Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 11:05 AM

107 posts, read 273,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Are there any big towns/cities in NH or is it mostly rural? How does a small town in NH compare to something small like Cloudcroft or Hillsboro or Corona (etc. etc.) in terms of crime? I would think that a large place like Santa Fe would have a crime problem - maybe not huge but at least some. Especially with proximity to Albuquerque?
You make a good point there Ognend. I looked up a few statistics and here are my results:

North Conway NH ( population 8600)- personal crime rate: 32 per 10,000 residents
Corona NM (pop. 165)- PCR: 34 per 10,000
Hillsboro (pop. 162): PCR 44 per 10,000
Santa Fe( pop143,000): 45 per 10,000

Actually they're all pretty close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 11:23 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanfordR View Post

Santa Fe( pop143,000)
Where did you get your statistics? Santa Fe (the city) has approx. half that population.

You must mean the COUNTY of Santa Fe, which is approx. 143,000.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:24 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Oh hah! You have a juvenile that would have gotten off with a slap on the wrist if indeed he were ever caught for the crime.

I can think of another place that should have also been kicked, just for good measure...and it does NOT matter where this took place. The kid didn't deserve any better.
Maybe we should institute something like Saudi Arabia law or some other similar place where theft is punishable by chopping off the hand? Or adultery with the guillotine?

The punishment should fit the crime, in my humble opinion. Kicking someone in the head and leaving them on the ground is a bit harsh for a crime like purse snatching. The kid maybe deserves a good swift kick in the behind but not a concussion, internal head bleeding or any of the other possibilities. It is also not befitting of a grown man to commit such a harsh act and walk away. Especially since their lives were not in danger.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Maybe we should institute something like Saudi Arabia law or some other similar place where theft is punishable by chopping off the hand? Or adultery with the guillotine?
No, a good kick in the head or crotch will suffice.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:28 PM

107 posts, read 273,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Where did you get your statistics? Santa Fe (the city) has approx. half that population.

You must mean the COUNTY of Santa Fe, which is approx. 143,000.
You're right- Santa Fe is about 62,000 ( Sorry about that).

Old 09-04-2009, 03:51 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Hi Everyone,

I am the quy who started this post (under the name fungi), and I am reporting back that I never received an offer from Highlands. I interviewed there and liked the area a lot, but I suppose it is all academic at this point. Pun and irony intended. In any case, I found the people to be lovely, and I really appreciate all the feedback on this forum!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:11 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,063 times
I like the town to visit and hang out -- but from a distance the schools don't look too great. Nobody has mentioned the sodomizing incident -- but a bunch of older football players sodomized some younger football players in a hazing incident at one of the two high schools. One of the guilty parties got probation even though some parents reported that he was threatening their children. As far as I know the next year he was back in the other high school.

Why did he get probation? Probably a politically connected family, but I don't know. Point is that a convicted sodomizer is attending school there and has gotten away with it. There is no way I would raise a child in that town.

I tell this to you because you have a five year old son and coming from Oregon it probably never occurred to you that this sort of thing goes on.

Re Highlands. I would not put too much stock in where the faculty send their kids -- unless you know the specific faculty member. Some of them are barely literate themselves.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:31 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,063 times
Another thing about Highlands and some of the other "universities" is that it seems acceptable to appoint politicians with no particular qualifications to high administrative positions. A recent president on NMHU, Manny Aragon, an ex Speaker of the House, is now in prison for crimes committed while he was still Speaker. While he was President he fired several Anglo (that's you) faculty for no reason other than that they were Anglos. They sued and got settlements but not that much really. It was not enough for the disruption of their lives.

He is no longer President -- a felony conviction does seem to disqualify you for the Presidency -- but could it happen again? Yes, of course. The political system is unchanged.

Again I tell you all this because I suspect that you might not know that things like this go on.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 PM

39 posts, read 150,933 times
Default Lving in LV but wanting to leave

If you are white and non-hispanic you might feel disconnected. I am already planning my escape even before I get out of grad school. I just feel no connection other than NMHU to the community. I feel alone here and far from family and friends. Those that I have contacted that got a good job here seem stuck and haven't managed to get out. the population is going down so there must be a reason for that.If you are stuck in the graduate housing the **** roaches will keep you up at night.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:32 PM

39 posts, read 150,933 times
Default We need more faculty at NMHU

I'm from Oregon and actually moved here for the school and the climate. People are friendly here but there is culture shock of being a minority if you don't know anyone here. What I lerned living on the rez as a pale skin is make a freind in each dept and agency and business you deal with. You can survive by being interconnected. We seem to have a shortage of faculty so come on down. It is pleasant here but just doesn't feel like home to me. It might feel like home to you since you will be able to aford a place to stay and will have a good job. People are nice here.It might help to fit in better to learn Spanish.

Last edited by backslacker; 09-13-2009 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico