U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM

120 posts, read 279,035 times

Advertisements

Truth or Consequences (formerly Hot Springs) is going through a renaissance of attracting talented holistic healers to the town. "Healing Arts and Arts That Heal" was the theme of the town's Chamber of Commerce brochure in the more recent past. These New Holistic Healers didn't appear out of nowhere. I believe they followed in the footprints of the Old Time Healers that we knew and loved prior to the turn of the century, when the last of them retired into the history books.

Not to be rivaled by those in other healing meccas like Sedona, the new holistic health practitioners include medical doctors, chiropractors, massage therapists, reflexologists, tarot readers, famous astrologers, acupuncturists, and naturopaths. The following holistic healers can be found in and around the Historic Hot Springs District:Historic Hot Springs District of Truth or Consequences New Mexico
Doctor Haru Spruce, Doctor Dean Brock, Doctor Gary Sutherland, Shelby Schue, Rebecca Speakes, Janet Perrone, Tania Hernandez, Roger Swanson, Carlos Villatoro, and more people coming more recently whose names I'm just beginning to hear around town. Forgive me if I've forgotten someone. Ramon Herrera is blind, famous, and probably considered to be one of the Old Time Healers, except for the fact that he is still living. There are also at least three large yoga & movement centers all located within the hot springs district. Renowned teachers of cranial-sacral therapy are training people world-wide who come to T or C to learn this wonderful healing art. Integrative Intentions Home Page.

Below are the stories, as I know them, of the Old TIme Healers. Their places of business had hot springs tubs within their walls, and these still exist and are part of the new healing scene in T or C. This post is not meant to demean the way those old guys performed their magic. They were part of the local color in T or C and their stories are golden. This post is meant to be humorous, but I also wish to record the history of this amazing place that used to call itself the city of health before it changed its name to Truth or Consequences.

-- "The Magnificent Magnolia Ellis" (1893-1974) was a magnetic healer who was famous (they say) for diagnosing at a glance and healing with a touch..."and Republicans paid double." Her name still graces the historic building on Broadway where lines of people waited to be healed daily in the fifties and sixties. Her gravesite is in T or C. Her daughter wrote a book about her. Her great-great-granddaughter has a website about her. A historic marker in her honor was raised by the New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative in 2005. Who Was Magnolia Ellis? | Therapeutic MassageMagnolia Ellis, “Magnificent Magnolia” Marker

-- "Dr. Edna White” had a myriad of science fiction machines, probably precursors to today's RIFE machine. She cured people throughout the 50’s and early 60’s while antibiotics were creating super bugs and people were forgot how to relax. LIfe was good and gas was cheap, and the freeway bypassed the town, somewhat curtailing the era of the city of health.

-- "Doctor Dave" (1916-1998) lived just to give another “treatment.” Maurice M. Davis, better known as Doctor Dave, moved here from Texas because a doctor told him was going to die of TB. He fasted for 28 days and became a raw-foodist. He ate out of his garden that was replete with roses and good food. He learned massage from Dr. Neville (of the well known Royce health clinic) which consisted of "cloven-hooved" acupuncture and "massage with a giant sander," not just Black & Decker. If you were really adventuresome you went all the way to the back room where you could have a high colonic guaranteed to clean up even a Santa Fe politician. Dr. Dave would take the inserts from his shoes if they could help a patient. (He did that for me.) Generous to a fault, he at one time owned three of the main hot springs bathhouses in town, and he died penniless, possibly because he took care of every misfit in town.

-- "Mister Collins, Healer" didn't like to be called a doctor. Nobody ever walked out of Mister Harold Collins’ office with one leg shorter than the other. For $5 per treatment, he straightened your spine, took out your knots, and performed a grapevine stretch that rivaled something akin to "clotheslining."Professional wrestling attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Fixing that old "cuboid bone" was another of his specialties.Cuboid Syndrome. The "Healer" sign outside his clinic was placed there when the state decided he needed a license to do any healing art that required touch. Massage, chiropractic, you name it...he did it. The state said "no way," but for some reason healing did not require a license, so up went the "Healer" sign.

-- "Ivan Scheier, PhD" was a Reiki master. He taught his art for many years until his passing over, and was revered by holistic healers nationally. He was also a master of volunteerism. Free News, Magazines, Newspapers, Journals, Reference Articles and Classic Books - Free Online Library (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ivan+Scheier+dies%3a+was+a+pioneer+in+volunteer+ma nagement.-a0189871287http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?st=xl&ac=qr&src=dir&author=Ivan%20H.%20Scheier - broken link)

Please tell your story if you remember the Old TIme Healers. We loved them passionately, as they did all their patients. And if you know the New Healers, let us know that also, because they are currently the heart of the city of health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 PM

10 posts, read 15,564 times
I clicked on this forum post because its title caught my eye. I am a Reiki Master Teacher, writer, interfaith minister, and published Tarot Card designer and reader. I'm currently trapped in Pennsylvania, but I am researching moving out west and am planning to relocate by Labor Day of this year. I was in New Mexico in 2009 and immediately felt, not just "at home," but called somehow to the southwest. I've been debating for some time now between Arizona and New Mexico but something just made me pull T or C up tonight and I found this post. I'm just beginning to look at all of the wealth of information I will need to know for my move, but any information that anyone would care to share would be welcome.... Blessings!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM

4,157 posts, read 6,476,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaWicce View Post
I clicked on this forum post because its title caught my eye.
By far the greatest number of holistic enterprises are located in the Santa Fe area.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 AM

9,042 posts, read 17,301,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
By far the greatest number of holistic enterprises are located in the Santa Fe area.

True, same with Sedona. However they are both very established and expensive where as T or C has a budding holistic health scene that's more affordable and has small town charm without too many touristy crowds. T or C also has several hot springs spas that are very affordable and a warmer & milder climate than Northern NM which adds to it's appeal. It will be interesting to see how it develops in years to come.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:31 PM

206 posts, read 422,201 times
I wonder if any of these so-called healers has a medical degree? Science has come a long way in the last 100 years,why put your life in the hands of some wacko?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:46 PM

9,042 posts, read 17,301,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
I wonder if any of these so-called healers has a medical degree? Science has come a long way in the last 100 years,why put your life in the hands of some wacko?
There are plenty of Dr. Quacks out there with medical degrees that are only concerned with pushing pills then pushing you out the door that I would not want to put my life in the hands of. Not to mention holistic health has scientific relevance. Just because it may not seem conventional or mainstream doesn't mean it's irrelevant. My father suffers from a disease of the liver yet takes very good care of himself using holistic health practices. Many people genuinely get beneficial results from holoistic health, though it's so easy for an everyday skeptic to dismiss it as anecdotal, they really don't have a clue what it's like to be in that persons shoes so in essence that don't really know. In the holistic health field there are good and bad practitioners just as there are good and bad ones in the medical field. Maybe you ought to learn something about it before you knock it with a cliche dismissal line.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 08-18-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
Just because you do not understand the detailes physics of a treatment method does not mean it is does not work. The treatment may well being relief as Reiki does with some of my joint pain even if I do not understand why. The lack of unnderstanding is my problem not the practitioner's.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:40 PM

24,126 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
The Mayo Clinic has several Medical Doctors who in addition to traditional Western medicine are involved in Integrative and holistic medicine.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:14 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,845,135 times
Quote:
I understand this is your opinion but you need to take your head out of the sand and wake up. Just because someone has a medical degree, doesn't make them the perfect doctor. Yes, there are some wackos out there both with medical degrees and those without but you need to do your homework and ask what other people think of them and then go decide for yourself.

One can also be a healer without a medical degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico