Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:29 AM

156 posts, read 721,748 times

Advertisements

I am an artist and considering a move from NJ to NM. I know that Santa Fe and Taos are artsy, but wondering if there are any other towns that have more reasonable housing prices,and art communities? Also, my husband is a truck driver and would need employment as such .
Heard a little about Madrid, anyone know anything?thanks in advance, Iriegirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 10:24 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times
Some artsy towns are Aztec, Tatum, Madrid, Cimarron, Silver City, someone mentioned Truth or Consequences among others. Aztec is an inexpensive town and there are truck lines in the area especially in Farmington. Tatum is a very small town in the far south and not far from Lovington which is an oil area. Cimarron is small and it does get cold and snowy in the winter but beautiful area. Silver city is more expensive but a nice community will several galleries. I don't know about T or C being artsy but hopefully those who posted about T or C will tell you about it. Madrid is a small art town along with Golden and Cerillos. They used to be mining towns. You can google Madrid New Mexico and see turquiosetrail and find out more on the web about the area.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
CJ, what do you know about Tatum that is artsy? All I know of is the wrought-iron work that is done there. Is there more artsy stuff than that? Just curious. It's in the far east of NM, isn't it?

Old 09-12-2006, 03:35 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
CJ, what do you know about Tatum that is artsy? All I know of is the wrought-iron work that is done there. Is there more artsy stuff than that? Just curious. It's in the far east of NM, isn't it?
Wrought iron work is all I have seen there also. Tatum is pretty close to the TX line on 380. Not much there but caprock.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:00 AM

Yes Catman, it is mostly the iron work type of stuff but someone told me that he has seen some artists moving in there. Crafts ranging from metal art to hand-painted lamps and china can be found in Tatum. It is so small that I don't know if artists could make it but I've seen artists make it anywhere really, up in old mining towns or down in the remotest desert towns. They have a backbone, I give them that! For the more gallery type of artist, Taos is really good but hard to live there since it costs so much. Santa Fe is great too but again same thing. Aztec is more of a livable town for artists and inexpensive plus they have the Durango and Farmington galleries to show their works. Durango was listed as being one of the top artsy towns in America. Another town I thought about is Ruidoso has some fine art galleries too.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 09-13-2006 at 12:34 AM..

Old 09-14-2006, 04:08 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,977 times
Albuquerque is plenty artsy too. In fact it was rated #1 for "Creative Types" two years ago. Our Downtown is not large by East Coast comparison, but thanks in large part to our growing art community Downtown, Old Town, and Nob Hill are some of the most vibrant areas in the Southwest!

Here is an article from the Albuquerque Journal this morning.......
http://www.abqjournal.com/biz/492348...ss09-14-06.htm

Old 09-14-2006, 04:19 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,977 times
One thing I forgot to mention about ABQ. We are at the crossroads of Interstate 25 and 40. Your husband should have no problem finding work here as I-40 is a major truck route!! And remember this too, we are only 45 min from Santa Fe, 2 1/2 from Taos, 3 from Ruidoso and many, many more. And you will not find better weather anywhere in the country than right here in Albuquerque. We have all four seasons, yet fortunately our winters and summers are not that extreme. I rarely have to wear a heavy coat in the winter, and hardly ever to we surpass the 100 degree mark in the summer.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:51 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I find it both strange and somewhat amazing that a State that is thought to be among the most artistic only has one art supply store in the entire state to speak of--no competition at all and hence on the expensive side.

Abq, Santa Fe and Taos is where this store operates. Not certain if it wouldn't be considered advertising to mention their name, but they are well known and well respected.

But as I am on a budget, I find that my thirst for good supplies makes living in New Mexico more difficult than I would have imagined. I'd like to make art not just see it, but seeing art in New Mexico is easy and plentiful.

I have heard from a neighbour that Silver City could be a place to seriously consider both in terms of opportunities and an art community. But, buying your supplies might require frequent visits to the internet.

Madrid, while well located is tiny and has little housing. Santa Fe and Taos (where I live) are rather expensive and although "finmqa1" speaks highly of Albuquerque, 100 degrees is too hot for me and is one of several reasons I sought the northern part of the State.

Overall, although New Mexico, particularly in and near its mountains is beautiful, I am rather disenchanted with "the land of enchantment."

Old 09-15-2006, 12:34 AM

You are right ontheroad, there aren't enough art stores in NM that are on the bargain side. This is a good place to tell would be business owners, you could do REAL well having low-priced art supply stores around NM and the places to put them would be Santa Fe, Taos, Silver City, Aztec or Famington and Durango, Colorado for starters. Durango was named in the top artsy cities in the USA. I just know they would do good if they can give artists great products at great prices. Like the Walmart of art supplies! Taos and Santa Fe might be hard to get a place going because of costs for stores but still all the artists should be able to keep those businesses going. Georgia O'Keefe would agree, don't you think?

Old 09-15-2006, 09:19 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Thanks for your response.

Yes, it would be lovely if one of the giants moved into the State (Blick bought out Art Stores throughout the country) and Jerry's Artarama has been expanding its operation.

If I had the capital I'd to open an art supply store myself!

And, Georgia O'Keefe and many others wouldn't have objected to a local place to buy paint and!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
You are right ontheroad, there aren't enough art stores in NM that are on the bargain side. This is a good place to tell would be business owners, you could do REAL well having low-priced art supply stores around NM and the places to put them would be Santa Fe, Taos, Silver City, Aztec or Famington and Durango, Colorado for starters. Durango was named in the top artsy cities in the USA. I just know they would do good if they can give artists great products at great prices. Like the Walmart of art supplies! Taos and Santa Fe might be hard to get a place going because of costs for stores but still all the artists should be able to keep those businesses going. Georgia O'Keefe would agree, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico