Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 13,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
I just drove through Las Vegas for the first (and hopefully) the last time in my life. From the hwy there are attempts to attract tourists so we decided to check it out. It is one of the most run down, ugliest city I have ever seen. It reminded me of a third world country. I can't believe cities like that actually exist in the U.S. I really wanted to give the place a chance so I drove around only to find trash, junk yards and rusting automobiles lying everywhere. And lets not forget the run down trailer homes and shacks that were residental homes.

This can't be a city that someone should consider to move to lightly. You have to be pretty desperate or taken there against your will.

I always though that people on this board liked to be pessimistic and bad-mouth NM. But this trip was a real eye-opener for me. I am upset to admit that Las Vegas, NM is indeed a dump at best. Sorry.
Oh, come on. What single street did you see to form your opinion? Not the Plaza, certainly. Not the busy downtown. "Drive through" any city or town once, and you're more likely to be disappointed than to like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,259 times
Talking The Original Las Vegas

Well Las Vegas , New Mexico is getting belittled once again by the people that are truly racist. Yes it has 2 school districts once again the choice is red or green which is our state ? but this means CARDS OR DONS ! Here in Las Vegas which I think have the best atheletes in our district thru the state. When I was younger my uncle was with his wife and myself were going to eat and she was laffing about the serf which is another word for slavery which is the name of a movie theater in l.v.n.m. from way back also was commenting about another name of ****-span of a restaurant which once again is racist about Las Vegas Locals ,folks , or, gente which ever you choose is fine with us that have lived here and others who haved but moved because job opportunity not as available for us we can do anything else other people do we get compared to alburquerque , santa fe for crime or litter but we don't get alot of economic job growth, but why don't we get paid better thru out the state of n.m . Other states get paid more for the same jobs done by new mexicans but we are paid less why ? All you care about saying is bad about the Original Las Vegas but what have all you people that say the drugs and violence is a big problem . Movie stars or who ever has or will talk bad about Las Vegas you might have connections talk to them we need more opportunity bring jobs and PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS AND QUIT TRYING TO KEEP PEOPLE FROM COMING TO THE ORIGINAL LAS VEGAS . There is alot more good and Acceptance for everyone in Las Vegas New Mexico than I've seen when I've gone to other parts of the country especially if your hispanic why are they racist to us but we except everyone and comments from tourists on the radio stations and newpaper have good comments of how we are willing to help neighbors or tourists and were surprised . Respect and courtsey not as common but it is still live and well here !!!!!! We our only 1 hr. from s.f. with alot move history to show come see how friendly we are . Whats 1 hour of driving from Santa Fe to see even more of new mexico's history and more mountains and fishing spots in and around The Original Las Vegas or close to the northern part of the state where we are at. Yes Las Vegas has done some better in jobs but don't put us down if you don't try to help ! What does that do for your concerns but keep the U.S. racist . Even if we were to ever win the big one which is in the millions of the powerball lottery we all probably would not move and would put our money where our mouth is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:37 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Sorry for your experience Cracker, but thats no reason to never go to New Mexico. I had a wallet stolen in England but i wouldnt warn of anybody going their ever. Common sence has to prevail. Sometimes people just have bad luck stories. If you went and visited their stores, art galleries, chamber etc you would have a plesent time. Just like i do everytime i go to meet with people from their Art Council.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,749 times
Default Relax about Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyfish View Post
Hello ... I'm planning on moving to Las Vegas for graduate studies in a month or so, but now I'm panicked. Everything I read about it before made it sound very peaceful, tame, and pleasant ... but after reading these forums, I'm kind of terrified. I don't know if I could handle living in a place with high crime and a hostile atmosphere. Is it really that bad? Are there any positives, or would it basically be horrible for a girl in her early twenties, moving away from her roots for the first time?

Poppyfish,

You can take it easy about Las Vegas. You will not be killed, raped or robbed. The crime you read about is isolated and those who seek it out will find trouble. It is an old west town that has lots of rich history, but gun fights aren't happening in the plaza anymore. We have lots of wilderness to explore and if you need city life, Santa Fe is 1 hour, Taos 1.5 hrs and Abuquerque, 13/4hrs, Denver, 4 hrs. away. If you are a skier, you will have a handfull of places to go close by.

My family is anglo that move here 10 years ago and have been accepted into the community nicely. Two boys graduated from a local highschool and one attended 3 years at Highlands, now both are at UNM. One went two years to an Iowa college and missed the NM mountains and out of doors hiking-camping and moved back here. Our daughter is in middle school and has no worries about walking the streets. The climate is wonderful, even though we have a foot of snow now. Days are pleasant. The sun shines over 300 days a year.

I have noooo problem walking the streets or worry about crime. There is some, but 99% of us never let it enter our mind. There are also a lot of progressive people here. People here are concerned about each other and you will find willing to lend a hand or help out when someone is in need.

Relax and come on over!! Oh, bring a camera cause you will want to take photos.

Este

Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,240 times
Default Reply to Panicked About Las Vegas

Whoah!! Whoah!! Whoah!! I'm just wondering if you finally moved to Las Vegas. After all of the negative replies I woudn't be surprised if you chickened out. My family is from Las Vegas and have been for generations. I grew up in Santa Fe before moving here at age 14. I'm not going to lie that it was easy at first because it wasn't. I am hispanic and had some trouble at the Middle School but that all blew over. I graduated from Robertson High School and went on to UNM but it was so big I felt lost and transferred to NM Highlands after two years. That was the best decision I ever made. The classes were so much smaller and I got to know my instructors which really helped when I needed assistance with my schoolwork. NMHU also has great resources for tutoring which I took advantage of. I also had the greatest time at NMHU and eventually met my husband there. Along with a few high school friends I still keep in touch with, our best friends were met in college here at NMHU. We moved away from Las Vegas after graduation but after eleven years in Albuquerque we moved back. I feel that is the best decision we made. We started our own business and are very involved with our children. If you bring your children up the right way and stay involved there is no need to worry who their friends are. My kids have good friends because we expected no less. Las Vegas is by no means perfect but it is not the horrible city described in other posts. Every town has its problems but you have to be aware of it and above it. Make good decisions about all aspects of your life and you should be fine. We live in a good neighborhood and have not had any problems with gangs or theft. This is a quaint little town but you have to be open minded, have patience and a bit of humor. Unfortunately there isn't a great job market other than teaching, state jobs, The NM Behavioral Health Institute, NMHU, and LCC. Santa Fe is an hour away and many people commute to work. No, Las Vegas is what you make of it. Good luck where ever you go and to the rest of you negative people, give us a break!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:21 PM

212 posts, read 689,209 times
I really hope the original poster wasn't scared off by all the naysayers. Las Vegas really isn't a place you can judge based on a few accounts by anonymous people on the internet. NO place can be judged that way.

Hopefully she gave Las Vegas a chance and tried it out for herself.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:28 PM

212 posts, read 689,209 times
I was born and raised in Albuquerque, but I'm in Las Vegas for Highlands. I love it so far! Do I plan on settling down here? No. But I have no regrets coming up here for school.

And a city chick like me is in complete awe of Montezuma Castle. I want to meet the students from the World College!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,917 times
I always heard that people in Las Vegas and Espanola didnt accept out of towners too well,even if you were hispanic and from New Mexico.I have family around the area and I've also been told from ex-natives of Las Vegas that its a rough town with lots of drunks.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:17 AM

811 posts, read 2,941,008 times
Don't believe everything you hear, sure it's not the greatest place. But it's nothing like what some people here describe.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 AM

68 posts, read 355,553 times
Default 150 new jobs for las vegas!!

just thought i would add that a new bilingual customer support center will be making its way to the small northern new mexico town..IEI financial services will be hiring 45 people within the next month 4 months and plans to hire 150 over the course of 3 years......
read on...

http://ww1.edd.state.nm.us/index.php?/news/entry/department_announces_new_bilingual_data_and_custom er_support_center_in_las_/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico