Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM

334 posts, read 662,437 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were thinking of selling our condo in St. Pete Florida and buying a small home in NM. Can anyone recommend a warmer part of the state that has affordable housing? It is just my wife, myself, and our dog so we don't need a large home. The names of any towns or cities would be appreciated as would a very ballpark idea of housing costs. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Have you ever been in New Mexico? If not, why do you think you want to move here?

Regardless of your answers, begin your search by looking at the second largest city in the state, located along the southern state line - Las Cruces. It is considered an ideal retirement town by many who have moved there from elsewhere. The climate is mild in winter and hot but generally low humidity in summer.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Are any other aspects important to you besides warmth and housing cost?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Well, I'll try this first. Assuming you're retired, I'd probably go with Las Cruces. I'm not THAT familiar with housing costs there, but I've been through there several times and the winters there are mild. Las Cruces population is over 100,000, is only a little over a half hours drive from El Paso, has experienced quite a bit of growth over the last several years.

You also have Deming, about an hours drive west of LC on I-10. It's a smaller town, though. Population is around 20,000. Climate is similar. In the southeast corner of the state, you have Roswell, Artesia, and Carlsbad. I'm only guessing population figures here but Roswell is around 50,000 in population and Artesia and Carlsbad are about half that.

Now my experience in winter! Don't assume it doesn't snow in Las Cruces because it CAN! In fact, this past winter Cruces and El Paso got a sizable storm! Someone posted some good looking pics of the Organ Mountains in the area. THEY WERE COOL! Hopefully the individual who posted those pics will read this and put them up here on this thread.

One thing to consider. In my experience driving New Mexico southern roads is not so much the winter snow regarding traveling as much as wind. In February till the end of March I've run into buzzsaw winds west of Cruces and particularly between Deming and Lordsburg. And the NM State patrol will not hesitate shutting the roads down either.

The elevations in Carlsbad is 3111 ft. and in Roswell it is 3573 ft. Las Cruces is 3896 ft.

More people will post on this thread soon, in fact Las Cruces has a subforum that has useful information.

UPDATE-looks like I'm 4th! Joqua is right. New Mexico is a different state. If you are sold on the area come out for a visit and spend two to three WEEKS in New Mexico, a few days in each city. Am not sure there is an extended stay in Las Cruces, but I've enjoyed my stays there through Super 8, just off the interstate.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
My wife and I were thinking of selling our condo in St. Pete Florida and buying a small home in NM. Can anyone recommend a warmer part of the state that has affordable housing? It is just my wife, myself, and our dog so we don't need a large home. The names of any towns or cities would be appreciated as would a very ballpark idea of housing costs. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.
Tell us first what you consider "affordable". For the most part the nicest parts of NM are not affordable in my books. Your books may be different.

OD

Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Avg. winter low in St Petersburg FL: 54 F
Avg. winter high in Las Cruces NM: 56 F

Most people considering NM from warmer climes really have no idea how cold even the hot parts of the state get during the winter. I suspect this is the case here.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
When I was considering a job in Los Alamos my wife joked about moving from the snowy northeast with 5,000 deg. day winters to the sunny southwest with 7,000 deg day winters (specific to the mountain town of Los Alamos).

As I am nearing retirement we are considering wintering over in Socorro in a couple years. You might want to consider this town as well as Truth or Consequences as places to retire. T or C has the advantages of numerous hot springs to ease the old bones. I have read, mostly on this Forum, that T or C has an active retirement community. Remember these southern Rio Grande valley places can get Very hot in the summer.

In any case go out there for an extended visit before you finalize your plans. Also take a taxi or local bus to the downtown before you pick up your rental car. That will save a lot of airport access fees.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:46 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Avg. winter low in St Petersburg FL: 54 F
Avg. winter high in Las Cruces NM: 56 F
Here is City Data information showing "AVERAGE DAILY HIGH." Jan/Dec are shown as "averaging" in the high 50s - usually with very low humidity and full sun that makes it feel much warmer when out of the wind.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Here is City Data information showing "AVERAGE DAILY HIGH." Jan/Dec are shown as "averaging" in the high 50s - usually with very low humidity and full sun that makes it feel much warmer when out of the wind.
Be that as it may, Florida it ain't.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,748 times
LOL!!

Yeah, LOTS of Easterners think New Mexico is like Southern Arizona in climate.
Snow, and the occasional sub-zero temperatures, will cure anyone of that misconception pretty quick!!

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico