U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,208,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Have you ever even VISITED Mexico outside the likes of American tourist destinations et al?

Walk to Juarez City Hall and come back and tell me I'm wrong about all the awesomeness Mexico LACKS.

For every ONE nice place where you aren't worried about sitting down for a few hours I can name 20 in Mexico you'll want to avoid.

By all means tell the people in border towns like Brownsville, Nogales, Laredo and the likes they have nothing to worry about because what I wrote is wrong. Explain to them how so MANY U.S. citizens are clamoring to swim across the river to make BETTER lives for themselves.

There's nothing ignorant about anything I've said.
Is Juarez your total experience of Mexico? No wonder your opinion of the country is so dismal. It's sad that more people don't get beyond the border towns or the tourist trap areas.

I studied in Mexico for a semester, well off the beaten tourist path, and traveled a lot around the rural areas in the central and southern part of the country, in Oaxaca, Chiapas, and the Yucatan. Most of my experiences were extremely positive. At another time I also traveled into some remote parts of Chihuahua. I also do know Americans who have settled in Mexico, others who've lived there for a period of time, and others who would move there if they could find a way to make it work. Probably one reason I moved to New Mexico from the east coast to begin with is that I had such positive experiences in Mexico, that New Mexico seemed like the next best thing.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM

391 posts, read 392,316 times
Quote:
Have you ever even VISITED Mexico outside the likes of American tourist destinations et al?

Walk to Juarez City Hall and come back and tell me I'm wrong about all the awesomeness Mexico LACKS.

For every ONE nice place where you aren't worried about sitting down for a few hours I can name 20 in Mexico you'll want to avoid.

By all means tell the people in border towns like Brownsville, Nogales, Laredo and the likes they have nothing to worry about because what I wrote is wrong. Explain to them how so MANY U.S. citizens are clamoring to swim across the river to make BETTER lives for themselves.

There's nothing ignorant about anything I've said.
I haven't been to Juarez in 2 years and have no desire to go, thanks. That being said, before the inter-cartel drug war over US greenbacks and servicing US drug users bad habits decimated that city I was there every few weeks, mostly in bad neighborhoods like B. Azteca doing business with people who live in that junk dealers neighborhood. I've seen the bad parts of Juarez, thanks, and navigated them safely for over 2 decades.
I've also been doing business all over Mexico for the past 28 years, buying and importing hand-made goods that mostly come from the southern half of the country. My yearly time in Mexico runs from 3 to 4 weeks up to 2 months a year, and I haven't seen the ocean (much less been at a beachside tourist destination) in over 15 years. I'm in generally poor neighborhoods of large cities and towns as well as small, remote Indian villages where Spanish is a second language.
So...the first sentence of your post proves your last sentence to be 180 degrees wrong, starting with one ignorant assumption, and I don't believe it will be your last.
You mention only border towns...is that all YOU know of Mexico? And...is it Mexico, or is it Mexicans that gets the dark attitude going?
There's plenty wrong with parts of Mexico...I think I know that as well as anyone...just as there's plenty wrong with parts of Chicago, Miami, San Antonio, Seattle, Cleveland, Albuquerque, virtually anywhere you can name or anywhere I've been. Same goes for Paris, London, Madrid, or New York. If you chose to look for the nasty underbelly you'd consider all of those places highly undesireable. But does that require painting those places with such a broad brush that no alternative view or a more complete picture is possible? I think not.
But your post does bring up Mex/New Mex similarities...there's no shortage of people spewing blind negative bile about New Mexico either.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I see a lot of guys with handlebar mustaches in my neighborhood but they usually have messenger bag straps across their chests, not bandoliers, and wear cycling caps, not sombreros.
And you can hear them sneer: Latte? We don' need no steenkin' Latte..

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 PM

1,074 posts, read 956,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Is Juarez your total experience of Mexico? No wonder your opinion of the country is so dismal. It's sad that more people don't get beyond the border towns or the tourist trap areas.

I studied in Mexico for a semester, well off the beaten tourist path, and traveled a lot around the rural areas in the central and southern part of the country, in Oaxaca, Chiapas, and the Yucatan. Most of my experiences were extremely positive. At another time I also traveled into some remote parts of Chihuahua. I also do know Americans who have settled in Mexico, others who've lived there for a period of time, and others who would move there if they could find a way to make it work. Probably one reason I moved to New Mexico from the east coast to begin with is that I had such positive experiences in Mexico, that New Mexico seemed like the next best thing.
No I've seen plenty of Mexico outside of Juarez.

More often than not I find less than hospitable conditions and people.

And for every TWO people you MIGHT know that want to live in Mexico there's, what, 20,000 trying to get OUT? ... I wonder why that is.....

Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
I haven't been to Juarez in 2 years and have no desire to go, thanks. That being said, before the inter-cartel drug war over US greenbacks and servicing US drug users bad habits decimated that city I was there every few weeks, mostly in bad neighborhoods like B. Azteca doing business with people who live in that junk dealers neighborhood. I've seen the bad parts of Juarez, thanks, and navigated them safely for over 2 decades.
I've also been doing business all over Mexico for the past 28 years, buying and importing hand-made goods that mostly come from the southern half of the country. My yearly time in Mexico runs from 3 to 4 weeks up to 2 months a year, and I haven't seen the ocean (much less been at a beachside tourist destination) in over 15 years. I'm in generally poor neighborhoods of large cities and towns as well as small, remote Indian villages where Spanish is a second language.
So...the first sentence of your post proves your last sentence to be 180 degrees wrong, starting with one ignorant assumption, and I don't believe it will be your last.
You mention only border towns...is that all YOU know of Mexico? And...is it Mexico, or is it Mexicans that gets the dark attitude going?
There's plenty wrong with parts of Mexico...I think I know that as well as anyone...just as there's plenty wrong with parts of Chicago, Miami, San Antonio, Seattle, Cleveland, Albuquerque, virtually anywhere you can name or anywhere I've been. Same goes for Paris, London, Madrid, or New York. If you chose to look for the nasty underbelly you'd consider all of those places highly undesireable. But does that require painting those places with such a broad brush that no alternative view or a more complete picture is possible? I think not.
But your post does bring up Mex/New Mex similarities...there's no shortage of people spewing blind negative bile about New Mexico either.
I never said anyone was WRONG ... closest I've come to that is to ask if they've ever been anywhere other than vacation resorts.

And again .. not a lot of people wanting to move to Mexico. There's no issue with Americans flooding into Mexico. I wonder why that is? Could it be there there is more nasty underbelly than pretty furry stripes?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I never said anyone was WRONG ... closest I've come to that is to ask if they've ever been anywhere other than vacation resorts.

And again .. not a lot of people wanting to move to Mexico. There's no issue with Americans flooding into Mexico. I wonder why that is? Could it be there there is more nasty underbelly than pretty furry stripes?
Well, there you go! Another similarity between Mexico and New Mexico.....the vast majority of American citizens have never set foot in New Mexico and likely never will. Many don't even realize New Mexico is actually IN the USA, so they must regard the Land of Enchantment as a vile hell-hole, right?

Many, many thousands of Americans live permanently in Mexico, estimates run to half a million or more, and many more are there part-time. Of the 22 million plus international visitors to Mexico last year around 80% came from the USA. They must all love that sewage water and 5 cent fake zippos, eh?

Or maybe they just don't find Mexico and Mexicans as "icky" as you do.

I'm not sure what immigration one way or another has to do with anything except to function as a straw for you to grasp at to justify your specious argument. If more Americans visit France than French travel to the USA does that mean France and the French are superior to us?
Your "logic" would suggest that's the case, no?
Maybe France will build a nice tall fence to keep zoz feelthy Americains out.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
Well, there you go! Another similarity between Mexico and New Mexico.....the vast majority of American citizens have never set foot in New Mexico and likely never will. Many don't even realize New Mexico is actually IN the USA, so they must regard the Land of Enchantment as a vile hell-hole, right?

Many, many thousands of Americans live permanently in Mexico, estimates run to half a million or more, and many more are there part-time. Of the 22 million plus international visitors to Mexico last year around 80% came from the USA. They must all love that sewage water and 5 cent fake zippos, eh?

Or maybe they just don't find Mexico and Mexicans as "icky" as you do.

I'm not sure what immigration one way or another has to do with anything except to function as a straw for you to grasp at to justify your specious argument. If more Americans visit France than French travel to the USA does that mean France and the French are superior to us?
Your "logic" would suggest that's the case, no?
Maybe France will build a nice tall fence to keep zoz feelthy Americains out.
Care to site your sources as to the numbers you are quoting?

There's no issue with tides of Americans fleeing to Mexico for better work, better wages, better education and better health care and education.

Quite the opposite actually.

Immigration is the root of our discussion ... Mexico ... everyone tries to leave permanently and a few go there for a weekend in a vacation resort villa.

Please don't try to twist things around .. it's quite obvious the situation in Mexico vs the U.S. ... it isn't grasping at straws.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM

249 posts, read 385,343 times
Well I believe the root the the discussion was things that Mexico and New Mexico have in common. Somehow it morphed into stereotypical badmouthing of Mexico, and once again New Mexico gets ignored.
I have been to New Mexico. It's beautiful, and ugly, it's clean and dirty, it's legall and illegal, it's friendly and rud, and they have great tacos in this little place near the historic square.
So, that's what they have in common. Good food.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 PM
N8!

2,456 posts, read 2,433,839 times
Like my buddy, Chip, always says, "New Mexico, it's like Mars but with grocery stores."

Old 03-07-2012, 12:04 AM

9,251 posts, read 6,125,547 times
Warm, friendly people?

Delicious food?

Too much crime?

Not enough water?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico