Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLP View Post
I'm really excited to check out the area. The weather sounds perfect and so do the people. I read somewhere that Las Cruces is about 59 mile away. Dose the pass get snowed in during the winter sometimes. How far would El Paso be. Dose anyone know by any chance where the nearest Veterans Hospital is(El Paso or Las Cruces or both). I have to travel 75 miles one way to the VA hospital now in terrible weather sometimes. I think when people say there's nothing to do in an area its because they look at everything from a drinking/party stand point. I know I did in my younger days.
I'm not worried about church going people. There good folks. I just read in one of the comments under a different post about the signs around town and all the churches. That dosen't bother me none. However,I have been to a town in the south while in the Army that if you didn't attend church it was a cold place to be if you get my drift. Thats why I asked the question.
Is vehicle insurance more expensive there due to non insured driver problems? Also is there certain areas one should stay away from when buying a home that is considered the bad side of town due to crime. I'll contact the police department also sometime. Heck in the 6 years I've been in my house I've had 4 attemped break ins by the drunks in the area who are jealous of what other people have because they'd rather steal then get a job and the most low down someone can do is steal your heating fuel which they did before I caught onto it and put a lock on the tank. I hope to have my house sold and be relocated by the end of next summer by the latest. Should I keep my ATV or is there areas people go to ride. Oh one more question. Dog friendly or not.

I really appriecate you folks being so nice.
Thanks
Scott
I don't beleive it does going thru the Organ mountains. It rarely snows in Southern NM.

The nearest VA is in El Paso about 75 miles south.There's also a VA clinic in Alamo also do to its high military retiree population.

There are alot of churches in the area but so what. I don't go to any church and i've never had a problem there with that.

I wouldn't say there are any bad areas per se but maybe the older core is a little rough on the edges if you catch my drift.

Atvs and dirt bikers etc...will like the area as the numerous mountain canyons with dirt trails for hundreds of miles make it a fun place for that.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 11-01-2007 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
ScottLP - Move ASAP - Avoid another winter in Alaska. Once you get too Alamo and thaw out you will never want to leave. the roads up in the mountains are ment to ridden.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottLP View Post
I'm really excited to check out the area. The weather sounds perfect and so do the people. I read somewhere that Las Cruces is about 59 mile away. Dose the pass get snowed in during the winter sometimes. How far would El Paso be. Dose anyone know by any chance where the nearest Veterans Hospital is(El Paso or Las Cruces or both). I have to travel 75 miles one way to the VA hospital now in terrible weather sometimes. I think when people say there's nothing to do in an area its because they look at everything from a drinking/party stand point. I know I did in my younger days.
I'm not worried about church going people. There good folks. I just read in one of the comments under a different post about the signs around town and all the churches. That dosen't bother me none. However,I have been to a town in the south while in the Army that if you didn't attend church it was a cold place to be if you get my drift. Thats why I asked the question.
Is vehicle insurance more expensive there due to non insured driver problems? Also is there certain areas one should stay away from when buying a home that is considered the bad side of town due to crime. I'll contact the police department also sometime. Heck in the 6 years I've been in my house I've had 4 attemped break ins by the drunks in the area who are jealous of what other people have because they'd rather steal then get a job and the most low down someone can do is steal your heating fuel which they did before I caught onto it and put a lock on the tank. I hope to have my house sold and be relocated by the end of next summer by the latest. Should I keep my ATV or is there areas people go to ride. Oh one more question. Dog friendly or not.

I really appriecate you folks being so nice.
Thanks
Scott
Scott,
The pass may get some snow, but it doesn't stop the traffic. And it melts quickly.
El Paso has the VA hosp.
Come down and visit during the winter.. you may not want to head back.
dog friendly - I would say yes as long as its well behaved. But remember thats my opinion.
ATV - keep it Cheryl and I have been out on about 30 miles of trails together and we have a lot more to explore - like 560 miles that a friend has mapped out.
My neighbor has a cabin in AK and comes down during the winter.
If you have any questions as to where to live when it gets closer let us know. You may want to rent first to see where you would want to live.
Jane

Old 11-01-2007, 11:57 AM

13 posts, read 24,020 times
I'd leave Alaska in a heart beat but this is my last season racing sled dogs. So I can't afford to leave AK now. In order to market my kennel I have a few 200 mile races to run so training is priority one. Not to mention its going to be awefully hard letting go of my dogs so good homes they have to go too and I'm picky. But the Alaska cold is reaking havoc on my body so my doctors have said I need to move to improve on top of finances and being so expensive here. So its a no brainer really even though I fight it sometimes.

When I told my real estate agent I wanted to sell he had 2 people wanting to look at my place(other mushers) before it was even listed. But he jumped the gun(so did I) to soon and asked me if I could be out in 60 days. Of course I said no way. I have a kennel to sell first.
Thats why I asked about being dog friendly. I'll have a couple of retired dogs that have logged over 10,000 miles with me on the trail.
I do plan on renting first to make sure I find the right place for me and save money again after such a long very expensive move.

I had to change my user name/password. It didn't want to except my other one.
Scottl

Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
I'd leave Alaska in a heart beat but this is my last season racing sled dogs. So I can't afford to leave AK now. In order to market my kennel I have a few 200 mile races to run so training is priority one. Not to mention its going to be awefully hard letting go of my dogs so good homes they have to go too and I'm picky. But the Alaska cold is reaking havoc on my body so my doctors have said I need to move to improve on top of finances and being so expensive here. So its a no brainer really even though I fight it sometimes.

When I told my real estate agent I wanted to sell he had 2 people wanting to look at my place(other mushers) before it was even listed. But he jumped the gun(so did I) to soon and asked me if I could be out in 60 days. Of course I said no way. I have a kennel to sell first.
Thats why I asked about being dog friendly. I'll have a couple of retired dogs that have logged over 10,000 miles with me on the trail.
I do plan on renting first to make sure I find the right place for me and save money again after such a long very expensive move.

I had to change my user name/password. It didn't want to except my other one.
Scottl
Scott,
You may want to consider Timberon or somewhere else where you do have some snow, but not super cold. I am thinking of the dogs here. They may not like the summers here.
At least you have interest in your place up there. That is a plus. And I am sure that it will be hard to let go of your sled team.
Good luck on your races that you will be doing this winter.
Jane

Old 11-01-2007, 06:00 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,966 times
Scott, You will love it in Southern NM. I worked on the Cook Inlet Pipeline, between Granite Point and Drift River. It is great in the summer, But they can keep the winters. I can remember when the weather would get up to 35 deg.s and shedding the Carhadts because it seemed so warm. 25 and 30 below No Thanks! I can't take that anymore myself. The Mountains here are not like there, but they are beautiful !!! And you can enjoy them year round. Good Luck with the pups!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 PM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Scott-I live in western Colorado; I know about bone rattling cold. I have friends allthrough N.M. I love it. I don't know a lot about Alamogordo but have eaten at several restaurants and always enjoyed my stay there.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 PM

13 posts, read 24,020 times
Default Is winter over yet

Actually Alamo sounds mighty fine with no snow. I've shoveled and pushed enough snow to last the rest of my life. The dogs will do fine there in the summers. They can come in the house in the hottest parts of the days if I can get them too. They don't like the house. A double coat on a dog also helps keep them cool like it dose in the winter to keep them warmer. There just amazing animals. It gets into the 80's here with high humidity. Its the winters when we get low humidity.
I don't mind 90's with low humidity. I was in Yuma,AZ when it was 116 and it got up to 124 after I left thank goodness. The probelm there is it stays hot into the night. Cool nights and warm days. Can there be a better combination. Not in my book.
Scott

Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Default Snow Dogs in Southern NM

Hi Scott,
I think your dogs will be fine in Alamogordo and pretty much anywhere in southern NM. I am moving to Las Cruces soon with my Sibes. As you noted, the dry air is much better for them and us then humid air - I know mine are miserable in July/Aug here in North Jersey. I met someone who moved to Las Cruces from the mid-west with a Malamute who is just fine. Extra added bonus - she doesn't grow such a heavy coat in winter so less coat to blow in the spring

Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
Actually Alamo sounds mighty fine with no snow. I've shoveled and pushed enough snow to last the rest of my life. The dogs will do fine there in the summers. They can come in the house in the hottest parts of the days if I can get them too. They don't like the house. A double coat on a dog also helps keep them cool like it dose in the winter to keep them warmer. There just amazing animals. It gets into the 80's here with high humidity. Its the winters when we get low humidity.
I don't mind 90's with low humidity. I was in Yuma,AZ when it was 116 and it got up to 124 after I left thank goodness. The probelm there is it stays hot into the night. Cool nights and warm days. Can there be a better combination. Not in my book.
Scott
Well, I am looking forward to (and really hoping for) SOME snow here in Alamo this winter, LOL!!

One big difference in the climate from where I moved (WT, only 290 miles) is that the nights cool off substantially here, whereas they sometimes stayed hot in West Texas. I really enjoy the cool, dry evenings and crisp mornings! The weather here right now is just terrific.....70s during the day and high 30s-mid-40s at night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico