U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,344,716 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone here knows anything about Timberon. I read all the data about it, and it sounds wonderful for someone who wants to get away from it all, with a fine climate and beautiful scenery. I read online that a paved road finally goes to it (!).

One thing that struck me as intriguing is that it has NO unemployed people, and their mean travel time to work is 18 minutes. The road layout around it looks awfully squiggly...I wonder where they all work; it's 25 miles from Alamogordo, but I wonder what kind of a commute that would be, or even if that's where most of them work. Maybe some work in Cloudcroft, but it's not big enough to have much employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 12:00 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Catman, I wish I could help you on Timberon. I know the area but have never been to Timberon. I did hear that there is a golf course there. I know it is near Fort Bliss and very remote but that's about it. The whole area - Weed, Pinon, Timberon, Mayhill and Elk are all remote places. Pretty scenery up in the Sacramento Mountains!

Old 09-10-2006, 01:26 AM

Default Sacramento Mountains villages

Those towns, Timberon, Weed, Mayhill, etc. are in a great area theoretically: in the southernmost high places in the state, so the winters aren't too cold, but the summers are very temperate. I looked at the temperature graphs on Timberon, and it seems almost perfect to me: coldest average low 21, highest average high about 82. And the property costs seem very reasonable. I plan to take a motorcycle ride through the area next year and have a look.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:09 AM

Post it here Catman when you get to see it and get back. I am curious as to how it looks too. I plan to go through NM in October and may swing out that way. It looks like the roads might me a winding journey but really it is hard to tell from aerial photos. Maybe someone who knows Timberon will post here too, so we can have a sneak peek!
I am also curious how a golf course is out in such a remote place and who plays that course?

Old 09-10-2006, 10:52 PM

Talking Going to the Sacramento Mountains

Well, CJ, it looks like you'll get there before I do if you go next month. I'm not going to be able to get out there until next year. I wonder about that golf course too...I guess everyone in the area likes to play golf, or at any rate the most influential people. Timberon is a really tiny place to have a golf course. I would think miniature golf would fit a lot better.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:59 AM

Catman, if I am able to get out to Timberon, I'll let you know what it is like. My relatives in El Paso have had so much flooding from the rains that every time I try to get out there, they get another wave of water coming and I have to postpone my visit! I mean rains are great for the southwest but I think we all have had enough for a while!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:30 PM

143 posts, read 313,918 times
Default Timberon, NM

Timberon is about 30 or so miles south of Cloudcroft which is about 20 minutes from Alamagordo. Both roads are paved but are mountain ie: curvy mostly less than 50mph roads. I believe that a great % of Timberon's population are retired. There is ]very little ]in the way of businesses there - now. BUt the road from Cloudcroft has been paved for less than a year - so
people are really just beginning to check it out - (like we did last month).

It is very undeveloped now - but am sure growth is coming - probably too fast for us. It is very laid back. Beautiful mountain country - great views - great tall trees & at least for now pretty inexpensive compared to the rest of the SW. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks - we will be new Timberon land owners - counting down the time until we can leave the
"valley of the blast furnace - Phoenix"

Hope this helps!

Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM

Thanks Bear's Mom for your info and yes it does help! I am in Phoenix too so I know about the blast furnace that is on 24/7! Timberon is a new "discovery" so I am sure the secret treasure of Timberon is out and people will be going there. I hope that the town of Timberon will start off real early and develop a controlled growth smart plan so that the town will be a nice place to live and not become another sprawled out messy monster.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:22 PM

Default That's how I imagined it

Thanks, Bear's Mom. I hope Timberon doesn't grow much. I wonder how flood-prone it is? Hopefully, it's not flat enough for water to collect. The amount of rain which has been falling in that part of the country must be a very rare event.
I envy you for having land out there. I've been to Cloudcroft and on a road south of there, and it's beautiful country.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 13,402 times
Talking about Timberon

My family has lived in Timberon for 35 years. I've been back for over a year. It wasn't always an affordable place to live because there are very few jobs. After layoffs at Boeing my husband (who is also a native New Mexican) and I moved back to good old Timberon. Bob (my husband) works for TWSD (Timberon Water & Sanitation District) and I manage the Lounge & Grill at the proshop. Since completion of the paved road & the publicity surrounding our loss of our tax levy, people have swarmed our little known community and land and home sales are booming. I wish they had never paved the road but if you want to survive here you have to go with the flow. Most people here are retired or live on fixed incomes. Maybe that's what prompted the comment about there is no one unemployed. The golf course is great especially after all the rain & flooding this summer. We suffered the weather here too. The gravel roads are very washed out and the back road is almost not there anymore so its a good thing the front road from Cloudcroft got paved. What else would you like to know? The entire community is many little groups that do not trust one another and our politics and differences are taking a horrible toll on all of us. There is more gossip than a TV talk show host could ever hope for. Many of the locals are terrific individuals but as soon as you finish one conversation the next person will tell you not to believe a word the last person might have said. It's a beautiful place to live but...you really have to keep a distance from the politics or it will drive you insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico