Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:51 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,015,794 times

Advertisements

Cathy,
Harry said it all. I really love the area, being able to go up in the Mts summer and winter if I want to visit the snow.
On places to avoid, ask your realitor if it is in the flood zone. Taxes are higher and it can flood, we did have that problem last year. And like Harryo said don't rule out La Luz or Tulie for smaller communities.
Good luck on your search.
Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,784,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Wishing you the best Cathy! I definitely want to know about Cloudcroft if you make it up there. I would love to go visit there. Mom and I are watching for your Alamo info too. Good Luck!
Thanks, Luv. I'll be sure and report back in!!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Places to avoid?? Can't really think of any as crime is low in Alamo. There's only 2 ways into Alamo from the border and both roads (US 54/US 70) have Border Patrol check points so drugs and criminals etc.. are sometimes weeded out before getting into town.

Most of Alamogordo (pop 40,000) is a long rectangular shape along the Sacramento mountains so the new housing subdivisions are on the extreme southern end around the Golf Course and the extreme northern end around the Mall. The older areas in the core are probably alot cheaper on home prices. Some of the incorporated areas south of the city going to Oliver Lee state park you'll see houses and trailers scattered amongst acres of land. The town of La Luz (pop 1,000) just north is mainly an artist type colony. Also some people live about 8 miles north in Tularosa (pop 2,500) and work in Alamo as its a ranching and farming community.

The hospital on North Scenic is about 8 years old and has expanded 3 to 4 times already now and the Home Depot and Lowes across from the mall were built reciently. Holloman AFB (10 miles west) is getting the F-22 raptors and has gone thru extensive expansion and remodeling. Also a new Business park by the airport west of the city is going up and new construction and industry on the North Bypass which itself is fairly new. Even the drive to and from El Paso on US 54 was reciently expanded fron 2 lanes to 4 lane divided hyway.

Alamo is growing at a even steady pace of housing and businesses as not too fast or slow and also has alot of retirees both civilian and military do to the great year around weather. Some like to golf in the mornings when its cool and then go up to Cloudcroft in the afternoons as it can be 70 degrees up there in july.Your only 20 minutes from the mountain resorts of Cloudcroft and 45 minutes from Ruidoso. The mountain rainge there is roughly 100 miles long and about 40 to 50 miles wide and at peaks of 10,000 ft to Sierra Blanca Peak at 12,000 ft so a wide rainge of mountain fun close by.

If you go to the Lodge hotel up in cloudcroft you may get a glimpse of the resident Ghost Rebecca as she haunts the place. Been on unsolved mysteries etc... Sorry to sound like the Chamber of Commerce as its not the best city in New Mexico but happens to be my favorate place and area. harry!
Well, that just about says it all, LOL!! Much of the area is familiar to me (EP, Ruidoso, et al).....I have also been to White Sands and such, but it has been 30+ years, so.....

I doubt I will do much wide-area exploring. This trip is strictly for house-hunting (ugh) and seeing Alamogordo itself. The agent also said that I might like Tularosa and La Luz. I'll just see what the area has to offer. I find myself gravitating to the older homes (20+) with mountain views out the back.....

Thanks, Harry....

Old 05-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Cathy,
Harry said it all. I really love the area, being able to go up in the Mts summer and winter if I want to visit the snow.
On places to avoid, ask your realitor if it is in the flood zone. Taxes are higher and it can flood, we did have that problem last year. And like Harryo said don't rule out La Luz or Tulie for smaller communities.
Good luck on your search.
Jane
Thanks, Jane.

I mentioned the flooding to the agent--and a contract will be contingent on not being in a flood zone or where it flooded last year. She will show me the hardest-hit areas, and what to stay away from.

What happened was very unusual for both El Paso and Alamo...and probably won't happen again for several years, but still...I know what you mean.

I'm looking forward to the visit! I just wish it didn't get so hot there.

But....I've looked at temps in all three places (Midland, TX, Farmington/Alamo, NM).....and they don't vary that much. The difference seems to be how long it stays so hot (here, from May to the end of October) and the nights cooling off. They cool off substantially more in the NW, of course.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM

1,317 posts, read 5,257,702 times
Default La Luz

Hi,
we lived in La Luz almost 6yrs ago. I loved that little place,and cant
wait to get back there again. I miss it

Greenchili

Old 05-24-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Hi,
we lived in La Luz almost 6yrs ago. I loved that little place,and cant
wait to get back there again. I miss it

Greenchili
She did mention that I might like La Luz or Tularosa....so I'm keeping an open mind!!

Thanks again, it's much appreciated, GC....

Speaking of GC....I will head to Blake's for a green chile burger for sure!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,995,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I have reservations in Alamogordo, and will be heading out that way this coming Monday to see the area again and look at a few properties.

Cathy: Best wishes on your journey and for a successful house hunt. I know you were disappointed after your last trip ..... maybe this time you will find the perfect place!!!

We'll be thinking of you and awaiting reports. (I think you should check out La Luz and Tularosa and Cloudcroft I have heard they are all pretty cool.)

Did you have to mention the green chile burger at Blake's????
(Now I am extremely jealous!)

Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Cathy: Best wishes on your journey and for a successful house hunt. I know you were disappointed after your last trip ..... maybe this time you will find the perfect place!!!

We'll be thinking of you and awaiting reports. (I think you should check out La Luz and Tularosa and Cloudcroft I have heard they are all pretty cool.)

Did you have to mention the green chile burger at Blake's????
(Now I am extremely jealous!)
Thanks, Towanda.....

When I came back through Alamo from Farmington, something niggled at me when I drove in. I had come that way merely to see the city and general area again....and had a contract pending in Farmington, as you already know.

When that didn't pan out, I really started thinking....hmmmmm!!!!!

I have a feeling I will know fairly quickly what I want to do after a couple of days of seeing the area again!

I am sort of torn right now, but I hope the feeling goes away one way or the other!!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 03:10 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,015,794 times
Cathy,
One thing as I think back of buying our house in Alamo, sit on the street and see what the traffic is like. You may not want the street traffic. But this could be in any town. We bought our house in 1 week-end, and found a great one other thant the street traffic. We have always lived off a lane in the country so it was different. And if you are not afraid of work , let the realitor know. We used 33 gal of paint, the former owner was a smoker and needed a lot of cleaning and coverup. Neighbors were great. Wish I was going to be in town, but I am in Il right now.
And yes it can be hot, but it does cool off at night, and then head up the hill in 20 minutes and its 20 degrees cooler.
Have fun on your hunt.
Jane

Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,540,014 times
If I had to choose between Farmingtom and Alamogordo, I would pick Alamo. Not certian why, but Alamo seemed like a pretty nice place. It was also a very short drive to the mountains.

Last edited by GregW; 05-25-2007 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: spelling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico