Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Football City in New Mexico?
Artesia 12 52.17%
Las Cruces 6 26.09%
Albuquerque 4 17.39%
Lovington 0 0%
Roswell 0 0%
Farmington 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,675 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to add .. in the history of Artesia vs. Clovis football, going back to 1953 Artesia holds the lead (however slight) at 14-13-2.

Just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 PM

Must not be too many football fans frequenting this page.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:52 PM

295 posts, read 591,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
That isn't too surprising given the population explosion that is Rio Rancho (at one time the fastest growing city in the U.S.).

But to be honest ... one title doesn't mean a WHOLE lot.

If after 10 years they have 7 titles ... now THAT would mean a little more. But compared to 27 titles in 55 years .. well .. 'nuff said.
Rio Rancho has never been the fastest growing city in the US. Albuquerque was about 5 years ago, Rio Rancho was a top 10 city for growth, though.

Anyway, V. Sue Cleveland can compete in more than just football. They won numerous titles already. And i'm sure that school will live up to winning, their fields and facilities are THE BEST in the state.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
Rio Rancho has never been the fastest growing city in the US. Albuquerque was about 5 years ago, Rio Rancho was a top 10 city for growth, though.

Anyway, V. Sue Cleveland can compete in more than just football. They won numerous titles already. And i'm sure that school will live up to winning, their fields and facilities are THE BEST in the state.

You are wrong on every point other than I'm sure VSC can COMPETE. Any school with that kind of instant cash infusion and growth is going to be able to compete. And if you want to get into competing in more than just football I'll be more than happy to put Artesia up against VSC in that department as well. We can start counting total state titles for the school if you like with Artesia at 54.

I'll try to dig up the Rio Rancho population fact. Pretty sure it was early to mid 90s. The fact that Rio Rancho and Sandoval County had the largest percentage population increases in the state over the last 10 years according to census data is pretty much enough on that point, but I'll keep digging. In June 2007, Albuquerque was listed as the sixth fastest-growing city in America by CNN and the U.S. Census Bureau and that is the only population or reference to 'fastest growing' regarding to Albuquerque on their page.

And Artesia's sports facilities (not just football) are compared to college facilities when they are discussed.

All of that is neither here nor there anyway since it is off topic.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
For the record, Clovis comes in with 22 state championship appearances, winning 13.

You gotta tip your hat to Artesia High School though. They've been in 31 state championship games. Their record is 27-4. Impressive.

Regarding leaving Clovis off of the poll, I think it was just an oversight as Bulldogrsp61 basically is making a point here. Southeast New Mexico has some great high school football teams. That also includes the smaller towns as well. Eunice has 12, Jal has 11, and Lovington has 17. Ft. Sumner has 10 championships as well, though they're a ways north.
I didn't mean to slight the small schools in the southeast corner of the state. The best NM football teams in the 6 man and the 8 man division 1A go to the schools of Lake Arthur and Hagerman.

I ran across a couple interesting stats off the NMAA (New Mexico Activities Association) site.

The longest football rivalry? Roswell versus Artesia-102 games (1912-2011)

Most high school games won:
1. Artesia-538
2. Clovis-491
5. Lovington-399
8. Carlsbad-372
10.Roswell-369

Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I didn't mean to slight the small schools in the southeast corner of the state. The best NM football teams in the 6 man and the 8 man division 1A go to the schools of Lake Arthur and Hagerman.

I ran across a couple interesting stats off the NMAA (New Mexico Activities Association) site.

The longest football rivalry? Roswell versus Artesia-102 games (1912-2011)

Most high school games won:
1. Artesia-538
2. Clovis-491
5. Lovington-399
8. Carlsbad-372
10.Roswell-369
I was actually working the 'Most High School Games Won' stat and got sidetracked ... thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico