Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:03 AM

74 posts, read 268,379 times

Advertisements

New Mexico Small Business Owners
Quote:
I am curious to know how many small business owners from New Mexico are represented on the boards.
I don't know how we rate high on Forbes list when we have right to work & no or low income tax states around us.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-28-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:11 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,016 times
I own a business. I don't have any employees though.

Quote:
I don't know how we rate high on Forbes list when we have right to work & no or low income tax states around us.
Texas has no income tax, but check their property tax rates. Arizona has similar tax rates. Colorado, having a flat tax is overall higher than NM.

The forbes rank for New Mexico is about in the middle. It's Albuquerque and Las Cruces that rank well.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:09 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
This state is doing very well but i think it depends on what kind of business you are running. Here's an example in that where i work we contract alot of Painting out to paint Apartments and yet we cannot find any decient co's as their work is Shobby and they are charging around 200 to 300 to paint an apartment. So i seriously think about starting my own company to get into this as i can paint 2 a day by myself and i know my work is good but again i see alot of needs for skilled tradesman who could make a killing if they are good. Carpet Cleaning is another business i deal with alot as they charge about 75 dollars an apartment and average 6 to 7 a week just here where i'm at times how many Apartment complexes, Businesses or Homes etc....$$$

Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 PM

203 posts, read 714,015 times
Default Reality of Texas Zero Income Tax

I currently work as a small business owner/operator in Las Vegas NM. In the past, I owned and operated small businesses in Austin, TX. In my experience, "no income tax" of Texas is beneficial to managers/officers of large corporate facilities in the state.

As a small scale entrepreneur, my fixed fees and expenses (other than real estate) in Las Vegas run about 80% lower than in Austin. No income tax in TX but they tax any and everything else- I paid about $700/yr taxes on $20k worth of business furniture and equipment in Austin.

My NM state income tax liability would have to hit $7,000/year to par the cost of doing business in TX.

For my small scale enterprises, NM is by far better than TX, CO or AZ

Old 12-09-2007, 07:51 PM

74 posts, read 268,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
I currently work as a small business owner/operator in Las Vegas NM. In the past, I owned and operated small businesses in Austin, TX. In my experience, "no income tax" of Texas is beneficial to managers/officers of large corporate facilities in the state.

As a small scale entrepreneur, my fixed fees and expenses (other than real estate) in Las Vegas run about 80% lower than in Austin. No income tax in TX but they tax any and everything else- I paid about $700/yr taxes on $20k worth of business furniture and equipment in Austin.

My NM state income tax liability would have to hit $7,000/year to par the cost of doing business in TX.

Thanks for the infor JSC. I knew that property taxes were higher in Texas, but I didn't know to what extent. I have between 10 & 15 employees & my biggest problem is finding non cdl scale drivers that I can insure ( no dwi within the last 5 years.). But with the housing slow down, I am seeing more walk in people looking for work all the time. The housing slow down also means that I will need less help.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiddley View Post
Thanks for the infor JSC. I knew that property taxes were higher in Texas, but I didn't know to what extent. I have between 10 & 15 employees & my biggest problem is finding non cdl scale drivers that I can insure ( no dwi within the last 5 years.).
I'd hate to have your insurance bill....

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-08-2009 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Fix Quote

Old 12-11-2007, 10:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Texas tax structure sounds just as regressive as New Hampshire. No income or sales tax in NH but high rates on nearly everything else. Serves higher income folks very well but tends to rob the rest of us. Property tax on business furniture? What about metal working and machine tools, trucks, trailers etc? I am thinking about an alternate energy business utilizing biodiesel engines in a combined heat and power set up for efficient off the grid (gas and electric) houses and ranches.

New Mexico is sounding better and better. now all I have to do is figure out how to run a business without going broke like the last time.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Texas tax structure sounds just as regressive as New Hampshire. No income or sales tax in NH but high rates on nearly everything else. Serves higher income folks very well but tends to rob the rest of us. Property tax on business furniture? What about metal working and machine tools, trucks, trailers etc? I am thinking about an alternate energy business utilizing biodiesel engines in a combined heat and power set up for efficient off the grid (gas and electric) houses and ranches.

New Mexico is sounding better and better. now all I have to do is figure out how to run a business without going broke like the last time.
Texas calls it "business asset tax"... some counties tax personal property... i.e. household furniture, appliances and tools. Sales tax in TX runs 1.5-2% higher than NM. Motor vehicle registration runs from 3x to 10x more. (I have a mid 70's Dodge pickup that costs me $40/year in NM...cost me $400/yr in TX)

Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post

Hello Sir,

I am a student from New Mexico State University, I am taking a course on Entrepreneurs and was given assignment to interview A small business owner. I just need to ask some questions about your Business, not complicated, just simple Questions
1.How you got your business idea?
2. What research and preparations you made prior to opening the business?
3. What were the biggest problems you have encountered?
4. What plans do you have now to expand your business further?
5. What advice would you offer entrepreneurs starting out today?
6. How have sales grown in the last few years?
You can also post any advice or an ending line about your business.

Thank you

Old 09-01-2009, 03:10 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
This may be the laziest way to go about interviewing anybody. Go outside and talk to A REAL SMALL BUSINESS OWNER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico