Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 PM

69 posts, read 143,886 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all the forums to learn about the areas, but my husband has an opportunity for a job that he will have to commute daily to Orogrande. I see its in the middle of nowhere, and our options for where to live are Chapparrel (too small!), El Paso (too huge and doesn't look safe enough), Alamogordo or Las Cruces. I was told that since we are retired Military, that if we lived in LC, we could get to Orogrande by going 70E, to the 213 through the base and it be as short a distance as going from Alamogordo. Has anyone here ever made that drive? Mapquest won't allow me to check mileage and I am torn right now. We won't be making final decisions I am sure until we get there, but having an idea would be helpful! I am a stickler for research and organizing as much as I can in advance!! Call it being "well trained" from 20 years of military transfers with 4 children... usually solo as the hubby usually was deployed! Lol I have read all prior posts, but most seem very old regarding homes and such. I have been looking at rentals in the area and found several that look nice online, but we all know how pictures are not the same as in person. So, if anyone knows of a 3-4 bedroom home for rent, feel free to pass along info. We do have 2 miniature doxies (2 & 3 yrs) and a cat (6 yrs) we have had them all since newborn and can NOT give up our babies. They are all spoiled and trained. We have 2 teen daughters and I see the scores at Alamogordo High are good, which is good to see. Also if we were to live in LC, we would live in Onate School District to have us close to the 70. We live in a small town in GA now that has about 10,000 people... I don't want that small again. But I will be fine with the size of Alamogordo and with having a base there, that makes my day!!! I miss being near a base and while we are retired Navy, I love the environment and people no matter the branch!! They all do the same thing.... support and protect!! Thanks anyone for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM

Clarification.... I am not "putting down" El Paso, just now that I'm older, not into super huge city and the crime data is important, especially when you have teen daughters driving alone. I was brave and no worries when they were a little. But now with both my boys moved off in the military themselves, I worry more about the girls! Lol I had just gone back and read what I wrote originally and wanted to make sure I didn't hurt any feelings!!
As for what activities are important for us. Outdoors, walkability is a huge factor and as far as Alamo my girls will be sooo excited to see a huge library!!! (Took my kids to library here in our town when we first moved here and they literally cried because they have more of a library at home than the "city library") They love the Kindle, but as our family says, can't take away the feel of a PAPER book!! They would be happy spending every waking minute there if they could! Lol But other than library, we like outdoor things, walking the dogs (yes saw the Bark Park too), museums, history. Girls like bowling, movie occasionally, but we tend to do Family movie nights at home together which we all love! Also, job market for teen jobs is something I would love info on. My oldest daughter works at a fast food restaurant and has been at the same "first job" for over 1 1/2 years.... so she will request a transfer to at least have a job until she can search for anything else full time since ahe graduates high school in 2 weeks! But my other daughter will be in search of her first job.

As for me? I love my photography and embroidery!! I don't drive currently, so being in walking area, with sidewalks, and close to anything or bus routes is good for me to not be "stuck" unless someone is home like it is here where we live now!
Thanks again for any advice!!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC143 View Post
El Paso (too huge and doesn't look safe enough),
Quote:
Clarification.... I am not "putting down" El Paso, just now that I'm older, not into super huge city and the crime data is important,
Have you ever been to El Paso?

There are some nice areas (But alas, I have not been in many years and my wife does not want to move again)

Look at the crime statistics for El Paso... From this article The El Paso Miracle - Reason.com "El Paso is among the safest big cities in America" But you might want to research it from your own research.

Rich

Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Rich, no I have never been there. But as I did state, not just crime stats, I want smaller than a city the size of El Paso. We have lived in some large cities (San Diego, Norfolk, VA Beach etc..) and we just don't want a city that large at this time. To visit is nice, but living we prefer not unless we were on outskirts.

Thanks!!

Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
IMO, Las Cruces is the worst option for commuting to Orogrande. I have no idea what the desert roads through White Sands Missile Range are like, but they can't possibly be as fast and safe as the 4-laned highways connecting Alamogordo/El Paso and Alamogordo/Las Cruces.

The northeast side of El Paso has hundreds (no exaggeration) of new homes and more being built at the moment in several new subdivisions. These are right up against the NM/TX state line. Plenty of nearby shopping and good NEW schools.

I would not recommend Chaparral to ANYONE - even someone I had no liking for! It is NOT an incorporated community and is virtually lawless, depending on the Dona Ana sheriff to cover any problems - of which there are a multitude.

If I were having to commute to Orogrande, I would look first at El Paso and then the southwest side of Alamogordo where there is also some new housing under construction - but much less nice than NE EL Paso.

As for El Paso safety, it is every bit as safe as either Las Cruces or Alamogordo, and may even see less crime on a per-capita basis.

Last edited by joqua; 05-16-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I was told that since we are retired Military, that if we lived in LC, we could get to Orogrande by going 70E, to the 213 through the base and it be as short a distance as going from Alamogordo.

Mapquest won't allow me to check mileage and I am torn right now.
Some roads are closed while firing certain systems... Here is the official notice:
WSMR Road Block Schedule
Quote:
WSMR Road Block Schedule

Visitors to White Sands:
The missile range often sets roadblocks on public roads such as U.S. Highways 70, 54 and 380. The Highway 70 blocks are set at various points between White Sands National Monument and San Augustin Pass. The Highway 380 blocks are set east of the Rio Grande and west of Carrizozo. The Highway 54 blocks are set south of Oro Grande, N.M. and north of the N.M. and Tex. state line.
To access the latest roadblock information, call the phone number below. The information is usually updated each weekday in the afternoon for the following day. Since the actual firings can slide due to any number of circumstances like weather or equipment problems, travelers should also check the recording right before leaving to ensure nothing has changed.
(575) 678-1178
Distances from Orogrande, NM to:

Las Cruces, NM 72 miles
Alamogordo, NM 37 miles
El Paso, TX 52 miles
Google maps might do the short cuts: Orogrande, NM to Las Cruces, NM - Google Maps But I could not. Better check with someone who actually does the route other than, well...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-26-2012 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Joqua thank you for that information. I will do searches to see if its doable for us in the NE area as well as research schools. I just am preferring to stay out of big city.

Rich thank you very much for that information and link. That could be a huge complication if they closed and made him late for work!!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Joqua thank you for that information. I will do searches to see if its doable for us in the NE area as well as research schools. I just am preferring to stay out of big city. From either location, the distance to Orogrande is the same: ~30 miles. (When using Google maps, the distances will be longer since they use a point in mid-town in each case)
I referred to the new subdivisions in El Paso being on the NM/TX state line, which means they are on the outer perimeter of the city - not "in it." Very easy access to US-54 from any of those new subdivisions. Same can be said of Alamogordo's south side - a lot of the newer houses are not in the city limits with equally easy access to US-54.

I've never heard of roadblocks on US-54 but that doesn't mean they can't happen. US-70, OTOH, is more likely to see hour-long holdups at times. Coming from El Paso to Orogrande there is nothing to stop for - nary a stop sign. Returning to Alamogordo, one has to stop at the Border Patrol check point every time. Not usually a big delay, but can get annoying on a daily basis I imagine.

I've not discovered what is going on of late on the military reservation on either side of US-54, but there has been a LOT of heavy earth moving machinery out in the desert, especially toward the White Sands Missile Range headquarters area. Could be they're building new roads, or possibly cleaning up un-exploded ordinance, which the desert is "literally" littered with after decades of military exercises.

Last edited by joqua; 05-17-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Short cut thru military reservation...

Just a word about the short cut through the military reservation and White Sands Missile Range headquarters.

With permission from guards at a checkpoint off of US-70, the public is allowed access to the museum area at the headquarters. There is a interchange on US-70 with signage for the missile museum.

From the headquarters area to Orogrande, WSMR-route 2 would be the only viable route and the attached screen capture shows the check point one has to pass through at the Orogrande end, located about 5 miles west of US-54. I feel sure one needs to have a permit to pass that point when entering from the east, but I'm not certain. I've never tried it. The route is paved all the way, but how well maintained? It is a 2-lane road, in any event.

IF a person were allowed to traverse the military reservation on a daily basis, it would definitely cut a LOT of distance on the Las Cruces - Orogrande trip, but it's still ~50 miles vs ~30 from either El Paso or Alamogordo.

Last edited by joqua; 09-15-2012 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I've not discovered what is going on of late on the military reservation on either side of US-54, but there has been a LOT of heavy earth moving machinery out in the desert, especially toward the White Sands Missile Range headquarters area. Could be they're building new roads, or possibly cleaning up un-exploded ordinance, which the desert is "literally" littered with after decades of military exercises.
No, nothing as earth-shattering (pun intended) or exciting as UXO (Unexploded Ordnance).

The U.S. Army's largest Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Array Project. Over 40 acres plus and a PV Carport at the HQ Bldg... It should all be finished this year.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico