U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-05-2012, 10:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,401 times
Default Moving to Alamogordo... questions

Me and my bf are moving to Alamogordo, nm this summer (he's in the military) and we're debating whether we should rent a house, apartment, or buy a house. Not sure how long he's going to be stationed there so we're not sure if buying a house would be worth it (but don't feel like wasting a lot of money on rent for something if we're going to be there for a long time). Anyone know how the housing market is? Is it hard to sell a house or rent a house out? Most of the houses that we see for rent are really expensive but we would really prefer to live in a house as opposed to an apartment because we have a dog. Also, we don't know the area so we don't want to end up renting a house in a bad area. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM

2,783 posts, read 3,777,228 times
Assuming you're getting stationed at Holloman, and not the other bases in the area (WSMR, Ft. Bliss), looks like housing prices are high-normal for New Mexico. Would not recommend buying there from a purely financial perspective.

If the rents there are too steep, perhaps you might consider living out of an RV or trailer; it's not the land there that makes places expensive to live in.

Unread 02-07-2012, 12:32 PM

I can't see us living out of an RV or trailer for how ever many years we'll be there for. Are La Luz, High Rolls, or Cloudcroft nice area's to live?

Unread 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,134,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat0370 View Post
I can't see us living out of an RV or trailer for how ever many years we'll be there for. Are La Luz, High Rolls, or Cloudcroft nice area's to live?
I love Cloudcroft. I usually spend a few days a year in Cloudcroft. I personally wouldn't want to commute from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo during the winter. Cloudcroft is at 10,000 and get pretty serious snow storms.

Unread 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Oh wow, I didn't realize cloudcroft was that high in the mountains. We're moving from Michigan so we're used to the snow but we're definitely looking forward to getting away from it. Thanks for the information. Guess we'll be looking more around alamogordo lol.

Unread 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM

3,214 posts, read 2,300,962 times
Quote:
Oh wow, I didn't realize cloudcroft was that high in the mountains. We're moving from Michigan so we're used to the snow but we're definitely looking forward to getting away from it. Thanks for the information. Guess we'll be looking more around alamogordo lol.
NM has some serious mountains compared to anything east of it. Mt Mitchell is the highest east coast mountain at around 6000 ft above sea level. Mr Wheeler in NM is around 13000 ft with many high elevations from North to South in the state. Thats why you get snow in Southern NM even though its well south of where we generally expect heavy snow.

Colorado has higher mountains but what I love about NM rockies is you drive in from the east and come out on them on the west in less than 100 miles in most cass. Once in the mountains of Colorado you can be 200 or more miles and a long drive to get out of the twisties to get to flat land which I like as a Texan one can get across flat land faster.

Unread 02-07-2012, 10:14 PM

11,806 posts, read 12,521,333 times
Cloudcroft is between 8600 and 9K feet in elevation, depending upon who is talking and what part of town one is in. It isn't 10K feet up, but it's high enough!

I regard its proximity to Alamogordo as a great advantage, since it's about 20 degrees cooler. In other words, if it's hot is summer and you want to cool off, a big dose of relief is only 22 miles away!

Unread 02-08-2012, 07:36 AM

2,153 posts, read 1,877,473 times
Quote:
Oh wow, I didn't realize cloudcroft was that high in the mountains.
The difference in elevation between Alamogordo and Cloudcroft is about 4,000 ft - not 10,000 ft. But driving the relatively steep and mostly 2-lane hiway US-82 might make it seem like it's higher. It's a 30 minute drive on a dry road from the junction of US-54 to Cloudcroft village. Available/affordable rentals in Cloudcroft are very limited.

Cloudcroft - ~8,300 ft.
Alamogordo - ~4,300 ft.

La Luz can now be considered a suburb of Alamo with newer housing subdivisions in that area, as well as new housing south and southwest of Alamo on both sides of US-54.

Unread 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM

562 posts, read 539,757 times
A lot of homes for rent in Alamogordo are so high because they are able to get the German population in there. They are provided housing, so people take advantage of that.
I have seen some pretty nice homes that have gone for as little as 600 or 700 a month.
Rent for an apartment, depending on how nice an apartment you want, can be between 500 and 900 a month, probably. I'm not positive about dog restrictions in most of the apartments, as far as size or breed. Look into it. Las Ventanas has very nice apartments, and if it's just you and your boyfriend (a one bedroom place) then I think rent there somewhere around 700 or maybe 800. Hunters Ridge is what I'd consider the next step down. One Bedroom there is 650.
Alamo apartments is the cheapest and only other one that has a website. Their apartments are all under 600 and the smallest option is even under 500. It's a nice enough place, but I assume it's a renovated motel just looking at the building. I've never seen inside of one of those.
I'd get in touch with a few realtors and see what they have for rent, because you can rent a house for a good price!
Consider taking an apartment and doing a 6-month lease. Once you've been here for a bit and know the area better, you might have a better idea of where you'd like to be, and can always move after the 6-months! (That's what we did)

Unread 02-08-2012, 07:50 PM

15,800 posts, read 14,789,454 times
The "Las Ventanas" apartments allows pets, there is a pet fee.

The Alamogordo Daily News (click here) has a classified section you can read on line.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico