Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be taking a Greyhound out there to give a dairy tanker trucking job a try.
I'll be bringing along a foldable bicycle as a means of in-town conveyance.
I've studied the town closely by Google Earth and such.
At most, everything seems to be only 2-3 miles away from each other and the place I'm working at appears to be on the other side of the train tracks.

So as far as riding a bicycle from Pt A to Pt B, are there any longtime residents that have done it themselves?
I'm already conditioned for 5-20 mile jaunts, so the only thing that concerns me are road conditions and attitude of drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
...the only thing that concerns me are road conditions and attitude of drivers.
I am a long-time bicycle commuter/cross country traveler. I never used to worry about drivers like I do today - in this age of texting and cell phoning while driving. Regardless of how careful I am now, I continually see "wandering" vehicles as drivers fail to keep a straight line. That really worries me and keeps me from riding busy streets and highways today.

And vehicles running stop signs have always been problematic, but not nearly as bad as it is today, when people distracted by cell phones pay even less attention to motorcycles and bicycles in the right of way.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Relocating to Clovis. Is it safe to bicycle/walk in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
So as far as riding a bicycle from Pt A to Pt B, are there any longtime residents that have done it themselves?
Hopefully some Clovis residents who have ridden in the area will reply. But as in most places, it really depends on the actual route. If I had the energy, I could ride over 15 miles in my area safely...

Rich

Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 AM

It's general aggressiveness and d--chebaggery behind the wheel that I'm more concerned about.
One would think a smaller town like Clovis would have calmer and more laid-back people there compared to where I'm currently living.

Where I'm living, the area's already been overrun by the "bro" culture and their matching sets of toys.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,510 times
By now you probably already know, but its easy to bike or longboard there. The people pull over the the LEFT LANE just to avoid hitting you. Very rarely do the vehicles give you less than a wide berth as they aren't used to pedestrian presence, therefore they are scared to hit you. One time somebody actually pulled towards me, giving me about 4 inches of room from his mirror. But that happened once in two years. Safe place. Wind sucks tho. On average 20+ mph.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times
How big (or should I say small) is Clovis, NM? I applied for a medical field job there earlier today and already got a call back on the job. Wow. Good thing is is I already accepted a position in Alamogordo, NM. I got the offer this afternoon and accepted it. So I'm moving down there from Idaho this weekend. Depending on what day the movers get here to load us up. Tomorrow (Sat. the 29th) or Sunday the 30th. Pretty stoked about it - my new Manager is really nice to work with and the surrounding crew seem nice as well. And I like Alamogordo and its surroundings.

I don't want to stray off topic - it's a good thing that I'm getting job responses from New Mexico. Have only been to El Paso at the International Airport there. I have a lot to learn about the area, but there seems to be a lot to see in the area and I'm really excited about going down there to live and work!

I'm just somewhat curious about Clovis, NM, guess I'll learn as I go on that little place.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
How big (or should I say small) is Clovis, NM?

I'm just somewhat curious about Clovis, NM, guess I'll learn as I go on that little place.
It's 22.5 square miles, and a population of about 37,000. Cannon Air Force Base is about 7 miles southwest of Clovis.

There are about 90 threads with Clovis in the title.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
I think there are about 50,000 folks in Curry County as a whole.

From the top of my head, some facts I recall about Clovis: The dry headwaters of the Brazos River originates in Curry County and runs across the south end of the City causing the southern part of town to be very sandy (Sandhills). Some of the less expensive real estate is located on the south side. Most of the newer growth, as well as the larger homes, extends north along Prince Street north of 21st. The east side of north Prince has always seemed to be the preferred side of Prince. The downtown area of Clovis is still alive and much of Main Street is still bricked. There is a Walmart Supercenter, a Lowes Building Supplies, several modern auto parts stores (Advance, O'Reilly's, NAPA, Autozone) and modern grocery stores. The nearest towns include Portales, NM (home to Eastern New Mexico University), Muleshoe, TX (home to Old Pete), Fort Sumner, NM (grave of Billy the Kid) and Tucumcari, NM (Tucumcari Mountain).

Buddy Holly and Waylon Jennings seemed to like Clovis during their musical heydays. From my own experience, it is a decent town but like over here on the Texas high plains, it can occasionally get dusty.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 AM

It's okay and bike-able here for the most part.
Six months in and I finally got a Jeep Liberty as a secondary vehicle to my bicycle.
As long as the winds aren't blowing like I'm living in the freezer, even the cold-days are alright to ride the 15 mile roundtrip from my current place to the cheese-plant and back.
But, the night-life and all that other "24-hour" stuff is low-to-non existent here and I'm only sticking around until I feel it's time to move on to the next way-point in life.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I think there are about 50,000 folks in Curry County as a whole.

From the top of my head, some facts I recall about Clovis: The dry headwaters of the Brazos River originates in Curry County and runs across the south end of the City causing the southern part of town to be very sandy (Sandhills). Some of the less expensive real estate is located on the south side. Most of the newer growth, as well as the larger homes, extends north along Prince Street north of 21st. The east side of north Prince has always seemed to be the preferred side of Prince. The downtown area of Clovis is still alive and much of Main Street is still bricked. There is a Walmart Supercenter, a Lowes Building Supplies, several modern auto parts stores (Advance, O'Reilly's, NAPA, Autozone) and modern grocery stores. The nearest towns include Portales, NM (home to Eastern New Mexico University), Muleshoe, TX (home to Old Pete), Fort Sumner, NM (grave of Billy the Kid) and Tucumcari, NM (Tucumcari Mountain).

Buddy Holly and Waylon Jennings seemed to like Clovis during their musical heydays. From my own experience, it is a decent town but like over here on the Texas high plains, it can occasionally get dusty.
Interesting.

Who is 'Old Pete' of Muleshoe, TX?

Cool about Buddy Holly and Wayon Jennings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico