Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:10 AM

4 posts, read 6,185 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get a few more options in my mind as far as places to live in new mexico. I am currently living in el paso, but the cost of living is a bit too high here.

After combing thru towns on this website for a few days, and reading posts on towns, I decided it might be best just to lay out what I'm looking for and get some advice by all of you folks here.

What I am looking for:
3,000 to 25,000 population.
Peaceful with low crime.
Job prospects not important (I work by PC)
Reasonable house rent (with plenty of purchase properties if i decide to stay)
Nature nearby, ie trails, rivers lakes etc.
My yearly income is around 35,000
Preferably not next to a military installation (before people think i am saying something bad about the military, I just got out myself, and would like to take a break from seeing uniforms everywhere I go)

Pretty much I am just looking for a nice place for the family, raise my kids and get away from the city for awhile/forever.

So far i was looking at Truth or Consequences and Silver City, but if anyone has any advice on new places, or even why those two are good or bad, please let me know. I appreciate any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 AM

131 posts, read 447,110 times
Hi ooga, Silver City is in my opinion is situated in one of the most beautiful areas of the state. It's got a pretty nice downtown area, some cool restaurants, shops, a bit of music for a bit of a diversion and beautiful country outside of town. I'd have to think that you could find a nice rental at a reasonable cost and purchase prices are down from the crazy numbers of a few years back. It is a bit isolated however. You're not far away being in El Paso so a few weekend trips should give you a feel for the place. I've had a few visits to Tor C and outside of The Hotel Grand (or Grand Hotel) I can't say I was impressed. Especially if you've got kids, there is little there that I can see that would provide the well rounded atmosphere where they will flourish. Thank you for your service and best wishes!

Old 12-02-2011, 07:38 AM

563 posts, read 1,498,907 times
Well, except for the military part, Alamogordo would probably be similar to what you are looking for. I don't see too many uniforms around town actually, or maybe I just don't notice them. And if you're able to get out more in the morning than evening, most of them will be at work anyways.
There are homes around town that you can find fairly cheap, and plenty of homes for sale. Cloudcroft is nearby and that area has plenty of hiking and trails and it's cool if you're looking to get out of the heat in the summer or see snow in the winter. Las Cruces and El Paso aren't that far of a drive imo if you're in need of say a Best Buy. It's definitely what I consider peaceful with low crime, and the population is about 35,000 - so more than you're looking for, but it feels pretty rural to me.
Just an option if you want to take a look at it.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Alamogordo is bigger than 25K population. I'm going to take a look at Socorro (about 9K pop.). You might like it. An advantage it has is that it's 76 miles from Albuquerque, a straight shot up I-25, in case you need to get into a city. Not too close, not too far.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:11 AM

Thank you for everyone's input so far, trying to get a list together, then take about a week and wander thru the more promising sounding ones.

So if anyone can think of any others worth a look, please let me know.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,163 times
The Mesilla Valley is pretty, especially when you go north a little to Hatch, wide green fields for local agriculture, pecan orchards and, of course, Chiles! You are near Las Cruces, a college town with lots of conveniences, but not right in it. Old Mesilla is worth visiting while you're there.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
The Mesilla Valley is pretty, especially when you go north a little to Hatch...
For someone looking for relative new homes in relatively inexpensive subdivisions, the Mesilla Valley SOUTH of Las Cruces fills the bill. One can still feel like they're in a rural setting and have the best of both worlds when it comes to larger city amenities - Las Cruces vs El Paso.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 AM

35 posts, read 90,762 times
Check out the Moriarty, Estancia area called the East Mountain Area its a nice place with good people and close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe and the Land is very fairly priced. Tomahawk

Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogabooga66 View Post
So far i was looking at Truth or Consequences and Silver City.
I think Silver City is a great pick... but if the cost of living is too high in El Paso, then you will need to look for an impoverished place in NM. TorC is cheaper, but doesn't really have anything else to recommend it. On the other hand, I think $35k/yr should be a fine salary for living well in most of the state.

Assuming you could stretch to places that are more expensive than El Paso, what sort of climate and social diversions and conveniences do you want?

Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 AM

It's not so much the cost of living in general as it's just the rent in el paso has been knocked out of whack by the increase of soldiers stationed at ft bliss. Rents have nearly doubled due to the increased demand. Without a housing allowance anymore, its too high. Besides, like i said, sick of the city.

Climate wise, I would like a bit more mild summer, no weeks of 110 degrees. Snow would be great, miss that a bit. Convenience wise, not really looking for that much, nearly everything can be ordered online, and as far as having to drive to a city, I used to drive for a living, so it doesnt bother me much. Social diversions, if i need them enough, thats what the car is for.

My family is pretty much the homebody types, and as far as the kids, as long as its the kind of place I can feel safe letting them get out and play, thats all they really look for. Like i said, some nature spots nearby would be good, we like to do some light hiking/camping.

In my life I've had the exciting lifestyle and I've had the quiet lifestyle. I would prefer to get back to the quiet one. If it wasnt for the kids I would probably be looking at even smaller towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico