Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
LOL. I would not go so far as to call LV's clannishness "everywhere USA."

As someone who interviewed for teaching positions there, I would say it's a bit unique. I was blatantly told by an administrator that he would love to hire me with my qualifications; yet, even if I were hispanic, I could never get my foot in the door as an outsider.

Don't get me wrong, I philosophically agree with their support of their local newly trained educators.

Indeed the Las Vegas area and architecture is very beautiful. The local food is delicious. For someone with a solid job, Vegas would be a great possibility.

We have a relative at Highlands and have never heard of any problems for him. He seems to enjoy it there. But I'm not sure about the public schools in LV.

In answer to the question what small town is not as insular and clannish to newcomers, I can name a few in northern NM: Dixon, Tesuque, Embudo, Aztec, Ojo Sarco, Taos, even Santa Fe, although I don't consider SF small.

I guess I just would never agree that LV is "everywhere USA."

you have to cut the guy some slack, he's from back east, no one fully understands NM unless you were raised here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
you have to cut the guy some slack, he's from back east, no one fully understands NM unless you were raised here.
OK, consider some slack cut!! LOL!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Thanks for the slack, folks. I was thinking that some of the NM towns were like some of the smaller town in the NH rural north.

If and when we ever move out there learning Spanish will be one of my highest priorities with learning the culture a close second.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Even the Spanish here is not the same as the Spanish you will learn anywhere else. If you learn the local Spanish you will be a curiosity; if you learn to speak another variety (like a homogenized Latin American version, like I do) you will just be another gringo who speaks Spanish and thinks he knows something ("se cree"). I work in a job for which knowledge of Spanish is required (in ABQ), and the first year I got several comments like, "they should have hired a Hispanic for your job, what are you doing here?" I agreed it would have been ideal for a native-speaking Hispanic to be in my job but none applied for it, so here I am.

I totally understand the sentiment behind the attitude. Thanks to the (well-founded) local suspicion of outsiders, New Mexico has been able to preserve a lot of its local culture for a very long time, that's what makes it so unique. Outsiders, I would say, gain acceptance and make friends not by learning Spanish, but by going with the flow and rhythm of life, being accepting and open to the culture and adapting to it. Appreciate and respect the traditions even if you don't choose to partake in them. Trying to speak Spanish with the local Hispanic population (many of whom do not speak Spanish themselves) will seem initially like a nice gesture but will eventually test their patience. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a lifelong proponent of language learning, I'm just saying don't think this one thing is going to help you "fit in")

To understand a little about the local perspective, rent The Milagro Beanfield War if you haven't seen it already.

Last edited by aries63; 04-28-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 12:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Even the Spanish here is not the same as the Spanish you will learn anywhere else. If you learn the local Spanish you will be a curiosity; if you learn to speak another variety (like a homogenized Latin American version, like I do) you will just be another gringo who speaks Spanish and thinks he knows something ("se cree"). I work in a job for which knowledge of Spanish is required (in ABQ), and the first year I got several comments like, "they should have hired a Hispanic for your job, what are you doing here?" I agreed it would have been ideal for a native-speaking Hispanic to be in my job but none applied for it, so here I am.

I totally understand the sentiment behind the attitude. Thanks to the (well-founded) local suspicion of outsiders, New Mexico has been able to preserve a lot of its local culture for a very long time, that's what makes it so unique. Outsiders, I would say, gain acceptance and make friends not by learning Spanish, but by going with the flow and rhythm of life, being accepting and open to the culture and adapting to it. Appreciate and respect the traditions even if you don't choose to partake in them. Trying to speak Spanish with the local Hispanic population (many of whom do not speak Spanish themselves) will seem initially like a nice gesture but will eventually test their patience. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a lifelong proponent of language learning, I'm just saying don't think this one thing is going to help you "fit in")

To understand a little about the local perspective, rent The Milagro Beanfield War if you haven't seen it already.

such a great and honest post, rep points for you

Old 05-11-2010, 12:16 AM

39 posts, read 150,950 times
I am not a tourist. Twice I have tried to live in Las Vegas. It is beautiful and love that it has amtrak. I just spent $20,000 on an educaction to get a job if I am lucky in a field that doesn't take a master's degree that I already had experience in. Now I am going to have student loans coming out of my social security.I haven't been able to get an internship in two semesters and was told I will have to relocate clear out of the state or take a job I was qualified for before my educations. this is the second time I have moved out of Las Vegas. Don't get me wrong. there are great people there and it has three colleges and a hot springs. You will have to travel to shop or get a job probably. Every part of NM is different. I have lived in many parts of NM. I wondered here in the 70's and ended up in Toas and love it where I moved to which is an hour from Las Vegas or left. Watch out of that speed trp in Pecos and for road blacks by 84. Road blocks are not constitution al in the rest of the United States. I have great friends in las Vegas but we are all going to have to leave NM to get jobs or move to Albuquerque. No Thank you. Las Vegas is fine in some ways. Housing is expensive for the lack of good jobs. It is fine for a train stop.I am from the west coast but have lived allot of places. The more money you have and can get the higher your understanding. I live down the road from the batman Ranch and he didn't have much to say about las Vegas.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 AM

39 posts, read 150,950 times
To aries 63:

I lived in the Native Amercican part of NM where Spanish people were considered white and I have a hispanic name but don't speak Spanish and am not Hispanic. I moved from Las Vegas into one of those little bean field villages that was stolen from the Apache's. I am treated well here but need to learn Spanish to talk to my nieghbors. Personally I experience the stone wall in Las Vegas. Can't get medical care or even answers to a question from people paid to help me. I look white and have no connections to anything and have to fight for everything out here just to partake in the absolute beauty of the place. There are always people who want to destroy your dreams and peace out in the world and here. How can such a beautiful place suck on so many other levels. We still are in the United States and used to have Civil rights instead of fighting for them or get run off because we stand up for our rights out here.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
I am considering moving to Las Vegas, NM. Is there any such thing as an townhome or house with an attached garage for rent?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backslacker View Post
Road blocks are not constitution al in the rest of the United States.
They aren't? Someone needs to tell the authorities in Texas.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,834 times
Las Vegas has hot springs, historical sites, a sweet library, nice little downtown area and a great looking "plaza". I like the second hand stores (old school Schwinn) and found the little theater to be romantic. I've hiked, walked and just hung out there and found this to be a nice little town. It seem some towns just get bad reputations from isolated events or ignorant people, but in reality I think those are few and far between but it just snowballs as the "knitting circles" evolve. Anyway, people should just give it a chance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico