obvious reasons. So, you kind of need to display a little caution if you drive around out in the desert as you don't know what you might come upon. I have actually had a man point a shotgun at my face when I rang his doorbell for directions in Deming. Believe me when I say I do not look like an intruder or a cop. Some people I have met in Deming have this kind of siege mentality which makes some sense given that these are isolated places where people do want to live because they feel they cannot or do not want to connect with others.

Also, in terms of the drive, here is something to consider. The wind can blow to the point that it will close I-10 from Lordsburg to Las Cruces (mostly in Spring). The road to Silver City is a good road but you have to consider that the dust will blow up suddenly and there will literally be no visibility. A couple of years ago I was traveling on the Silver City road when one of these storms blew up. Not thirty minutes later, a vehicle behind me with an elderly couple could no longer see to drive. They stopped in the traffic lane of this road and did not pull to the side. They were killed by another motorist. So, I agree the roads are good but take the weather precautions seriously.

From what I can see it does not look like Lordsburg is going to be enjoying a big comeback any time soon. But, I would have thought that about Deming five years ago and judging from posts it would seem that town is coming around.

I would choose Silver or Truth or Consequences or the Mimbres Valley, etc. as opposed to Lordsburg but that is just me! Good luck.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 PM

6 posts, read 30,103 times
<i>If you are a train person, Lordsburg would be the place.</i>

Some relatives worked for the Southern Pacific out of Lordsburg. An uncle was killed on the tracks outside of Lordsburg 60 or 70 years ago.

<i>The wind can blow to the point that it will close I-10 from Lordsburg to Las Cruces (mostly in Spring). The road to Silver City is a good road but you have to consider that the dust will blow up suddenly and there will literally be no visibility.</i>

Aren't there flash floods around there? I had some cousins who were killed in their car when they were caught in a flash flood somewhere around there. What about sidewinders? Do you find them on your porch? I heard there are some big ones there. Actually, the place is starting to sound good. I like wild places (Edward Abbey reader here).

<i>...there is a pretty active methamphetamine community in these rural areas for obvious reasons. So, you kind of need to display a little caution if you drive around out in the desert as you don't know what you might come upon...</i>

The tweakers are to be found in every rural community. We also have them here. But, thanks for the advice. A paranoid tweaker with a shotgun is bad news.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Default Flash Floods

CA Refugee wondered:

> Aren't there flash floods around there? I had some cousins who
> were killed in their car when they were caught in a flash flood ...

99% of the time, people killed in "Flash Floods" are not "caught in
them," rather, they try to cross the flooded arroyo (by car or by
foot - doesn't matter) and are swept away by a severe lack of
knowledge of physics.

Flash Floods are not a wall of water like from a broken dam or levee,
but rather a dry stream bed that starts as a trickle, then a flow,
then a gush ... you get the idea. It may happen fast, but fast,
like in minutes. There's always time to get out of the way.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 AM

101 posts, read 386,160 times
"severe lack of knowledge of physics" Love it!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:56 AM

40 posts, read 156,987 times
Western New Mexico University would most likely suit any of your needs. The tuition is priced right and you are less than an hour to Lordsburg. Check out Tyrone which is about a 45 minute drive to Lordsburg and the home prices are around 150k and I will be happy to show any home there. I have a couple of 140k range homes available in Silver as well.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM

40 posts, read 156,987 times
Santa Rita is not onthe map because the mine tailings covered it up. it is between Bayard and Fierro/Hanover.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Refugee View Post
According to a local source, the "Lordsburg Door" is a time portal or interdimensional portal.

I don't know anything about such things, but I have heard that an emergency room nurse in Silver refers to the Lordsburg area as the "Lordsburg Triangle" due to all the weird things that happen there. And, I remember some strange, old, family stories about the area. But, I think I would stay away from a portal if I knew it really existed. I have enough problems in this dimension.
Thanks, CA refugee. We took a roadtrip last weekend to SIlver City and Lordsburg in search of the "Lordsburg Door". Silver City seemed like a nice community. Lordsburg, well, I wrote quite a bit about it on my blog.
Desert of the Real Economic Analysis: 09/03/07

Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
JJR

1 posts, read 3,632 times
Having had the opportunity to also live in the Lordsburg area for many years, I must say the feedback from many of the posters makes it sound dismal. It's a small town with a small town atmosphere. The people are warm and friendly. The population is down to about 2800. Yes, the town took a financial hit when Phelps Dodge Mining Corporation shut down the Playas Smelter but the town continues to go on.....turning into a ghost town? Not in the near nor distant future. The majority of the population is Hispanic but believe or not...they all speak English! Yes, it is remote...2 1/2 hours to either El Paso or Tucson. Yes, they have paramedics, fire department, etc. I plan on moving back when I retire...money does last longer due to the low cost of living. I guess it all depends where a person sets their priorities...doesn't it?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:09 AM

29 posts, read 139,353 times
Lordsburg is a VERY flat, VERY windy VERY dusty town who's main street has closed down. It is a truck/train stop town along the I-10. I live in Silver City and have become a Gila Wilderness snob I am afraid. If you are going to move to New Mexico or to a smaller town, consider Silver. GREAT place to reinvent your life!
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico