Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 10:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times

Advertisements

jecc: Ouch, 108 degrees in Alamo. I didn't realize it was that hot. Even with low humidity, that's seriously hot. It probably feels better than 95 does here in Ft Worth, though.

That experience with the medical center in Alpine sounds pretty grim. They shouldn't roll up the sidewalks around the hospital at night, too!

cathy: I like Ft Davis best of the three towns, too. I've never been in such a small town with so much great food. The stars at night are big and bright from around there, that's for sure. I've been to the Texas Star Party at the Prude Ranch just north of FtD a couple of times, and it's incredible. NM has its own near Socorro in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
I'n Happily envious of you Cathy... Once the F-22 Raptors come in next year i think Alamo and Holloman AFB will really pick up as i hope to get out of ABQ and get back down to my beloved Alamo. Im really thinking of buying a Carpet Cleaning franchise or buy my own equipt etc.. and own my own business there to make my living. I really miss having Coffee on the patio over looking the city at Plateai Expresso on Scenic Dr.....

Sidenote: The city (Alamo) will be unveiling its new web site soon so i'll post the link when its up and running........

Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
jecc: Ouch, 108 degrees in Alamo. I didn't realize it was that hot. Even with low humidity, that's seriously hot. It probably feels better than 95 does here in Ft Worth, though.

That experience with the medical center in Alpine sounds pretty grim. They shouldn't roll up the sidewalks around the hospital at night, too!

cathy: I like Ft Davis best of the three towns, too. I've never been in such a small town with so much great food. The stars at night are big and bright from around there, that's for sure. I've been to the Texas Star Party at the Prude Ranch just north of FtD a couple of times, and it's incredible. NM has its own near Socorro in the fall.
108? *groan* *sigh* However, I doubt that it gets that hot very often. For what it's worth, Midland temps have been up to 101 only a couple of times this season so far. It's really been a lot more temperate than usual here, and for that I have been grateful!!!

I just hope fall hits Alamo sooner than it does WT....LOL!!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
I'n Happily envious of you Cathy... Once the F-22 Raptors come in next year i think Alamo and Holloman AFB will really pick up as i hope to get out of ABQ and get back down to my beloved Alamo. Im really thinking of buying a Carpet Cleaning franchise or buy my own equipt etc.. and own my own business there to make my living. I really miss having Coffee on the patio over looking the city at Plateai Expresso on Scenic Dr.....

Sidenote: The city (Alamo) will be unveiling its new web site soon so i'll post the link when its up and running........
Well, you know what, Harry? I finally decided that life was just TOO danged short not to be where I wanted to be. I should have done this 10 years ago instead of waiting so long, but that's water under the bridge, and we can only go forward from where we are. I even terminated a very long-term relationship....but that, too, will pass with time. We will see each other from time to time, but not like it is now.

I can't help you out on the carpet cleaning franchise as a customer if you decide to buy and start that business.....my house is 100% tile.....

But....time flies. It really does. I just finished 30 years here in Midland.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:12 PM

215 posts, read 839,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
108? *groan* *sigh* However, I doubt that it gets that hot very often.
I don't know how often Alamo gets that hot. I'm there once or twice a month for a few hours at most. In the nearly three years I've lived in CC, I have been in Alamo maybe a dozen times when it was near or over 100 in summer. I don't know what the weather does all that time I'm not there. Anything over 70-75 is too hot for me, so even CC can be uncomfortable for brief periods. That day Alamo was 108, CC topped out around 80. I could never live in Alamo or be in WTX full time.

Re the hospital in Alpine. It's not all bad. My mom has had major surgery there, and it went very well. I simply would not count on it as your sole source of medical care.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
I don't know how often Alamo gets that hot. I'm there once or twice a month for a few hours at most. In the nearly three years I've lived in CC, I have been in Alamo maybe a dozen times when it was near or over 100 in summer. I don't know what the weather does all that time I'm not there. Anything over 70-75 is too hot for me, so even CC can be uncomfortable for brief periods. That day Alamo was 108, CC topped out around 80. I could never live in Alamo or be in WTX full time.

Re the hospital in Alpine. It's not all bad. My mom has had major surgery there, and it went very well. I simply would not count on it as your sole source of medical care.
I hear you on the over 80....I like it below 80 and above 0.

We will see how I like it over the next few years. It should be a really interesting adventure!

That's good about your mom's surgery going well.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:35 PM

jecc: I'm happy to hear that your mom is doing well.

That's the problem with those little isolated places, although, I love 'em...one just doesn't have many options. In the case of Alpine, if it's not there, it's nealr 200 miles to where it is.

I can take 100 degrees if it isn't humid, although I prefer it cooler. When it gets below about 20, it's a shock, but maybe I could get used to it. At least it deosn't stay hot all night in Alamo (does it?).

Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I can take 100 degrees if it isn't humid, although I prefer it cooler. When it gets below about 20, it's a shock, but maybe I could get used to it. At least it deosn't stay hot all night in Alamo (does it?).
Catman, It depends..It usually cools off in the evening, which is good. I live at the base of Alamo canyon and we always get a cool breeze at night..But in the day its coming off the desert.

Cathy, Tailgating is Aug 11th - Country... plan on it.. and if anyone else want s to join us just let me know.
Jane

Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Cathy, Tailgating is Aug 11th - Country... plan on it.. and if anyone else want s to join us just let me know.
Jane
Sounds good to me. I hope to be out of here pretty quickly, depending on how soon I can get the movers/packing finished. You know how overwhelming that is.

My house went under contract last night, and I'm running it by the title company later this morning. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well!!

I MUST get the packing finished this weekend and get the movers over Monday or so to do inventory. Maybe I can be out of here by the end of next week.....

When I was a kid, our nights nearly always cooled down in WT. They have been cooling down this summer, too. But there have been years where nights have been like a blast furnace...Alamo should usually cool off pretty well at night, being at a higher elevation, I'd think.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 07-26-2007 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 PM

I did some research online, and according to what I found, the warmest average low is 67 degrees in July, while the average warmest high is 95 in late June. I'm sure those figures are exceeded on occasion, but they don't sound bad to me. The all-time record high is 110. The all-time record low is -14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico