Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 11,275 times

Advertisements

My brother wants to move to New Mexico and I am helping him research the area. Regrettably, there is only so much that I can research from Maryland. He is a high functioning, independent, vulnerable adult who was hit by a distracted driver. Luckily, he only sustained cognitive and physical injuries, much like the movie “Regarding Henry”. His motivation to move to New Mexico, is the nice people, the weather, the lower than national average cost of living, the lower than national average crime, the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act, the natural beauty and art.

He is a compassionate, peaceful, patient, tolerant, happy person whom is looking to move to an area in New Mexico. Where do you believe is the best place to consider?

Last edited by C0MPA55ION; 04-23-2012 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: To edit out formatting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM

45 posts, read 105,854 times
I'd suggest you look into Silver City. It's a really sweet small town, easy to navigate, filled with wonderful people, very low crime rate, beautiful land, incredible hiking....

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
Silver City isn't exactly "the best place to live around Santa Fe."

Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I forget what the nature of the injuries were in "Regarding Henry."
Why is he interested in New Mexico, if not a specific town or city? By "vulnerable," do you mean too trusting and unable to discern social cues, especially if someone has bad motives?
Wasn't "Regarding Henry" Harrison Ford, or was it William Hurt?

Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0MPA55ION View Post
My brother wants to move to New Mexico and I am helping him research the area. Regrettably, there is only so much that I can research from Maryland. He is a high functioning, independent, vulnerable adult who was hit by a distracted driver. Luckily, he only sustained cognitive and physical injuries, much like the movie “Regarding Henryâ€. His motivation to move to New Mexico, is the nice people, the weather, the lower than national average cost of living, the lower than national average crime, the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Act, the natural beauty and art.

He is a compassionate, peaceful, patient, tolerant, happy person whom is looking to move to an area in New Mexico. Where do you believe is the best place to consider?
I have no idea what kind of infrastructure a person like this requires (social, medical, access to things in a certain way etc.). That may be an important consideration?

Good luck,
OD

Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,243 times
Default Santa Fe, well, let's see now...

Having lived here 37 years as a transplant from back East, i have perspective some Natives here don't; so 1st i'll tell you: SFe (and NM in-general) are NOT low-crime areas! Try reading the last 5 year's worth of the local paper: "the "SFe New Mexican" and/or the "ABQ Journal" so you'll get a feel for the place. NM is at the bottom of the barrel on many fronts, and never seems able to fix-things. This state has the worst schools, is always #1 in drunk Drivers, has corrupt politics, lots of drugs and alcohol problems, terrible drivers, lakes you can't swim-in 'cause of the syringes & broken beer bottles on most of the shorelines, racism (in both directions), high burglary rates, horrific animal & child abuse and Dom.Violence problems, Trash thrown/blown everywhere, has the heroin-Capitol of the US (20 miles N. of SFe) and now, is finally running out of water! (due to greedy developers who thought the SW desert was actually Ohio in-disguise.) SFE in particular has: high rents, many lousy sidewalks forcing a person to ride in the st., lots of burglary, traffic congestion & more bad drivers, 2000 Homeless people and few jobs.
But, if you have enough $ and can stand all the bad-stuff, we also have: BLUE Skies 85% of the time, Native American Art and many other types, low humidity, nearby mtns., great food and scenic vistas.
So read those Tourist-Brochures then get a map and with SFe as the center and make concentric circles radiating out from it and find the cities with the lowest crime-statistics... your Choice.
Adios!!!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0MPA55ION View Post
My brother wants to move to New Mexico and I am helping him research the area.
You "imply" that he is going to be doing this alone? That would be a difficult decision for even a mildly handicapped individual to make. Without some sort of transferable support system, I believe you're research is misdirected since no total stranger on the internet can possibly know what his immediate needs might be, or where he should seek the help he needs. Your best bet is to consult with the professionals now charged with his care - or find someone who can give sound advice where he now resides.

Otherwise you can get a general idea of different towns by reading through the various threads on City Data Forums for all the information you can stand concerning the good, the bad and the ugly of a particular place.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
I haven't seen the movie, 'Regarding Henry' but I have a suggestion for you.

What size area does he want? A city, medium size town or small town?

Does the climate matter? Desert or mountains? How important is it to be close to medical facilities, nice restaurants, etc.?

Find out exactly why he wants to move to NM or thinks he wants to be here and we can offer our help more to you.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,261 times
siringo - I just wonder why, if it's as bad as you perceive, have you stayed here for 37 years?
Geeze, if I felt as you did I'd have been gone in 37 days!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
I was thinking the same thing, Great Santa Fe!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico