Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,403 times

Advertisements

April should be really nice
The roads into Timberon are all paved. Do not take the back route from El Paso that Google Maps (or Mapquest) advises. It looks shorter, but it's very rough and rocky. Come up from Alamogordo through Cloudcroft instead.

The county road (Sacramento) is paved through Timberon, the rest are dirt, but mostly well maintained. If you are up in the hills or way out, they might be rough. Will you have a car? Or you could rent ATV's from Sacramento Mountain ATV as you come into town.

I have good internet service (DSL) at our house, others - not so much. I guess it depends on where you are. There is a hot spot at the Post Office / Robert's Realty if you have a laptop.

I don't know about the rates in the RV parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,395 times
thanks Ranchonan, you gave me a good warning. By map the other way does look shorter, but I'd rather be safe. we are going to look at a few lots. Do you know if their is much difference between golf court lots and mountain lots when it comes to services? you gave me a great idea, Park the RV and rent atvs to ride around.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIXOTE4U View Post
thanks Ranchonan, you gave me a good warning. By map the other way does look shorter, but I'd rather be safe. we are going to look at a few lots. Do you know if their is much difference between golf court lots and mountain lots when it comes to services? you gave me a great idea, Park the RV and rent atvs to ride around.
You're very welcome Pretty days this past week, and should continue. You picked a nice time to come up.
As far as the golf course vs mountain lots, I don't know if there is any difference in services. The local businesses (phone/internet, water, propane, EMS etc) service the whole town, and a rough road won't stop any of them from coming out if needed. Electric may take longer, they come from Cloudcroft. Roberts Realty might have more information on services. My experience: we live right across from the golf course and all our services have been reliable these past 4 years with the occasional water or electric downtime due to weather or upgrades.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
The roads into Timberon are all paved.
Not sure, but did you mean to type; "are NOT all paved?" To my knowledge, only the road from Cloudcroft to Timberon is paved, and there is still a couple of miles of unpaved that passes through private ranch lands just north of Timberon.

The alternate route from the Border Patrol checkpoint on US-54 to Timberon - locally referred to as "the back way in" - is a VERY dusty, washboard gravel that "occasionally" sees grading. But grading only smooths out the bumps and does nothing to reduce the dust or gravel being tossed up.

There are even less-traveled forest service roads into the area, but these are even more rarely maintained 4WD routes.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Sorry, I was unclear. The road from Cloudcroft to Timberon (aka the Sunspot Highway) is all paved. It is the most common route. The back route, which I mentioned as from El Paso, is all rocky and unpaved. I'm sure there are other roads and trails that lead in and out of Timberon, that are not paved.

Last edited by NMNan; 04-02-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 11:34 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
We're on a golf course lot and have water and electricity.

Most lots have water and electric hookup but there are some that don't. Mostly lots that it takes an atv to get around on.

Great posts Ranchonan.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Not sure, but did you mean to type; "are NOT all paved?" To my knowledge, only the road from Cloudcroft to Timberon is paved, and there is still a couple of miles of unpaved that passes through private ranch lands just north of Timberon.
The road from CC to Timberon is paved the whole way and has been for several years now!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ##bianca## View Post
Large towns like Phoenix you do not normally know thier neighbors to disagree with them.
Phoenix is not a large town. It is a very large city!! I know most of my neighbors and have lived in my neighborhood for 15 years. I have one neighbor I don't get along with (I am pretty sure they are selling drugs. Friday afternoon traffic is amazing) The rest of my neighbors are great!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM

144 posts, read 228,236 times
just bought a place in timberon and really like it but was a little concerned that one of the 2 restaraunts closed as well as the atv business, are things looking good for timberons future?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Hi josephus, welcome to Timberon!

The restaurant at the High Country Lounge (at the golf course) is still open.
B&B cafe closed.

The owner of the ATV business moved off-mountain, but the mechanic is going to continue operating the maintenance side of it for auto and ATV maintenance and tire repair. The phone number is still the same. Website is Sacramento Mountain ATV

Things in Timberon are looking fine. There is a grassroots artisan group that has formed, called the Timberon Artists Society, and a gallery/shop is scheduled to be opening next spring. The Timberon Development Council and the Timberon Water District continue to work toward improvements.

Here is the website for the Timberon Development Council, it has a lot of information Timberon Development Council
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico