U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 15,021 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a place to relocate,,,I like mountain communities. Can anyone tell me if New Mexico is friendly to Muslims? to Pakistanis? Currently we are looking over Ruidoso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 05:11 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
If you're in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, or any town with a university, you'll be fine. I grew up in a very small conservative town, but there was a university in town, and we had a significant Muslim population in town. There were never any problems that I knew of.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:10 PM
CDN

3 posts, read 28,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
We are looking for a place to relocate,,,I like mountain communities. Can anyone tell me if New Mexico is friendly to Muslims? to Pakistanis? Currently we are looking over Ruidoso.

Salam - We currently live in Carlsbad - small city in SE NM. Not too many muslims here - just us and 2 other families (both pakistani). Most people are friendly and open - at least superficially. Have not had any problems so far and neither has the other 2 families who have been here for a few years. Roswell has about 9 families. Like Mark S. stated, you will find more Muslims in bigger cities like Abq, maybe Santa Fe and Las Cruces(also close to El Paso, Tx) and their surrounding cities. Halal meat is available in Abq and El Paso. Taos and Abiqui also has some Muslims, they are in the mountains.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:18 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,848,533 times
Default Mosque

There is a mosque in Las Cruces, and there are numerous Islamic students studying agriculture at NMSU. I would guess there are families as well as students.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,462,979 times
I would say that in NM people are neither friendly or unfriendly to Muslims. It is predominately a Catholic State with many beautiful old churches and it appears they are well attended. Although there are many other houses of worship, they seem to pale in comparison.

However, I've met several business people from Pakistan, India and elsewhere, and their religious beliefs were never a topic of interest. They seemed comfortable and at home (in Socorro, the middle part New Mexico), and at ease. We talked about missing good "curry," and laughed at ourselves.

Perhaps the fact that religion was not an issue, you might consider that Muslims are not viewed any differently than any other religious group. I would hope so!

Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Wanderwoman, I don't think you'll have any trouble in the larger cities - ABQ, Santa Fe, Farmington and Las Cruces. I am not sure about the smaller towns since the overwhelming majority will be Roman Catholic. I just couldn't give you an answer on that. I would think that mostly you would not have any trouble anywhere in NM but I just can't say that I know for sure. I'd stick to Las Cruces, where there are Muslims already there if it was me, but really ABQ and the rest I listed, are fine too.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:25 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 4,646,464 times
Check out Socorro. New Mexico tech is there and it seems to draw in folks from the middle east for the petroleum studies programs they have.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:26 AM

707 posts, read 2,648,697 times
I would say that most of NM is very welcoming to most lifestyles, and religions. NM is a very unique place, there seems to be no real middle ground people either love it here, or they hate it. Judging by some of ontheroad's post he is the latter. I absolutely love it here, my wife is Filipino and altough there is not a large Filipino population here she has always felt accepted. I always promote ABQ on here because we are experiencing rapid growth right now and the city is definitely become more urban (very exciting times). However, you mentioned Ruidoso. Ruidoso has to be one of the most beautiful places in NM. Like Santa Fe there economy is based on Tourism largely Texans, and Mexcian travelers. I have always found it to be a friendly and welcoming environment, but in the summers I certainly feel like I crossed the state line into Texas (which is not a bad thing). My advice if you are seriously considering a move to NM, make a few visits so that you can spend enough time to make sure that you will be on the "Someone who loves it side," I certainly don't see why that wouldn't be the case!!!!

Old 09-15-2006, 09:50 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
It is predominately a Catholic State with many beautiful old churches and it appears they are well attended.
Depends on what you mean. In NM, most of the Hispanic population is definitely Catholic, but the overwhelming majority of Anglos are of the evangelical Protestant persuasion.

When I left the Clovis/Portales area about 10 years ago, there was a well-attended mosque in Clovis. I have no idea if it is still there.

ENMU in Portales brought in many Muslim students. Most seemed to be from Saudi Arabia and Iran, and I never heard of them having any problems.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 15,012 times
Post New Mexico Muslims

Hi and Salaam!

My wife and I (both of Pakistani origin) recently moved to New Mexico for a change of pace from Southwestern Connecticut area. We love it here in Albuquerque. I travel around New Mexico a lot for my job and have visited Masjids and Muslims in Taos, Las Cruces, Socorro, Gallup, Abiqui and Albuquerque. Taos and Abiqui are quite rural and the muslims there are quite spiritual people. Albuquerque is quite diverse, you will meet all kinds of Muslims here and have access to halal meat pretty easily. Socorro and Las Cruces are also lovely communities with a strong student population. Gallup is mainly Arab businessmen and their families... they are quite friendly but there are not many resources in Gallup. I hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or