U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM

391 posts, read 577,507 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Capitan! I'm just north a few miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 05:17 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,024,223 times
Thanks! Maybe we can meet.

Just returned from the horse races. I like horse racing but it's boring to wait between races.

Also went to Family Dollar here and struck up a conversation with 3 ladies. One invited me to Christ Community Church here. It's non denominational and I might show up tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:11 AM

185 posts, read 274,097 times
Wink Coffee forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I'm wondering if you're referring to the one in 'zozo that was begun by Joe and Carla Organist and called 'zozo Joe's' by most locals? Not to say there isn't one in Capitan too, and I'm not familiar with it.
Hi Joqua,

No, that one was taken over years ago by Loretta and called La Brewja. She closed that down a few months ago. And I miss that one.

No, this is one just off 380 and Meechem (sorry don't remember the road number) as you come in from Ruidoso on the right. She used to have a trailer she'd move around, but now has a permanent shop-at least it was last time I went to Mercantile for feed. (Hey haven't been back for a while and to afford living in Alto you have to work elsewhere-and in my case it's China). My wife loves her and her place-is it Calamity Jane's, or am I thinking about the place that used to be close to the high school before it closed down?

Guys, sorry my memory is so bad here, but as I only get the privilege of being back in the clean air and the mountains a limited time of the year, my details are not so great. Let it suffice to say I really envy you guys who can live there year round, and I hope you don't mind me throwing my 2cents in there from time to time. Certainly not an expert on the area, but thanks to all your help it makes me think of home, sitting on the deck with our black lab watching the sunset over SB, etc. Please forgive my ramblings (but as you can tell I miss home..

Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 AM

2,651 posts, read 2,621,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
No, this is one just off 380 and Meechem (sorry don't remember the road number) as you come in from Ruidoso on the right.
NM-48. I usually pay little attention to these businesses unless I'm specifically looking for them. I do patronize Chango's when the owner is the one actually doing the chef work - it's also at the same intersection (US-380/NM-48). His stuff is expensive being that he's a true artisan/artist with both food and in other art forms.

And like elsewhere in the area, Capitan has seen a number of eateries come and go in recent years.

Quote:
...La Brewja. She closed that down a few months ago.
I tried going there with a friend not long ago and it wasn't open - and that was a Saturday. You may also know that the old standby OUTPOST closed down about a year ago when the owners finally gave up the ghost. Carrizozo, as I'm sure you know, has suffered worse than some other small communities (IMO) since the bubble burst.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:44 PM

I don't see it as rambling. I see it as you expressing yourself for the clean air and mountains. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
Hi Joqua,

No, that one was taken over years ago by Loretta and called La Brewja. She closed that down a few months ago. And I miss that one.

No, this is one just off 380 and Meechem (sorry don't remember the road number) as you come in from Ruidoso on the right. She used to have a trailer she'd move around, but now has a permanent shop-at least it was last time I went to Mercantile for feed. (Hey haven't been back for a while and to afford living in Alto you have to work elsewhere-and in my case it's China). My wife loves her and her place-is it Calamity Jane's, or am I thinking about the place that used to be close to the high school before it closed down?

Guys, sorry my memory is so bad here, but as I only get the privilege of being back in the clean air and the mountains a limited time of the year, my details are not so great. Let it suffice to say I really envy you guys who can live there year round, and I hope you don't mind me throwing my 2cents in there from time to time. Certainly not an expert on the area, but thanks to all your help it makes me think of home, sitting on the deck with our black lab watching the sunset over SB, etc. Please forgive my ramblings (but as you can tell I miss home..

Old 05-27-2012, 03:48 PM

I went to the Christ Community Church this morning and even though it's a bit different than what I've been used to going to, (went to the Baptist church in Timberon) I met some nice people and the pastor preached a good sermon. It was non denomenational so that's a huge difference from the Baptist church. Good way to meet people, do something good for the community. I'll probably go back but I'll check out a few other churches in the area too.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 PM

2,651 posts, read 2,621,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
It was non denomenational so that's a huge difference from the Baptist church. I'll probably go back but I'll check out a few other churches in the area too.
I don't know if you would want to travel to Alto or not but "Church Out of Church" (non-denominational) meets at the Flying J Ranch (weekend entertainment venue). I know several people who have been going there since it first began and seem to like it.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Yep, thanks. That was one of the ones on my list to check out. It's only 10-15 minutes from my house.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Little Bear fire update.....

Fire Information- Little Bear Fire 6/9/12 AM UpdateFor Immediate Release: Fire Information 575-361-3404 and 575-937-0883
Saturday June 9, 2012 PIOs Joel Arnwine and Dusty Romero
Started: June 4, 2012 Cause: Lightning
Containment:0 percent Location: White Mountain Wilderness above Bonito Lake
Fuel Type: Mix Conifer Terrain: Steep and Rugged

The Pecos Zone Type III Incident Management Team (Northcott IC) took over management of the Little Bear Fire on Saturday June 9, 2012 at 6:00 a.m. The Little Bear Incident Command Post is currently set up at the Smokey Bear Ranger District Office.

Current Size: Estimated at 10,000 acres The fire will be mapped today by GPS and a more accurate estimate of size will be provided in this evenings update.

Summary: The fire is actively burning in steep, rocky, inaccessible terrain in the White Mountain Wilderness of the Lincoln National Forest. The fire has been actively suppressed since it was detected on Monday June 4th. Due to the difficult steep and rugged terrain it has been difficult to access the fire.
Fire personnel are using both direct and indirect suppression tactics to contain the fire and keep it from moving further north northeast and southwest. Extreme fire activity was observed on the entire fire perimeter late last night.

Evacuations:All campgrounds West of Bonito Lake, Villa Madonna Subdivision, Enchanted Forest, Nogal Canyon (Forest Road 400), Eagle Lakes Campground, Eagle Creek Summer Homes, Ski Run Road at Mile Marker 3, State Highway 532, Highway 48 to Capitan, Highway 37 to Highway 380 and Ski Apache. Shelters for evacuees have been set up at First Baptist Church on Country Club, Community Methodist Church, Senior Center at Ruidoso Downs, Church of Christ on Sudderth and Trinity Baptist Church in Capitan.

Fire Behavior: Active fire behavior with flame lengths of 150 feet were observant over night. Red flag conditions in effect today.

Resources: Resources from the Forest Service, Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), New Mexico State Forestry, Lincoln County Volunteer Fire Departments and Ruidoso Downs Fire and area volunteer departments have responded. Currently ordered 9-T1 hand crews, 36-Engines, 3 Helicopters, 7-water tenders, 2 air tankers with an additional 3 on order and will be available through out the day. Approximately 350 personnel are expected to be on the fire tomorrow.

Structures Threatened: There have been some structures lost but crews hope to complete damage assessment later today.
Closures:The following roads have been closed due to extreme fire activity: State Highway 532, Ski Run Road at Mile Marker 3, State Highway 48 to Capitan, Highway 37 to Highway 380

Smoke from the fire is impacting the community of Ruidoso and surrounding areas so please take precautions if you have any health or breathing issues.
###

Situation: The fire is burning in the Lincoln National Forest NW of Ski Apache. The fire has crossed NM Hwy 48. An estimated 15-20 structures have been damaged or destroyed, however officials have not had an opportunity do conduct a formal damage assessment. The primary goal today is to establish an anchor point to work from. A Type I Incident Management Team (Joe Reinarz, IC) has been ordered and will be arriving today.

EVACUATIONS:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico