Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,963,116 times

Advertisements

After a couple years of not makin em, this year we will make um.

Since we are 85 miles to Grants(Chile kicks on rt.66) where we got them before; I have a rear hind quarter from a Arkansas Hog that is gonna make a nice mess of Tamales..and etc.

Anyone one to come on over and help in the (2) festivites come on down.

I might even make the fruit Tamales I made a few years ago.

The seasons are a changing....

Happy trails,

Hunter Wold and SuninHair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,780,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
After a couple years of not makin em, this year we will make um.

Since we are 85 miles to Grants(Chile kicks on rt.66) where we got them before; I have a rear hind quarter from a Arkansas Hog that is gonna make a nice mess of Tamales..and etc.

Anyone one to come on over and help in the (2) festivites come on down.

I might even make the fruit Tamales I made a few years ago.

The seasons are a changing....

Happy trails,

Hunter Wold and SuninHair
Tamal making....all that time and labor, LOL!! Have fun!

I've heard of dessert tamales, but have never had them!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,699,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Tamal making....all that time and labor, LOL!! Have fun!

I've heard of dessert tamales, but have never had them!
Roberto's in Las Cruces has dessert tamales at Christmas time - filled with nuts and raisins. I tried to like them, but I prefer savory tamales, and sweeter desserts. They just don't quite satisfy as tamales or as desserts.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Roberto's in Las Cruces has dessert tamales at Christmas time - filled with nuts and raisins. I tried to like them, but I prefer savory tamales, and sweeter desserts. They just don't quite satisfy as tamales or as desserts.
I am actually not that fond of any tamales, one of the few Mexican/New Mexican foods I can take or leave. We'd buy them every year when I was growing up in WT.

Occasionally, someone makes some really good ones (meaning quite spicy and very well seasoned), and I will get a couple dozen or so, but I generally don't eat them.

But I'd try dessert tamales if given the opportunity.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:40 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I am actually not that fond of any tamales, one of the few Mexican/New Mexican foods I can take or leave. We'd buy them every year when I was growing up in WT.

Occasionally, someone makes some really good ones (meaning quite spicy and very well seasoned), and I will get a couple dozen or so, but I generally don't eat them.

But I'd try dessert tamales if given the opportunity.
To me the secret is: keeping them moist as well as seasoned. too many are dry. It is a talent, I worked for years to make them tasty and moist, some years it worked, other times OMG!!!!

Nita

Old 09-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
To me the secret is: keeping them moist as well as seasoned. too many are dry. It is a talent, I worked for years to make them tasty and moist, some years it worked, other times OMG!!!!

Nita
Hmmmm.....that may be it....dry and bland, LOL!!

If you've worked at it over a few years, I bet yours are good!!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,271,585 times
My brothers and I just buctered a couple of fair pigs. They were nice and lean.

My mother in law makes really good tamales. She has a special handed down recipe. The red chile mixed into the masa is always just right. The tamales come out with the perfect spice and moisture. She probably sales 500+ dozen a year.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,963,116 times
Talking oh, those Tamales....

Yes, lots of work, and can be combined with fun. But, the results are worth it.
I usually cook the ole Pork roast the day before; as I cook it for quite a while with good spices etc. Let it cool overnight and then the fun starts....

I invite a few friends over for a Tamale makin party...They bring some snacks etc, maybe some good brew/wine and we start in makin the Tamales.

I have the pork already cooked up and seasoned, then the corn husks are ready to stuff...and we fill, steam, fill steam etc. until the whole batch is down.
Maybe about 4 doz or so. Then....then...well...we have to "sample" them..
and then divide them up...

Anyway, Tamales make the season NM style...

Happy trails,

HW and Suninhair....

Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,570,488 times
LOL...Good one

Old 09-09-2008, 12:24 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Yes, lots of work, and can be combined with fun. But, the results are worth it.
I usually cook the ole Pork roast the day before; as I cook it for quite a while with good spices etc. Let it cool overnight and then the fun starts....

I invite a few friends over for a Tamale makin party...They bring some snacks etc, maybe some good brew/wine and we start in makin the Tamales.

I have the pork already cooked up and seasoned, then the corn husks are ready to stuff...and we fill, steam, fill steam etc. until the whole batch is down.
Maybe about 4 doz or so. Then....then...well...we have to "sample" them..
and then divide them up...

Anyway, Tamales make the season NM style...

Happy trails,

HW and Suninhair....
the secret or partly is the party....I am planning to give them a try here in NWA this year: that is if I can get the ingredients. We don't have a whole lot of places to get mexican supplies, maybe closer to the Tyson's headquarters. That is where so many hispanics live. Our neighborhood Walmart has a section donated to Mexican foods, it consists of canned peppers and a few kinds of salsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico