Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,251,775 times

Advertisements

Hey Song!!!

I see you sold the place. Any ideas of where you might be moving to. I hope it works out for you and Charlie. I hope all is well. We will be in Ruidoso the last weekend of April and and the first couple days of May.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 AM

93 posts, read 239,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I would like to know if anyone here knows anything about Timberon. I read all the data about it, and it sounds wonderful for someone who wants to get away from it all, with a fine climate and beautiful scenery. I read online that a paved road finally goes to it (!).

One thing that struck me as intriguing is that it has NO unemployed people, and their mean travel time to work is 18 minutes. The road layout around it looks awfully squiggly...I wonder where they all work; it's 25 miles from Alamogordo, but I wonder what kind of a commute that would be, or even if that's where most of them work. Maybe some work in Cloudcroft, but it's not big enough to have much employment.
You better visit before you decide to move. Getting away from it all is cool for awhile but after awhile it can be awful.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:13 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
Hey Song!!!

I see you sold the place. Any ideas of where you might be moving to. I hope it works out for you and Charlie. I hope all is well. We will be in Ruidoso the last weekend of April and and the first couple days of May.

Jim
Hi Jim,

We closed on it Tuesday. We're renting Chilegal's house now until we find out where we'll be going. It's looking like Ruidoso now. That's where we're looking.
If ya'll want to get together when you get to Ruidoso, let us know. Would love to see you.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplr View Post
You better visit before you decide to move. Getting away from it all is cool for awhile but after awhile it can be awful.
Catman, most of the people here are retired. The ones that work mostly have stuff to do around here such as contracting, plumbing, doing stuff online and stuff like that. I don't think anyone commutes anywhere to work; at least I don't know of anyone that does. It's a 45 minute drive to Cloudcroft and about 1 1/2 hours to Alamogordo. The drive is beautiful but I wouldn't want to drive it everyday to work.

Guitarplr, You're absolutely right. I tell people the same thing. If you're used to an active lifestyle, Timberon is not the place to be full time. That's why we're leaving Timberon. As nice and beautiful of a place this is, it's pretty isolated. THere are some things to get involved with and that's all great but make sure you like quiet and isolation all the time before you get here. It might be an age thing too but we're in our 50's. Most here (but not everyone) is at retired age and I'm assuming ready to settle down and not do much.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
THere are some things to get involved with and that's all great but make sure you like quiet and isolation all the time before you get here. It might be an age thing too but we're in our 50's.
Ruidoso can be pretty boring for people used to all the amenities and activities and socializing that big cities afford. I have seen it time and again when someone moves here full time only to leave after a period of time when they realize how restricted their lifestyle is compared to the hustle and bustle they had been used to previously.

That having been said, there are plenty of people who do like the slower pace of life and take advantage of the opportunities that are available. Having family elsewhere that can be visited on occasion provides many with a safety valve when life in Ruidoso gets too dull.

In short, small town living isn't for everyone, and living in a small TOURIST town is even less of an attraction for those who aren't in some tourist related business.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Ruidoso to me seems more like a town where there are things to do, not like Albq. but at least something. Timberon, on the other hand is too isolated for me.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
The only thing I think I would miss about not living in a big city is being able to play gigs now and then. Most of the things I really enjoy doing would work better in Timberon: amateur radio , amateur astronomy, motorcycling, photography, etc. I've always been able to amuse myself by myself pretty well (and amateur radio would make me feel much less lonesome).

But I am of course aware that I take things for granted living in a city which I wouldn't think about until they were unavailable. I'm 65, so nightlife isn't a major consideration. Timberon seems like a good place to stay active physically, though.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM

Timberon would be good for you then.
As far as physically goes, it's a good place to walk.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM

49 posts, read 129,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The only thing I think I would miss about not living in a big city is being able to play gigs now and then. Most of the things I really enjoy doing would work better in Timberon: amateur radio , amateur astronomy, motorcycling, photography, etc. I've always been able to amuse myself by myself pretty well (and amateur radio would make me feel much less lonesome).

But I am of course aware that I take things for granted living in a city which I wouldn't think about until they were unavailable. I'm 65, so nightlife isn't a major consideration. Timberon seems like a good place to stay active physically, though.
Plan on coming over June 30, & July 1st for the Southern Sacramento Mountain Blues & BBQ Festival. Right now it is looking like 6 bands. More to follow in a few weeks.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
That sounds like a fun place to be, although from my standpoint as a professional working musician, it doesn't and wouldn't have much to do with making a living. But I'm not working all that often in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico