Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Ok...so has anything nothing changed since ealry 2008?? I am a teacher and my wife is near completion of her degree and we are seriously looking at the Kirtland (Consolidated Schools) as a possible relocation...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 01-20-2009 at 05:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 AM

125 posts, read 453,356 times
Well, it sounds like you're mentally prepared for this type of thing. Basically, the reservations (and much of New Mexico) is at poverty level. There's a lot of crime, alcoholism and drug use. But it sounds like you know this. The reservations have been referred to as similar to third world countries in poverty level, although I personally think it's an exaggeration.

The reservations are very low population, high desert areas. Meaning that you have to get used to driving a LOT to get from one place to another, sometimes on dirt roads without any people around. So probably having a four wheel drive is necessary.

Those places are very exposed and get very cold in the winter and dry and hot in the summer. Some knowledge of the outdoors would be helpful. How to dress, stay hydrated, etc.

New MExico and Arizona are almost identical in climate and culture. So basically it would be the same whether you live in one or the other.

In other threads on this forum, I have responded to people asking about "safe" places to live in NM. And basically I've said there aren't any. But for someone like you who WANTS to help low income people, New MExico is a great place for you. I would encourage you to try it, as long as you are mentally prepared for it.

If you'd like any other info, email me mmposting@gmail.com.

I am an Hispanic guy who grew up in Albuquerque (in a spanish neighborhood) and have spent most of my life in NM, although I lived for several years on the East Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltraneandcoffee View Post
Hi everyone A native new yorker here....I am a college senior graduating this december with a BA in history. I have wanted to move to either AZ or NM for a very long time, hopefully to teach 4th or 5th grade in a low-income area.

I read about a program online yesterday called the New Mexico Transition to Teach (NMT2T)- it's an alternative path to certification and it seemed amazing. However I dont know anyone in NM, I still live in NY and Im not sure if my dream of teaching near the Dine' or Zuni reservations is an idealistic mistake. Can anyone give me some advice regarding either the program, teaching elementary grades in low-income areas, or just packing up and heading out west in general? I visited Phoenix and...well.... I hope NM works out!
Danielle

Old 01-21-2009, 10:18 AM

125 posts, read 453,356 times
Pay particuar attention to what people like this young lady say, who are native to NM/AZ.

I'm not an Indian, I'm a Hispanic who grew up in the barrio in Albuquerque (next to one of the reservations).

Yes, like this lady says, you have to be tough. New MExico is not an easy place. It's isolated (especially the rez), it's poor, people are mean, there's a lot of violence.

As a white person (I assume) coming from New York, most peopple won't be "welcoming" to you.

But if you're mentally tough and you really want to try to help people, it's a good challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronNnewmexico View Post
Hello there young person
Im a 30 year old DIne' female ASU grad that has never lived on the reservation and advise you beware! Never in my 27 years of life have I ever encountered such a unfriendly group of people. Well I suppose racial discrimination is every where but in bordertowns surrounding the reservations it is alive and well. Since 2005, I have lived in a bordertown and experience stereotyping all the time and its not a happy environment. Now I live in Gallup, NM and this is my first time in NM, Arizona born and raised, and I dont like it. Now the southwest is wonderful and the desert is beautiful dont get me wrong I love ARIZONA! I love the metro PHX area, Flagstaff, Payson, Tucson and everything inbetween. I especially love the outdoors and Im assuming you do to (reason for your move to this area). But remember the Dine and Zuni reservations are nothing like these areas. You mentioned low-income areas, if you're prepared to cope with the disparities of minority groups then I think you will be fine. You have to remember to be a tough person if you come to this area. Remember that anytown you go to for shopping and such, so will the entire reservation populations. Meaning, the bordertowns have alot of homelessness, substance abuse, violence, congestion especially on the first of the month (when govt checks are distributed). If I had my druthers I wouldnt have chose to live here. I have met many east coasters and they last about 2 - 5 yrs at the most. They find their first year to be the hardest but usually network and befriend other non- new mexicans, form a bond and all agree they made a mistake about coming to NM. Like I said if you're a tough person and can get past these indiscretions, more power to you but dont say no one warned you!!! Beware of the reservation. Im sure you would be a wonderful asset to the Dine' and Zuni children, heaven knows they need it! So if you do choose to work in this area, GOD bless you and dont let them break your heart and dont lose your passion! Kudos to you for even thinking about coming to the reservation to mold the minds of the native american youth. If no one hasnt said it before, thank you for choossing to be a teacher, I know you all are very much underappreciated! good luck, ron n new mexico :-)

Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 PM

70 posts, read 214,100 times
I've been living and teaching in Zuni NM since July. I love it. I'm a transplanted Philly Pa. girl. It certainly is different, but very rewarding. The children are amaizing and certainly better behaved than many Phila. students. You do have to drive more here, but not much traffic. Finding your favorite foods is a problem, but I've lost weight. It is the most beautiful place. We need good teachers here, but be sure to get your NM licence and paperwork done. We lost a good teacher who didn't. The Zuni culture is amazing. I'm learning all the time. You have to earn their trust. Bacich

Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 AM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
Great to hear from you, bacich! Good on you for making a difference.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Thanks ziaAirmac, i'm writting a new ghost story for our reading night next month. It's about a train ride I recently took to California over the holidays. I go back in time and dine with three Tuskegee Airmen. B O Davis, Luther Smith, and Burt Levy tell me their stories. I'm very excited about it. Bacich

Old 01-23-2009, 08:52 AM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
It brought a tear to my eye when they panned to a few of the Airmen during the inauguration. Can only imagine what they were thinking, but I was so glad they were there to witness the culmination of a movement they were so integral to.

Are you finding your new surroundings good inspiration for your writing?

Old 01-24-2009, 05:11 AM

So inspiring! I do find important issues to address like prejudice between tribes and others to work into my stories. Who wouldn't be inspired in such a beautiful place. My husband is building a loom for me as well. My passion is tapestry weaving. My class at the UNM has just started. I've taken many classes over the years, but this is the first one in a collage in 40 years. I guess you're never too old. Bacich

Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacich View Post
I've been living and teaching in Zuni NM since July. I love it. I'm a transplanted Philly Pa. girl. It certainly is different, but very rewarding. The children are amaizing and certainly better behaved than many Phila. students. You do have to drive more here, but not much traffic. Finding your favorite foods is a problem, but I've lost weight. It is the most beautiful place. We need good teachers here, but be sure to get your NM licence and paperwork done. We lost a good teacher who didn't. The Zuni culture is amazing. I'm learning all the time. You have to earn their trust. Bacich
This is what I have found to be true where ever I moved. And I would think NM would be no different. We are not expecting to set up in Kirtland and have a flood of people rush over to have tea. But we also thought it would be a transition getting used to the new place and the new place getting used to us.

Just a few details to work out over the next two weeks, get my license application in the mail this week, and agree on a start date--but definitely plan on being in NM by late July or August.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,094 times
I have just taken a job at Newcomb High School in the reservation live in a teacher age and am loving every minute of it. Most of the students now have electricity and running water however rain can keep some students from getting to school. The students on the Navajo reservation are great kids. They speak English and understand more Dine than they can speak, for the most part. I love the apartment. May be strange but don't need much. Go to Gallup for shopping on weekends. I have internet, tv, and cell phone works great though there are dead zones. If you are already used to country living the adjustment is nil.
Loving it here among the Navajo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico