Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times

Advertisements

I agree with the other posters. These places are nice. Another place for horse properties is Tularosa and LaLuz, both close to each other and close to Alamogordo.
Only problem is it might be a bit hot in the summer but that's my opinion.

I'm in Timberon, although a nice place to be, doesn't fit most of your criteria. Some of the people I've talked to in Capitan were positive about the area. Crime is also low. In fact, we're under contract now for a house there.

No such thing as the 'perfect' place but the best of luck to you in your search. Hope we're helping you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I agree with the other posters. These places are nice. Another place for horse properties is Tularosa and LaLuz, both close to each other and close to Alamogordo.
Only problem is it might be a bit hot in the summer but that's my opinion.

I'm in Timberon, although a nice place to be, doesn't fit most of your criteria. Some of the people I've talked to in Capitan were positive about the area. Crime is also low. In fact, we're under contract now for a house there.

No such thing as the 'perfect' place but the best of luck to you in your search. Hope we're helping you.
Song - you (all) are helping indeed. The only places I was aware of (and had visited prior) were Silver City, Santa Fe, ABQ and Taos. We loved Silver City but it doesn't look like $220K will buy us a few acres with a house - fro what I can tell it's either a mobile home with acreage in that area or you have to pay more....

Someone mentioned Pecos - I am aware of it but I think it too does not fit into our price range - too close to Santa Fe?

Las Vegas sounds interesting, so does Capitan. Tularosa looks a bit flat but if it is within 30 min from forest, it is a candidate

One area with cheap land seems to be Datil/Magdalena/Quemado triangle. I am just not sure about the weather in the winter there. Anyone care to chime in on that?

Keep them coming!
OD

Old 03-16-2012, 01:59 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Someone mentioned Pecos - I am aware of it but I think it too does not fit into our price range - too close to Santa Fe?
Pecos is 30 Miles from Santa Fe. Out of the reach of the exuberant Santa Fe Real Estate Prices.

Another town to look at is Villanueva. I love love that area. I have some land close to there. It does not meet your specs for 5k people (it only has about 2k) but there is lots of little towns nearby that would make up the 5k. There are a few restaurants and a couple of small grocery stores in the adjoining small towns. A winery and some art galleries. Real Estate is cheap. It is a valley with the Pecos river running through it. It's about 20 Minutes off of I-25. Absolutely beautiful area. About an hour from Santa Fe, 2 hours from Albuquerque and 40 minutes from Las Vegas.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:17 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
Quote:
One area with cheap land seems to be Datil/Magdalena/Quemado triangle. I am just not sure about the weather in the winter there. Anyone care to chime in on that?

Keep them coming!
OD
It's dry and can get impassable with snow some winters. The closer you get to Reserve the more hospitable it becomes.

LOTS of deer.

Very removed from outside civilization in that area, probably more so than anywhere else in the state. Population density is abysmally low.

I don't see how those three make a triangle. Datil is smack dab halfway between Magdalena & Quemado.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Tularosa looks a bit flat but if it is within 30 min from forest, it is a candidate
While both Tularosa and Alamogordo are on flatter land, the foothills rise quickly to the east and culminate in the forested ridges of the Lincoln Nat. Forest. There is excellent horse country to the east of Tularosa all the way to the Mescalero reservation line. A hidden gem, IMO, is the Nogal Canyon - accessed from the small community of Bent. Bent is just high enough to be cooler than Tularosa in the worst summer heat days.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
Fairly mild winters. But very remote (well, not Magdalena). There is plenty of remote land in NM that is cheap... but unless you *really* want to avoid civilization, you should pass.

Good source for climate data here: New Mexico

BTW... I'd consider a functional doublewide a "decent" home. If your budget is $200k and less, it's going to be tough to get anything fancy... especially after adding horse facilities and such. I think it's going to cost ~$75k to get land that you'd really like. And if I was you, I'd be looking at land that has good riding access right next to the property... as opposed to having to trailer somewhere.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Fairly mild winters. But very remote (well, not Magdalena). There is plenty of remote land in NM that is cheap... but unless you *really* want to avoid civilization, you should pass.

BTW... I'd consider a functional doublewide a "decent" home. If your budget is $200k and less, it's going to be tough to get anything fancy... especially after adding horse facilities and such. I think it's going to cost ~$75k to get land that you'd really like. And if I was you, I'd be looking at land that has good riding access right next to the property... as opposed to having to trailer somewhere.
rruf - thanks. I am starting to realize the reality of what you said above ...
OD

Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Pecos is 30 Miles from Santa Fe. Out of the reach of the exuberant Santa Fe Real Estate Prices.

Another town to look at is Villanueva. I love love that area. I have some land close to there. It does not meet your specs for 5k people (it only has about 2k) but there is lots of little towns nearby that would make up the 5k. There are a few restaurants and a couple of small grocery stores in the adjoining small towns. A winery and some art galleries. Real Estate is cheap. It is a valley with the Pecos river running through it. It's about 20 Minutes off of I-25. Absolutely beautiful area. About an hour from Santa Fe, 2 hours from Albuquerque and 40 minutes from Las Vegas.
Well, I am not sure if real-estate is cheap in Pecos or Villanueva, at least not according to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed or realtor.com or fsbo.com. The land that looks cheap(er) in these areas is eithet very sloping or heavily treed, so not for horses.

OD

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post

I guess the mobile homes have gone a long way in quality and looks. Does anyone know if one can get a loan to buy land and purchase a mobile home (with all improvements to the land like well, septic etc.) at the same time? If possible, what are the terms for such loans these days?

Thanks!
OD

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
You should talk to some lenders and see what they say. I know it is harder than it used to be by a long shot. But if you have good credit and a big down payment (at least 20%... maybe more), and <28% debt payment to income ratio... it should be possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico