U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,397,564 times
Default La Luz Pottery now historic site...

Here's a recent article in the Las Cruces Sun News about the new addition to the state's historical sites:

LA LUZ POTTERY

Yesterday I took a couple of photos of the property. The taller structure in the one photo is the chimney of the still-standing kiln(s). I didn't try to access the property and saw no evidence of activity around the old buildings.

I also might mention that the former rough graveled road from La Luz to High Rolls that follows Fresnal Canyon is now paved all the way and affords a different scenic route between those two points. There was good flow in the creek about midway up the canyon, reduced to a trickle at the La Luz end. In the hour I was in the vicinity I did not see another vehicle on the Fresnal Canyon road. In the photo of the canyon road, looking SE, I've added an arrow pointing to US-82 that is the usual route from Alamogordo to High Rolls/Cloudcroft.

I've attached a map, along with photos, showing the location of the pottery since it is not in the village of La Luz but rather sits in the foothills above (to the east).

I tossed in a photo of a property that had a 'for sale' sign on it. The house sits atop a ridge with a fantastic view (note the viewing tower) out over the Tularosa Basin and White Sands.

Last edited by joqua; 09-15-2012 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 AM

33,394 posts, read 28,007,444 times
Thanks. Too many places, too little time.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM

392 posts, read 560,169 times
Thanks. Sounds like a great drive.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 AM

131 posts, read 250,635 times
I though I saw the Pottery Works (I don't believe it had anything to do with the house pictured here) listed for sale within the past year. It's nice to hear that the history will be preserved.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,397,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Saint View Post
I though I saw the Pottery Works (I don't believe it had anything to do with the house pictured here)...
Because there are threads in this forum that address availability of housing in that region I thought I'd toss in some photos showing what that particular area looks like. There is a LOT of property that can be acquired along that elevation, but lack of water and steepness are deterrents, for sure.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM

7,088 posts, read 11,715,159 times
Beautiful pictures. Love the scenery.
I like La Luz. Just a bit too hot for me in the summer though.

It's a good place if one has horses and other farm animals to live. Lots of horse property.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 AM

17,140 posts, read 17,839,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Here's a recent article in the Las Cruces Sun News about the new addition to the state's historical sites:

LA LUZ POTTERY
They don't keep their articles very long...

Quote:
Thank you for visiting Las Cruces Sun-News. We are sorry the article that you requested is no longer available. Please search for this article in our archive search. (Fee Based)

Historic La Luz pottery site becomes a public trust
Alamogordo Daily News
By Joan E. Price, For the Daily News
Posted: 04/28/2012

"Nowhere in the United States is a regional architecture more evident than in New Mexico and surrounding states. It's where elements of Pueblo Revival, Spanish colonial and Mission architectural techniques continue to find expression in contemporary homes, as well as public structures. "
Entire Article: Historic La Luz pottery site becomes a public trust - Alamogordo Daily News

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

October 2014 "Theme" Contest
October 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico