Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,049,420 times

Advertisements

Some interesting tidbits about Spanish spoken in NM.

From Wiki

Quote:
New Mexican Spanish (Spanish: español neomexicano, or ladino as it is known in Mexico) is a variant or dialect of Spanish spoken in the United States, primarily in the northern part of the state of New Mexico and the southern part of the state of Colorado. Despite a continual influence from the Spanish spoken in Mexico to the south, New Mexico's relative geographical isolation and unique political history has made New Mexican Spanish differ notably from Spanish spoken in other parts of Latin America, including northern Mexico and Texas.

Speakers of New Mexican Spanish are mainly descendants of Spanish colonists who arrived in New Mexico in the sixteenth through the eighteenth centuries. During this time, contact with the rest of Spanish America was limited, and New Mexican Spanish was allowed to develop on its own course. In the meantime, Spanish colonists coexisted with Puebloan peoples and Navajos. After the Mexican-American War, New Mexico and all its inhabitants came under the governance of the English-speaking United States, and for the next hundred years, English-speakers increased in number.

For these reasons, the main differences between New Mexican Spanish and other forms of Latin American Spanish are these: the preservation of forms and vocabulary from colonial-era Spanish (e.g., in some places haiga instead of haya or Yo seigo instead of Yo soy); the borrowing of words from Rio Grande Indian languages for indigenous vocabulary (in addition to the Nahuatl additions that the colonists had brought); a tendency to "re-coin" Spanish words that had fallen into disuse (for example, ojo, whose literal meaning is "eye," was repurposed to mean "hot spring" as well); and a large proportion of English loan words, particularly for technological words (e.g. bós, troqua, and telefón). Pronunciation also carries influences from colonial, Native American, and English sources.

New Mexican Spanish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Online book if you are so inclined.

The Spanish language of New Mexico and southern Colorado: a linguistic atlas - Garland D. Bills, Neddy A. Vigil - Google Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM

4,976 posts, read 7,349,309 times
There's hardly any Spanish in the video at all. It's the English that could be seen as slang, but then if she used perfect English it wouldn't be funny.

Some more stuff I have heard: "a-LA!" (or "ar-LA!") when surprised.
Ending English sentences with "que no?".
Saying "Bueno bye" on the phone (do people still do this?).
"Kipaho?" for "qué pasó?"
Calling people "mijo", "mija," or "son" or "tio/tia", "uncle" and not using their names. My nephew says "hey tio" to me even though I am not Hispanic.
Things translated from Spanish like "who threw a fart?" (from "tirar un pedo")
...and saying "watch!" for "look!" (both "mirar" in Spanish): "Have you seen my new tattoo? It's over here, watch!"
Using Spanish "la/el" with first names: "Did you hear what la Vicki said yesterday?"

Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 PM

295 posts, read 590,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplr View Post
I'm sorry but I do not let my children use this kind of language-slang. I have family members that speak like this, I've taught my children that it's improper. Sorry but I feel that it just dumb-downs and stereotypes the Hispanic people. Also speaking like this isn't something someone does naturally, it's learned. Please speak proper English or please speak proper Spanish.
Some Vato needs to chill. Seriously, It's all for fun. I mean good for you if you don't have this accent or if you do....

Great video, it cracks me up every time!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 PM

10,734 posts, read 23,723,954 times
I love caricature stereotypes. They are indeed funny.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:29 AM

78 posts, read 195,740 times
Very funny video! Not sure if it could be appreciated without living here awhile.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,296,682 times
I lol'd:

"you're so gaddo, aye"

Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 AM

662 posts, read 1,447,699 times
Having just moved here, I really loved the part where she is driving and says, "I love it when it rains." There are two drops, and then she says, "Oh, it stopped." I know I have felt that more than once

Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM

405 posts, read 820,552 times
That chick in the video is HOT!!!! What's her name?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 PM

212 posts, read 688,327 times
Haha! I have to admit I'm guilty of the cop/cell phone thing. But overall, I'd say this is more like "Sh*t Ghetto Cholas & Vatos Say".

Old 02-12-2012, 07:13 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,049,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallit View Post
Haha! I have to admit I'm guilty of the cop/cell phone thing. But overall, I'd say this is more like "Sh*t Ghetto Cholas & Vatos Say".

You're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico