Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:27 PM

182 posts, read 810,790 times

Advertisements

Moko,
thanks for the input about t or c. it sounds like a good place to check out. Someone on one of the other posts had some negative things to say about t/c such as no night life, retirement community ( heck, I'm in a retirement state!!) Just wondered if you had anything else to add about the general quality of life there. My kids are grown so schools are not an issue. My "dream" is to have a studio and do my art full time and that means cheap but nice place to live.

For both you and ontheroad: How hard is it to break into the Santa Fe galleries? Are they pretty open to new artists?

Its funny but I have checked other city data state sites and I keep bumping into New Mexico as the place to go......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 10:58 AM

13 posts, read 39,977 times
Hey Stormweary, TorC is basically a retirement community. At least thats the way it has been marketed for the past 50 years. Now, as time passes, it's becoming more and more a place to be for "early" retirees (30-40yrsold), at least thats what we call ourselves when we come here. That person was right, there isn't much in the way of nightlife. It's a small town, so there aren't many places open pass 5pm. There are a few bars that are a little rough around the edges, but I've found Rocky's (downtown bar) is a nice friendly place where they have kareoke once or twice a week, and other bar-like activities. There is a senior rec center where they have square dancing and such, and on occasion it's rented out for a play or movie. There's NO movie theater, so we make do with what we have. On occasion I pull my LCD projector out at the park (on the Rio Grande) and pay the city $3 for use of electric and show a movie on a bed sheet - outside.

As for Santa Fe Galleries, I don't have personal experience yet, bu I've heard it's a little difficult to get in, but there are tons of galleries to choose from. One approach a local artis has tried seems to work - Call the galleries first, get address and manager's anme and mail a catalog of work. Follow up with a phone call and try to schedule an appointment for a person to person meeting. Some just try waliking in, but be forwarned it's going to be hard to get their attention, since I'm sure they get artists all the time.

T or C is definately worht a visit (2-3 weeks is best to get a feel for the town). I don't want to scare you but T or C has a history of people coming here, thinking it's something it's not and getting disappointed and bitter. TorC is really Truth or Consequences literally.

good luck - mo

Old 10-14-2006, 11:39 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Getting into a gallery, anywhere, takes fortitude and marketing Santa Fe isn't unique, but I have certainly seen many artists, good and not so good, get their work shown. It is undoubtedly a question of good people skills as well as talent.

I did price a few studio spaces, and I believe I saw a few, albeit small, for under USD500.00 ~ more around 300. But adding that to the cost of housing, it can make it prohibitive for many--like me.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:16 PM

ontheroad: is that the cost of studio space in TorC or Santa FE? I am assuming you are talking about TorC. Do you know what housing cost in Tor c ?
i agree as far as galleries go. Persistance is what i learned and even that didn't always get your foot in the door. I often thought I'd like to start an artists' co-op type of gallery or at least get some artists' together and rent a space out somewhere for a month for a group show- self promotion-

Maybe Moko can answer that. And Moko i hear ya about it being a small town but you kinda described me as an early "retiree" altho I am a bit beyond the 30-40 yr old range but I have a few good years left before the "official" retirement age. there is a hot spring there? I have a bit of arthritis so that would be nice. i guess people go for week ends to Las Cruces or up to Alb. if they want some "culture".

And this is really what I am debating:whether to move to a bigger area with more to offer but higher costs or something smaller but more affordable.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:04 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
It's about an hours drive on good Interstate with light traffic to LC and another 45 minutes to El Paso. So it's easily driveable, there and back on the same day. A lot of people on this board dog El Paso, but it's a very interesting place. I don't know if I would want to live there, but it's great to visit.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:00 PM

Stormweary, I only know the North of NM--I was costing Santa Fe. I am not familiar with T&C at all!

Perhaps as you live in Florida, the heat down south here won't phase you, but my June trip taught me quickly that I can't tolerate those hot days (over 100F).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
ontheroad: is that the cost of studio space in TorC or Santa FE? I am assuming you are talking about TorC. Do you know what housing cost in Tor c ?

Old 10-14-2006, 07:51 PM

ontheroad: Its not so much the heat as the length of time its hot here and that we don't really have a winter to speak of. I miss the four seasons even if one is short. We don't have that here. its hot and not so hot.... but yes, i can tolerate the heat fairly well. its the humidity that is unbearable sometimes.
I guess 300-500 for a studio would be alot if you have a high rent or mortage too.

Thanks, Domino about the travel time to LC. I would think living in a small town that is NEAR a bigger city would be a way to go. Just hope gas doesn't get too pricey!

Old 10-14-2006, 09:00 PM

Stormweary, New Mexico has seasons. Right now I am chilled to the bone, but reluctant to turn on the heat (electric). I know that after I left Las Cruces (closer to T&C than I am) they were experiencing a severe rainy season. I would check weather reports on line to see how the temperature changes.

Here in Taos, thus far, with 3 seasons under my belt, I'd say, it is warm, never too hot, can get cold, does have snow, wind, intermittent rain and rainy season, and some fall. The trees turned quickly and mostly yellow, not much of that beautiful burnt sienna and burnt umber you see in the North and Northeast.

Depending on your financial circumstances, and your desired life style, you might look north rather than south NM. A visit of two weeks should give you just enough time to explore.

Before I moved, and then as a penultimate, not a final decision, I came out for 10 days, drove around, checked out some stuff, and thought about the move as an adventure and to some extent that is exactly what it has turned out to be--an adventure!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:43 AM

Thanks ontheroad,

that is how I tend to look at things, as an adventure. My graduate advisor told me (when I was thinking of moving from New Orleans) that if nothing else the moving and traveling add to the art in undefined ways. He ended his advice with "....and you can ALWAYS come back here." Well, unfortunately, that isn't the case any more. At that time i had considered moving west but went east instead, in part, because i don't know ANYONE out there . Now, tho, I am revisiting the idea as I find myself assessing just what it is I really want to do for the rest of my life
i am thinking of a 2-3week "vacation" out to the Southwest. i've priced flights to Alb. and Las Cruces and its a bit cheaper to fly to Alb. from here. Would rent a car, get some maps and off i go. I am hoping to find someone to go with me from here just for the trip. Right now, I am thinking anywhere from late MArch to May perhaps. It just depends on if I teach next semester and what that schedule is. I HAVE been to Santa FE and Taos but it was a long time ago and it was just for a vacation. Also visited the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and it was nice too but I think its a bit over grown and expensive for what I am looking for. Have explored north of the Phoenix area but again, the impression I am getting is that it is more expensive than places in NEw Mexico.
My one thing about the weather and "scenery" is that here things stay green all year where out there, I think, the colors tend towards more towards an orange......( I am referring to the dirt...)

Old 10-15-2006, 09:25 AM

One of several challenges I've faced moving to the SW is colour. It takes me some time to adjust to the various shades of earth, chamisa and that for the most part includes the housing. I miss wood and brick more than I could have foreseen.

Take it light, enjoy your trip and good luck, Stormweary, but as I posted in another forum (here) it isn't easy for middle class and working class folks to find a home and it seems so many of us are looking elsewhere.

I took early retirement from a good paying job, living in NYC, and really imagined, hoped is the right word, to find a home in NM, but alas, alack, it really doesn't suit.

Take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico