U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,424,995 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will going to stay in Carlsbad for 2 nights to go to Guadalupe Mountains National Park in early june with my grandparents.I am from Texas. What are some good hotels to stay in? I stayed in the Best Western Stevens Inn in 2007, and I enjoyed it. However, that hotel may have gone down hill since then. Are there any good places to eat besides Furr's, McDonald's, and Chilli's.I am 21 so I would prefer some place that served alcohol.Thanks in advance.
-Westerntraveler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 PM

13,241 posts, read 12,468,954 times
I envy Ya!!

Was through there a year ago last March, to me a great time to visit. Been there several times. And at that time the temps were in the mid 70's.

A few mom and pop places you might try is Red Chimney BBQ on north Canal, the No Whiner Diner on South Canal, and Lucy's on South Canal (good Mexican food!) Canal street is U.S.285, the main drag.

If you've never been, you'll love Carlsbad Caverns, it's one of the top 5 National Parks-period! Just an amazing place.

I'll get back to ya on motels, I've heard the energy companies have been busy in the area.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,424,995 times
Ive been to the Carlsbad Caverns 3 times..okay thanks sounds good

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,558,165 times
Danny's BBQ does not serve alcohol, but it has not deterred me from dining there previously. One of two or three best bbq joints I've ever been to. Each time I buy their sauce to go.

Welcome to Danny's Barbecue

Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM

A good friend of mine a bit ago advised me that yes, there is quite a bit oilfield work not far from town and the motels are doing a brisk (as in money) business. There is quite a bit of road construction out there too. I checked prices on Motel 6, Super 8, Best Value Inn and Days Inn and they've increased prices probably 20%. But those motels I prefer when I do stay overnight as they are a ways south of town on 62/180 aka National Parks Highway. I've never stayed at BW Stevens Inn, IIRC they are on the main drag.

Mike0421 has a good suggestion here in Danny's. It's across the street from the old Furr's Cafeteria (Furr's closed some time ago). A couple other suggestions would be Pecos River Cafe (breakfast and lunch only). There is an International House of Pancakes by Walmart. A couple other places of note that have good mexican food are Mi Casita and Larez's restaurant. One place that is fairly upscale that my friend suggested is the Stock Exchange. As you know, a fair amount of mom and pop restaurants close on Sunday. This one is only open Thursday through Sunday, kind of an interesting twist here! I wasn't aware of the place but it has great food though.

Hopefully a few other NM posters will chime in here with suggestions.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-22-2012 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Bringing this thread up to date. Ozkorpyon, this is the thread I'm referring to here. The thread started just a few weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico