U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-31-2012, 02:10 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,083,402 times
It is scary- it took Las Conchas a long time to get that size last summer. We just went to our cabin on the high road to cut more trees, drag more brush, but living next to national forest it's a constant concern.

Stay safe, everyone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 PM

5,602 posts, read 6,439,828 times
Quote:
I'm watching the news for wind changes but am surprised at the minimal coverage.
Wildfires usually don't get much coverage (even locally) unless they start to destroy structures, or put structures at risk. Fortunately, this particular fire hasn't done much of that so far.

Unfortunately, other fires might not follow that pattern. This might be a long, hot summer...

Old 05-31-2012, 05:46 PM

13,107 posts, read 11,926,945 times
It sure will tablemtn, in my area we are close to shutting one down about two hours away from me.

When I got online yesterday the first picture I got was USA Today's homepage. And it showed the mountain top just literally blowing its top!

I just got through watching NBC News and the figures for this fire are pretty sobering to say the least:

over 190,000 acres burned (just over 300 square miles)
only 5% containment
1200 fire fighters involved
5% humidity

And is classified as the largest fire in state history. So far only a dozen cabins with several outbuildings have gone down.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 PM

17,138 posts, read 17,839,317 times
Coverage throughout New Mexico: NM Fire Info | New Mexico Fire Information

Recent Youtube uploads:

Dealing with the Wildfire - YouTube

Skyranger shows fire has room to grow - YouTube

Gila National Forest Wildfire - YouTube

Forest Fire Becomes New Mexico's Largest Ever - YouTube

Rich

Photo Contests Open For Posting Entries:

October 2014 "Theme" Contest
October 2014 "Show Us Your Best Shot" Contest

Old 06-03-2012, 02:47 PM

47,586 posts, read 34,395,844 times
With this long dragged out drought, it's not really any surprise. I think in most cases, forest fires are just part of nature's way to clean up the forests and that dangerous chemicals do more destruction to the environment than a fire does.

The smoke is in El Paso but I don't think it's bothering anyone much - just making things hazy.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM

33,391 posts, read 28,007,444 times
Ground fires do "clean up" the forest but these crown fires destroy the forest. The first lead to a “natural” Ponderosa Pine landscape with widely spaced huge trees with a grass/pine needle ground cover between the trees. This is maintained by low grass fires every couple of years. The tragic fires happen when the ground clutter, assisted by drought, burns hot and high enough to set the big trees on fire. That is a disaster.

Cleaning out the undergrowth can reduce the incidence of crown fires but, unless done by set fires at short intervals, requires expensive hand a small machine clearing. The Forest Service does not seem to have the money for either but somehow has the money to fight these major disasters. I see it a “penny wise and dollar foolish”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico