U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 PM

2,612 posts, read 2,546,567 times

Advertisements

I would like someone to pin down "middle class" for me!

I define "middle class" in terms of the particular locale under examination. As an example in NM: people in Albq likely look at people living in places like Vaughn, Willard, Carrizozo, etc as being "poor" or "underclass." But those people look at themselves within their locale and consider themselves middle class or better.

In any event, to make claims such as "NM is composed of 95% poverty class and 5% ricos" is absurd, IMO.

OTOH, NM has long ranked at the bottom of the list of states with strong and diverse economies. That's not changed in decades and not likely to change anytime soon.

Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,248,991 times
I would also like to know what a "dicty" retired person is, lest I become one somewhere.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 AM

17,508 posts, read 18,664,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I would also like to know what a "dicty" retired person is, lest I become one somewhere.
I just had to look it up:

Quote:
Dicty | Define Dicty at Dictionary.com

dicty
[dik-tee]

adjective dic·ti·er, dic·ti·est. Slang .

1. high-class or stylish.
2. snobbish or haughty.

Rich

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:
November 2014 "Theme" Contest
November 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,759,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I disagree with the statement above that New Mexico does not have a middle class.

I am middle class as are most of my friends and many neighbors -- and we live in Santa Fe.

Continuing to say that New Mexico has only an upper and lower class is just not a true statement. In my opinion.
Let's see, NM ranks 48th in the poverty levels by state in the country. Real estate prices are among the highest (on the state level) in the country.

It is ranked 40th in the country by median household income and 45th by per capita income.

It ranks 23rd in unemployment rate (which is actually not bad).

NM ranks 39th in the GDP.

It is 3rd in the number of mobile homes (whopping 16.6% are mobiles).

It ranks 7th according to latest census in the violent crime rate (per 100,000) in the country.

It ranks #4 in alcohol abuse and dependence.

NM is 28th in alcohol related traffic fatalities.

It is 39th in the number of people with Bachelor's degrees completed (17th in rankings of people with advanced degrees).

Finally, NM has some of the highest real estate prices in the country according to Trulia (higher on average than places like Washington, Oregon and Texas), all for a place of roughly two million people.

Sources were: Wikipedia, Trulia and statemaster.com

OD

Last edited by ognend; 04-27-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 AM

33,618 posts, read 28,859,281 times
I believe the RE prices are bi-polar. There are lot of very pricy houses is places like Taos (one 750 sqft was listed for 200 grand) but there are a lot of under, sometimes way under, 100 grand houses is less popular towns. Just search prices in towns like Magdalena or San Antonio near Socorro.

My wife and I are wondering how much a 4 month rental might be for a small house or an efficency apt in the Socorro area. So far various searches have not yielded useful information. We are in the priliminary stage of a snowbird trip to avoid a New England winter.

BTW - Neither Magdalena, San Antonio or Socorro, for that matter, are very pretty towns.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe the RE prices are bi-polar. There are lot of very pricy houses is places like Taos (one 750 sqft was listed for 200 grand) but there are a lot of under, sometimes way under, 100 grand houses is less popular towns. Just search prices in towns like Magdalena or San Antonio near Socorro.

My wife and I are wondering how much a 4 month rental might be for a small house or an efficency apt in the Socorro area. So far various searches have not yielded useful information. We are in the priliminary stage of a snowbird trip to avoid a New England winter.

BTW - Neither Magdalena, San Antonio or Socorro, for that matter, are very pretty towns.
I agree about the prices being bi-polar but that was kind of my point but I would not use the word "bi-polar", rather "5-95-olar"

I liked Magdalena but it is tiny!

I would like to see Quemado and Pie Town. That area has been of interest to me because of the relatively cheap land (by NM standards). I know that there is nothing there but that would kind of be the point.

I did read somewhere that there is some kind of a thing going on with water and the town of Datil (A water grab gets blocked - The Santa Fe New Mexican) hopefully it all ends well...

OD

Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM

391 posts, read 381,494 times
Was just in Quemado and Pie Town a couple weeks ago. There is a reason property is cheap there..isolation being one of the major ones.
Think 80 miles to a real supermarket and 120 to Home Depot. There are grocery options closer, but when I was there the buzz was that the only grocery was closing because the owners were tired of losing money.
If you like isolation, long lonely drives and canned/frozen food it would be appealing. For me, a nice place to visit, have a slice of pie and chat with people, then move along.
Both Quemado and (especially) PT qualify as dying little towns, sorry to say.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:38 PM

419 posts, read 423,018 times
Id have to say I was pretty impressed with Las Vegas, NM

Old 04-27-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
Was just in Quemado and Pie Town a couple weeks ago. There is a reason property is cheap there..isolation being one of the major ones.
Think 80 miles to a real supermarket and 120 to Home Depot. There are grocery options closer, but when I was there the buzz was that the only grocery was closing because the owners were tired of losing money.
If you like isolation, long lonely drives and canned/frozen food it would be appealing. For me, a nice place to visit, have a slice of pie and chat with people, then move along.
Both Quemado and (especially) PT qualify as dying little towns, sorry to say.
Cosmic, thanks for the report, solitude is what I am after . But it also has to be pretty
OD

Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,452,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have seen this pattern, as well, regarding the middle class, the sheer lack of it in New Mexico, and how average house and land prices match the average income to be earned in the state. It is my belief, and I have stated this before, that the further west you settle in this country, the more this condition exists.
Not really a "further west" phenomena, but one that persists in much of the west for a few reasons. Primarily in this day, because of beautiful landscapes... and in the southern part (CA, AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV), a significantly drier and more agreeable climate. As the US population has grown, those "back east" (or CA!) with the inclination and means have bought the most desirable areas, bidding up the RE prices. This simply doesn't happen in St Louis.

Still, NM isn't expensive IMO. Sure, Taos and Santa Fe are... but that is about it. One of the big reasons we moved to Ruidoso 5 years ago was because land is relatively affordable compared to any similar place... and I've been all over the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico