Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:06 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
why? Raccoons are certainly not an endangered specie. At least in the Pawnee Nation we see a dead one every couple of miles.

You re right. Not all agencies kill when the cameras are turned off. But like I said early on, where I live, if a copper head or moccasin or rattler is close to the house they are removed.....permanently. And despite the presumed "relocation" people someone seems to think exist everywhere, in my part of the country we have no animal control, the fire department is all volunteer and at work, and the Sheriffs dept is busy with speeders and meth labs.

And if people don't want to be teased and ridiculed, they need to not tease or ridicule. If you notice, I have not ridiculed or teased you. You express your opinions really well, you share your knowledge which is appreciated, and all of us, even the most bloodthirsty, live close to the land and we appreciate the animal rescue efforts you make. My partner was involved in the animal rescue effort for years. She was a program director of emergency rescue for an animal rescue group (International Fund for Animal Welfare or the IFAW). She spent 13 years on emergency animal rescue projects like Hurricane Andrew in Homestead Florida, the Kobe Japan earthquake, the wildfires in the Galapagos, and the Exxon Valdez. She flew high profile VIPS onto the ice in Nova Scotia during the seal hunts. So we are well aware of what is involved in animal rescue and appreciate your efforts.

What is not appreciated is some clown coming into our backyard telling us how we need to deal with those animals that pose a threat to our children, our grandchildren, our pets, and our livestock......all while telling us we would "fill your depends" if we were faced with a centipede or rattler......when we have been dealing with them since we wore short pants.

So while you and Steve may have many of the same perspectives on many things, you are not "on the same side." You are on the side of education and meaningful discussion.....he seems to be on the side of acrimony and insults. And the difference is significant.
I appreciate your appreciation. I guess when it comes to learning, whether it is useless knowledge or more than that..I'm like a sponge. I am constantly listening to what is going on around me...from what my collegues have learned to things going on in the news. And when someone says "I wonder if...." I can't stop looking until I've got an answer for them. I guess sometimes I made a not so good assumption that everyone cares about my work and things like it... although I am often proved wrong... as this thread as showed me. *laughs*

As for the baby raccoon... my point was that there are some agencies that will go out of their way to save the animal and have it properly cared for and released. Furthermore, in that region of the US, incidents of rabies is crazy high compared to the little to no rabies we have here in NM. This idea also made their willingness to transport that much more appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
the subject of brown recluses is an interesting one.

first of all, Loxosceles reclusa - 'fiddlebacks,' as okies like to call them - are not commonly found in new mexico in the way that black widows are. i've lived in farmington, albuquerque, and las vegas, and never seen one there. and trust me - i looked. extensively. i even requested that people bring them to me for identification. i looked at over 60 individual specimens in las vegas, and not a single l. reclusa among them. in fact, i have yet to find a single documented case of a brown recluse being found in new mexico. prove me wrong if you can.

after spending 7 years in central oklahoma, and learning to positively identify them, i realized this: they are everywhere in that area.

three examples. one- my friend plops her backpack down on the lab bench that i happen to be working on. out of the corner of my eye i see movement. a spider. no biggie, right?
so i go to catch it, and - viola - a brown recluse. i kept it alive for over two years in a petri dish on a diet of nothing but fruit flies.

two- i go to check my mail at the university one morning. a spider is one the wall, right next to a secretary's desk. guess who?

three- considering i was but a slovenly graduate student at the time, it's not surprising that i was neither a particularly thorough housekeeper, nor terribly concerned about spiders. so the small house i was renting hosted a considerable number of them, in all varieties. it wasn't until i had been living amongst them for some time that i realized that a goodly number were brown recluses.

four - yeah, i know i said three earlier.. in 1998 i put on some dress pants that had been hanging in the closet for at least 2 years. i despise dressing up more than almost anything, but doing so was a prerequisite to getting a free standby flight on mesa air. while waiting for my ride in albuquerque, i noticed a pronounced itching on my right shin. i had a knot down there the size of a halved ping-pong ball, and boy did it itch. i should have taken a picture, but i figured i was in for much worse.

to this day i can't prove it was a brown recluse, but i figure the chances are at least fair that it was. in any event, both the itching and swelling subsided in 24 hours, with no harm done.

now, i do realize that some people do have severe reactions, and i don't really blame people for killing them on sight. i worked with a woman who had to deal with some very painful tissue debridement on her forearm due to a fiddleback bite. the problem is that people rarely know how to identify them, and kill every spider they see, just to be sure.

but think about this: a state like oklahoma is literally crawling with these spiders, yet actual documented bites are pretty darned rare. why? well, because these critters would rather do just about anything except bite you. think about it: they bite you - you notice - they get squashed. not a very good scenario for continuing the species from the spider's scenario, right? so just about the only times people are bitten occur when the spider is pinched between an article of clothing and someone's skin.

a great website by a true expert in the field of brown recluses - he refers to them as 'the richard jewell of the spider world,' which is hilarously appropriate - can be found here. the poor guy has been run ragged by hundreds of people insisting that the state of california has been overrun by brown recluses.
a snippet:
Quote:
These are not the opinions of the University of California Riverside however, they are the opinions of a highly volatile arachnologist who is bloody tired of everybody claiming that every little mark on their body is the result of a brown recluse bite and who believe with a religious zeal that brown recluses are part of the California spider fauna despite the incredibly overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The tone of this article is purposely crafted to mimic the hyperanxious state of the paranoid public because many of them have trouble listening to boring cold scientific presentations (of which this may still be guilty despite my intentions) when their beliefs are solidly based on erroneous general consensus.

anyway, on to the subject of rattlesnakes. i'm speaking here as someone born and raised in new mexico, who has lived in the state more than half my life, but unfortunately currently find myself in the dreary people's republic of maryland. my dad killed every rattler he saw. i've killed three myself, before i realized that was not the only possible way of dealing with them. i even participated in a couple of rattlesnake roundups in western oklahoma, which i now regret. nowadays, if i find one in an out of the way place, i leave it be. if i find it on my property, or in an inhabited area, i move it.

Last edited by uggabugga; 03-08-2009 at 10:23 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Since the cops are so busy..maybe you'll consider attending the snake handeling/capture/rescue course I mention at the beginning of this thread? Just kidding. I understand.. and as one moves from region to region, it is really interesting to see how the approaches/opinions/care and concern about wildlife changes. It really depends on the priorities of the people.
Uhmmmm no thanks. I have relocated 2 nonvenomous since we have been back in Alamo no problems. When we lived in Carlsbad, my hubby went into the garage in January, my son comes in and tells me to go get a shovel, sure enough there is a rattlesnake in my garage, it is now dead. Like I said I do not go out looking for them to kill but in my garage no go. Thank God it was my hubby who saw it first, in his line of work he has to be aware of his surroundings, had it been one of my kids I doubt very much if they would have been paying attention and I sure would hate for one of my babies to have to deal with that kind of pain and suffering. But thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico