Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 AM

131 posts, read 447,148 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'll be visiting NM again in Oct. This time I hope to buy a little land /home. Last visit was 5yrs. ago and of course prices are up. 3 areas I didn't visit before are on my list Cuba,Pecos and Mora. From what little I can tell they may be within a working mans means. Locations are all in easy reach of cultural and outdoors activities. Any Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
JoeySaint, are you a Native American? If not, Cuba is almost all Native Americans. The land is pretty around there especially as you go over toward Tierra Amarillo or Coyote. Cuba itself is somewhat of a dirty town. There aren't a lot of homes in the area and a lot of them aren't what I would consider nice looking. There is a lot of poverty in Cuba and just looking at it, you'll see that. Pecos is a very pretty area but small so if you are looking for a job, that may be hard to do unless you go into Santa Fe and the winters are usually harder there than in Santa Fe. I don't know much about Mora. If you just want to live in the mountains and in a small town, you might check out Chama. The town isn't that much to look at but the land is beautiful and you are close to Pagosa Springs, Durango or Santa Fe for shopping. There aren't a lot of jobs there either though. Raton is another town that is bigger and is up in and near the mountains. It has desert areas and piney mountains too. It will have more jobs than the others you mentioned. What you might do is go to Pecos first, head over to Santa Fe and up Highway 84 to Chama then over to Highway 64 to Raton. That should give you a good idea of towns in that area.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:08 AM

28 posts, read 371,227 times
I just wanted to give you my insight about Mora, I don't know much about Cuba or Pecos even though I have driven through there a few times. Mora is a relatively small town with a predominantly Hispanic population. Most would agree that outsiders really do stand out there, especially if you happen to be anglo. Even though I do have some anglo friends who grew up there, they will admit that it was hard for them. The town has two gas stations, I believe, and a small grocery store and a few bars, all on the same street. No major stores or restaurants there. Last I knew there were maybe 2 or 3 restaurants there, and even though the food is good, it can get a little old not having more options. Like most small, northern NM towns, politics is a big thing there and if you read the nearby local paper, The Las Vegas Optic, you will see what I mean. On that note, Las Vegas is the nearest "city" where most people do their shopping, medical care, etc., and it has the only Walmart for hundreds of miles around. Mora has very cold winters with lots of snowfall that sometimes close the roads leading out of there. But overall the scenic views are beautiful as it is in a valley surrounded by mountains. I would only advise that there is a pretty high crime rate, some local violence and high drug and alcohol usage, including DWI's.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 14,260 times
Default And your decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Saint View Post
Hi! I'll be visiting NM again in Oct. This time I hope to buy a little land /home. Last visit was 5yrs. ago and of course prices are up. 3 areas I didn't visit before are on my list Cuba,Pecos and Mora. From what little I can tell they may be within a working mans means. Locations are all in easy reach of cultural and outdoors activities. Any Thoughts?
Did you return to Mora? What did you end up doing? We have been looking around and passed through the area. Beautiful senic roads. Not sure if we could adapt to the small town life. Any thoughts appreciated

Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
I've stayed overnight a few times in Cuba as there are several mom and pop motels there. Always ran into friendly people. Yes, it's predominately native, and yes, there is not a lot of money there. There are an awful lot of towns across the Southwest that live simply, though.

One thing that has helped the area is 4 laning 550, formerly known as NM44, as I've seen some ugly wrecks on that stretch. It is higher altitude as the continental divide crosses there north of town.and IT DOES SNOW THERE! A good mexican food restaurant there, name escapes me.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-24-2009 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
Just some info:

Crackerjack has not posted here in well over a year.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
New Mexico Magazine had an article on reviving the wool and weaving trades in Mora. The building can be seen on Google Street View.

This area would be too cold for us in the winter (like southern New Hampshire) but would be a great place to summer.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:28 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,061 times
Default Joey and New Mexico

The Northern New Mexico area is beautiful with its Mountains and Forests and Lakes and Rivers but the people are very protective of their Lands. My Advice to Joey is CUBA and rent to own and explore more of New Mexico from there besides its the area where the Action is anyway. el pintada kid

Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
GregW surmised:

> ... in Mora. ... This area would be too cold for us in the winter
> (like southern New Hampshire)

I would bet that a Mora winter would be much easier to take than
what you have there in Londonderry. There would be much more
sun and daytime highs would generally be higher.

Checking ....

Average Weather for Mora, NM - Temperature and Precipitation

Average Weather for Londonderry, NH - Temperature and Precipitation

Yup. I'm right. Also note that for any given day where it is a high of 30, 30 and sun in Mora
is going to beat 30 and overcast in Londonderry. The temps that day might go down to zero
in Mora and only 15 in Londonderry, but which would be tougher to take for you?

> ... but would be a great place to summer.

You have that right.

Of course, so is Socorro and you seem to have your heart set on that.

Now, if you would just friggin' make a trip out here ...
.... how long has it been now?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Five very long years. Very, very long years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico