Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 AM

4,815 posts, read 4,713,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
It might be "average per snowstorm" or perhaps it's the "water equivalent" of an average winter's snowfalls?
What I suspect is that Taos data is being used for towns in the area. I found a weather website that gives the average snowfall in Eagle Nest as 62 inches, which seems more realistic. Angel Fire Resort states that average snowfall there is 120 inches. There may be a little hype in that number, but the locals I've talked with say that's pretty accurate.

Using Taos data is very misleading for two reasons. Taos is at about 7,000 feet elevation. Eagle Nest is at about 8,300 feet and Angel Fire at 8,700 feet. Elevation in that area means more cold and more snow. Also, Eagle Nest and Angel Fire are in the Moreno Valley, east of the mountains. Taos is west of the mountains. As the weather fronts move down from Colorado, they tend to get slowed down and held up by the mountains (just like in the East Mountain areas here around ABQ). That results in more severe weather for the east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 02:38 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,078,179 times
Eagle Nest is right at 8000 feet, but that isn't really significant. What I find interesting is that according to the city-data graphs, Eagle Nest is about 7 degrees colder in winter than Red River which is about 750 feet higher. It must be because of the valley and possibly the proximity of cold Eagle Nest Lake, which of course freezes on top in winter.

I love those places, but I couldn't take the winters. I like riding my motorcycle too much!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 PM

8,380 posts, read 8,593,679 times
I checked a climate site that had Eagle Nest averaging 57 inches but there was some snowfall data missing so it is probably higher. Look at year to year data (despite the missing data) it appears that close to half the years had at least 60-80-or more inches of annual snowfall and the other half had less, often 40 inches or less. Cimarron and Springer to the east appear to get considerably less snow because they are about 2,000 feet lower. Wouldn't be in the mountains like at Eagle Nest but it is still relatively close by. From Cimarron you'd be about the same time from Raton for work & services as you would be from Eagle Nest to Taos in good weather. In bad weather it would probably be easier to get to Raton than Taos. Raton would be a very different job market than Taos. Might be an option to start in Cimarron (or even Raton) and then build your cabin higher in the hills later. Or if you like Eagle Nest but want a shorter, probably easier drive to Taos maybe look at Questa.

Many spots with low property prices are that way because they aren't within reach of "good job" or many jobs period. Of course, in pretty & well-known rural places the price of property can get bid way up anyways, especially if it is within 4 hours of a metro area but sometimes even when it isn't if the folks buying have enough freedom to make their own schedule or have a plane.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-02-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,101,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Angel Fire Resort states that average snowfall there is 120 inches. There may be a little hype in that number...
I copied this from the Taos Ski web site:
Quote:
AVERAGE ANNUAL SNOWFALL

305 inches
And here's what Ski Apache - in the Sacramento Mtns. - claims:
Quote:
Annual snowfall over 15 feet (180 inches)!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 AM

131 posts, read 445,729 times
The first place that comes to mind for me in the Taos Area is Valle Escondido. While not a "town" it is a development of homes on 64 east of Taos about 15 miles. In good weather it's 20 minutes into town. I was pretty impressed with it personally as the roads and common area are maintained by the community and it was clean and organized. You don't end up with a great deal of land, my investigation found somewhere around 1/2 an acre although some lots probably are larger. I wouldn't look at it as a "back to the land" type of spot. Although there enough room for a nice garden (assuming it isn't restricted by the community). Affordable? I saw several things in the 125-150K range (Sept. 2011), not too bad for an area that commands big bucks for a home in any kind of good condition. Now the jobs part... it strikes me that if you aren't bringing a trade or have the ability to sustain yourself with a solid business venture you're likely to find very limited and not necessarily lucrative opportunities. That would be consistent with most of Northern NM in my humble opinion. It is truly a beautiful area, but I believe it has it's challenges for those not accustomed to mountain living and not having deep pockets. If it was otherwise it would be far more populated. Maybe that's the romance of the place, such beauty and the smaller population just draws our hearts there. Best wishes in your search.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,959,152 times
Wink Eagle Nest and environs

Eagle Nest is a small town, somewhat cute in a rustic kind of way, but with an emphasis on small. Very roughly the same size as Chama, and as that town with a good proportion of dirt streets. With Angel Fire to the south, it is one of two towns in the Moreno Valley, and since Taos on the far side of the pass, less isolated than Chama. Which is a nebulous kind of distinction.

Having commuted between Taos and Angel Fire before, I can relay that it is possible. Although Eagle Nest is just that much farther removed, and even to Angel Fire not a drive I would want to make every day. The best thing about it was the mountain scenery, and relative lack of traffic, particularly in winter. The roads were generally kept in good condition, but it would be beyond a good idea to have a proper vehicle with suitable tires.

Eagle Nest is said to be the coldest place in New Mexico, and I tend to believe it. Not all that bad if one likes such things, but Taos may seem somewhat balmy in comparison, and Albuquerque sub-tropical. Expect snow all winter, as cold enough to retain it, although aside from wind drifts here and there never enough accumulation to be much bother.

Angel Fire is somewhat larger than Eagle Nest, and as home to a ski resort with a different personality. There is a small grocery store in Eagle Nest, but an appreciably larger market in Angel Fire which can provide most grocery needs. Across a different pass there is another grocery market of similar size in Red River. To the east in Cimarron, yet another. But for a greater selection and more options a trip to Taos is required. Just off-hand, I could quote two larger conventional grocery stores, another organic, as well as a smaller Wal-Mart. If into heavier-duty shopping, then continue south from there to Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

The greater issue you are likely to have is with employment. There is not a lot in Eagle Nest or Angel Fire, and that possibly seasonal. Taos is the best option in such things, and if the largest thing going in north-central New Mexico, still but a small isolated town. It may feel like the big city to you after awhile if living in Eagle Nest, but employment options there are limited, and often tourism based in some way. Moreover it is the kind of place where nepotism is alive and well, if on the down low. In other words, it will probably really help if you end up the friend of a friend, and simpatico. A lot of smaller towns are like that.

If preferring to live near Taos, then like many another you might rough it to one degree or another by living outside of town in the sagebrush. Lots of various options in that, from sumptuous to how big is your car and how cold at night. Of course you could always decamp directly in Taos, and discover that rents there are perhaps modest by some outside standards, but then adjust that for relatively low local wages. Nevertheless, it can be a pleasant place to live with an interesting, eclectic ambience.

If wanting a town town, but not Taos, then you could bypass Rancho de Taos, which is basically Taos South, to head a bit downriver to the small artist hamlet of Dixon. If memory serves, Eagle Nest might even outsize it. Or head north of Taos in the other direction to Questa, being more of a traditional hispanic community. Arroyo Hondo is closer, but basically a collection of residences. Arroyo Seco, towards Taos Ski Valley, might be more promising, as actually something of a quite abbreviated downtown, but otherwise charming.

Arroyo Seco and environs might not be a bad place at all to land, as also a fairly simple drive into Taos. But it comes at a price, as one of the more desirable areas. Which will, in one measure or another, prove to be something of a recurrent theme in northern New Mexico. There is a certain enchantment in the land which can draw one, even if the mountains are not objectively as spectacular as nearby Colorado. But plenty nice enough, and with a culture and overall feel that many locals, or those aspiring to be, consider second to none. But for a certain imported wealth from outside interests, Taos remains a relatively poor town in a poor region in a poor state. This, primarily an economic consideration, but one that will have to be contended with unless you are otherwise wealthy.

Taos has grown of late, and not always in a great way. But there is a reason why that lower portion of the San Luis Valley, or neighborhood of Eagle Nest for that matter, is not entirely overrun with condos. A good reason to live there if you can, but to only a bit less extent than Chama, you'll probably really need to want to.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM

68 posts, read 171,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post

jazzlover's comments about the 64 are right on mark. It's simply US 64, or just 64.

This the whole problem with living in a Hayden, Oak Creek, Walden, Hotchkiss, La Veta, Westcliffe, Dolores, Meeker, Eagle Nest, Cimmaron, Questa, Del Norte, Norwood, Rollinsville, Saratoga-WY, Kremmling, etc etc..............

These towns are wonderful in that they are small, there is space and beauty, tons of natural resources (hunting, fishing, uncrowded wilderness), clean air, no real gangs, and many freedoms to be enjoyed.

The downside in my opinion, is that it doesn't really matter whether you are cool to people, talk the right lingo, contribute in a very positive way to the community, and act humbly, you will ALWAYS be treated like an outsider in a place where everyone went to high school together and they are bonded tightly with family. Positive thinking, a great attitude, and following Jazzlover's every piece of advice as true as it may be will not change that. In the town I live in, they say it takes a good 15 to 20 years to really break through and become a true part of the community. Think this a joke? How about an old timers banquet that is only for those having lived in our area for 30 years? Neat in some ways yes; disturbing in another way.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,078,179 times
It wouldn't bother me not ot be part of an old timer's banquet, but I wouldn't like being treated as an outsider indefinitely. It seems to me that the length of time that treatment would continue would be determined by how patient and friendly one is and whether or not he tries to change things in the town.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 12,762 times
I grew up in Taos. While I find Eagles Nest, Red River and Angel Fire to be beautiful you could not pay me enough money to live there simply because I would not want to have to deal with those roads in the winter. They get A LOT of snow up there, as has been demonstrated by the averages posted.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,168 times
We are thinking of a trip to Eagle Nest next march during spring break in Texas. Will we need ice chains or anything extra for driving around the area?

wabrownp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico