U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 PM

391 posts, read 392,698 times
a great idea is priceless
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 PM

Of course, with the good news comes some less than cheerful discoveries...the New Mexico Tourism people apparently forgot that Southern New Mexico is part of the state and, I know this is a surprise to them, has some wonderful places to visit. It's sometimes hard for the navel-gazers in Santa Fe to realize that.
Our View: State tourism guide ignores our community - Las Cruces Sun-News
This is not really a surprise, as the state's second largest city is often overlooked, if not ignored, by the North. I'd think with a Southern woman occupying the governors office there might be less of that, but apparently it's a work in progress.
I hope the legislators from the South pick up the governors slack and raise hell about it.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,924,564 times
The State funds regional tourism boards that they give money to for that purpose. On a Statewide campaign you cant expect them to mention everything we have, thats what the website is for and the NM Magazine

Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 AM

1,565 posts, read 1,360,658 times
Are ya speakin' of Las Cruces, cosmiccrowbar? I mean, ya got yer Albuquerque and yer Santa Fe...and for the Art Bell types ya got yer Roswell. After that, Carlsbad? For tourism, I mean? Silver City is quite small, yet somewhat appealing and artsy-fartsy.

Ya must be speakin' of Las Cruces. Lordsburg? Southern New Mexico?

Willcox, AZ? Bowie, AZ? Naw-them are in Arizona silly!

Last edited by elkotronics; 04-29-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,581,614 times
You'll always have whiners.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,483,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That is the kind of campaign New Mexico should use--video of the sights and sounds of New Mexico, no narration, with "New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment" at the end. Done properly, just the visuals of New Mexico would be enough to sell the state to prospective tourists.
You're hired!

But don't forget the strategic placement of hot chicks and people having a really good time...

Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM

I think the point of the Sun-News editorial (click on the link) was pointing out that LC, as the state's second largest city, deserved more coverage in an 8 page state funded Spring travel publication than it got. The words "Las Cruces" appear once, in a sentence about "adventure". Silver City, the Gila wilderness/ruins and a whole lot of other stuff was totally ignored. Trekking with llamas in Taos, on the other hand, got full feature plus the front page.
The secretary or tourism is a Taos native and grew up in the ski and hotel business there, so I think that explains a lot.
I'm not whining about it...as anybody who has bothered to read this thread knows I'm very happy that NM has finally gotten the message that an organized and funded state promo program is badly needed and long overdue. And I'm completely aware that the Albuquerque to Taos trifecta is the center of tourism in the state. The editorial simply points out that in addition to "One of our States is Missing" there is a "One of our Cities is Missing" issue. I hope that changes next year.
Maybe we need more strategically placed "hot chicks" down here.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:54 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,924,564 times
If you place em, ill take pics and submit them to the State!

Sent from my Alcatel OT-981A using Tapatalk

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM

No, no...wouldn't want to trouble you, Brian...I'll shoot the pics here Trouble is, in mid-afternoon ALL chicks are hot...and sweaty.
I better wait 'till morning.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 AM

296 posts, read 275,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
Of course, with the good news comes some less than cheerful discoveries...the New Mexico Tourism people apparently forgot that Southern New Mexico is part of the state and, I know this is a surprise to them, has some wonderful places to visit. It's sometimes hard for the navel-gazers in Santa Fe to realize that.
Our View: State tourism guide ignores our community - Las Cruces Sun-News
This is not really a surprise, as the state's second largest city is often overlooked, if not ignored, by the North. I'd think with a Southern woman occupying the governors office there might be less of that, but apparently it's a work in progress.
I hope the legislators from the South pick up the governors slack and raise hell about it.
Oh hush, seriously.... Susana is from the Southern part of New Mexico. She is doing everything and then some for that region. It could be worse, we had a governor who rejected the southern portion for 8 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico