Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 05:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Most NYT artickes are available, for a fee, on thier website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
TigerLily:

Thanks for posting this link. The article is very positive, and hopefully, will help Las Vegas's tourism. It's a nice little city with an interesting history and lovely architecture.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Smile New York Times Online is Free Now

They changed their policy about a month ago. All content is now available for free. I think you just have to sign up, like you do with the Washington Post Online.

Glad you all enjoyed the article

Old 01-04-2008, 01:52 PM

13 posts, read 39,376 times
Default Raton NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
I too have heard good things about Raton and I am planning on going to see the area in a couple of weeks. I want to swing by and see it as I have never been to Raton. I have heard it is a great place to live but it does get cold in the winter but not bitter cold because it had dry humidity. I have been trying to get people from the Raton area to speak about it but I guess nobody from there has been to this site except one person described it as a pretty nice place and be sure if you visit, go visit the extinct volcano Capulin. So anybody else out there know about Raton? I like that you can go into Colorado really fast too.
Raton is a nice town. I lived there for twelve years or so, and graduated from high school trere. I, am thinking of retireing there and just purchased some land.l Location is nice,water is real good. Real nice country but a little remote even though Trinadad is close, and also a nice drive. They just built a new hospitol and are tring to get doctors to come in. The town used to really thrive but is in a depressed state mainly due to the mine closing a few years back. I wish I could get more feedback but no one writes much about Raton. Tough decision to retire there, any feed back would help.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I like Raton pertty well, although it is remote. As I recall, there isn't a lot there, which is both good and bad. It has real winters. The area is gorgeous, especially toward Eagle Nest.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 13,661 times
Default Las Vegas is a good town!

I've lived here with my family for three years, having moved from California. We are "anglos" and have been welcomed here, but you can't come here and act like you're still living in some suburb of a typical, corporate, big-box suburb. People here greet you and speak politely, more quietly than what you may be used to, like years ago. And though there are many poor people here that doesn't mean they are inferior or lacking in other ways. Don't try to live here if you can't get off your high horse! Come here with the idea that you will honor the history and help the town improve and you will be appreciated and welcomed. This place is culturally rich and full of interesting people and surprises. A good site to learn more is http://mytinyvegas.com

Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I wonder how the natives would respond to an unreconstructed New England Yankee? I am frugal, polite to strangers, opinionated, but tend to keep qiuet (sometimes).

Las Vegas is on my list of places to set up my stand alone heat and electricity business. Is there any space for rent that could accomodate a machine and assembly shop?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM

212 posts, read 689,209 times
If it's any consolation, Hollywood has taken over the town. Or maybe that bit of info is more likely to send you running in the opposite direction. Haha. But Jake Gyllenhaal, Natalie Portman, and Tobey Maguire were here not too long ago. My friend got to work alongside Tobey Keith the week before last. It's been pretty exciting.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 PM

212 posts, read 689,209 times
Also, for anyone interested in Las Vegas' movie history, I just found a neat video on YouTube that discusses it.
YouTube - Las Vegas, New Mexico - America's Oldest Film Location

Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,939 times
Smile I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder how the natives would respond to an unreconstructed New England Yankee? I am frugal, polite to strangers, opinionated, but tend to keep qiuet (sometimes).

Las Vegas is on my list of places to set up my stand alone heat and electricity business. Is there any space for rent that could accomodate a machine and assembly shop?
I never lived there, but for a year I went there and hung out in coffee shops etc two days a week (there is a boring explanation for this) and met a varied friendly population.

I can't imagine you would offend anyone. And I can't imagine that space is at a premium. It seemed like there are quite a few vacant buildings perhaps as a result of the decline of the railroads.

(And the coffee shop has free wireless.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico