U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2007, 04:37 PM

157 posts, read 426,493 times
Default Taos Winter Weather and Crime

Hi ~

I'm hoping someone can help me understand the Taos area a little better.

First, according to City Data #'s, Taos per capita crime has been in the 800's to 900's (wow) What's the story here ... is this all confined to one area? Do residents feel generally safe? Which areas of town should be avoided and which areas are truly safe and friendly? Lots and lots of gang activity or... ? What else should I know about crime and peoples' attitudes in Taos?

Second, CD's #'s for Dec/Jan snowfall and avg. high temps show about 4.5 inches and 40 degrees. Does this seem about right? Is the snow consistent - lasting on the ground throughout the winter - or does it snow big then dry up in a few days and stay dry for several weeks or ... ? Can anyone compare Taos (in town) winter weather to Albuquerque, Durango Co, and/or Farmington NM? CD #'s for Farmington seem to be the same as Taos, yet Farmington is approx. 1700 ft. lower ... are they really much alike in terms of winter weather?

Thank you very much for your time and information ~ Best Wishes
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 AM

468 posts, read 399,764 times
dgoboy204,
Nobody wanted to post to my question either! So, I'll tell you what I know about Taos, although I once lived in Albuquerque and only visited Taos a few times. It is much colder than Albuquerque in the winters, as is Santa Fe. Taos is very expensive, and isolated feeling. Lots of artist types and galleries. Have no idea what you would do for employment up there, as most people seem to have made their nest egg before moving to it. People are nice enough, but seem a little aloof. Like all smaller artist communities, there will be a clique, and you will be either in it or out of it. It reminded me of the worst quality of small towns. You can be anyway you want to be, as long as you are just like us! That sort of thing. Best to avoid these people as a general rule anyway. I cannot imagine why Taos has a high crime rating. Albuquerque, yes. Bring a gun. But Taos? I would find some other sources of information on this if it were me. Do some web surfing on crime in Taos, and after looking at a few dozen web sites you will get a better picture.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 PM

157 posts, read 426,493 times
Default Thanks, smarino!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
dgoboy204,
Nobody wanted to post to my question either! So, I'll tell you what I know about Taos, although I once lived in Albuquerque and only visited Taos a few times. It is much colder than Albuquerque in the winters, as is Santa Fe. Taos is very expensive, and isolated feeling. Lots of artist types and galleries. Have no idea what you would do for employment up there, as most people seem to have made their nest egg before moving to it. People are nice enough, but seem a little aloof. Like all smaller artist communities, there will be a clique, and you will be either in it or out of it. It reminded me of the worst quality of small towns. You can be anyway you want to be, as long as you are just like us! That sort of thing. Best to avoid these people as a general rule anyway. I cannot imagine why Taos has a high crime rating. Albuquerque, yes. Bring a gun. But Taos? I would find some other sources of information on this if it were me. Do some web surfing on crime in Taos, and after looking at a few dozen web sites you will get a better picture.
Thank you for answering what you could -- we do both seem to have a temporary problem getting info ... . I have done some other looking as you suggested ... weather sounds like it really is about like Farmington (Im suprised), but not as mild as Abq. (like you said). The crime thing ... well, I noticed that most of it is assaults and "property crimes". The assaults I don't like, but at least I don't have much stuff to be stolen .

It is unlikely that Taos is really for me overall, but I won't take it off my list completely ... I do value your opinions and I will probably concentrate my search elsewhere ... Thanks again and Best Wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico