U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM

111 posts, read 60,373 times

Advertisements

Just read this, van loads of people being driven into New Mexico from Florida and other States and getting licenses illegally. One of the ringleaders said he was making 30,000.00 per month..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM

175 posts, read 311,467 times
The problem with cutting government workers' salaries (really anyone's salary) is that you allow for corruption to take root. It's a fact of life that most people are self-interested, and putting them in a bind will only enhance that. More budget cuts will make this much worse, but austerity is in vogue now...

Having well paid DMV workers is really only one possible solution. I've worked for low pay - but in an environment where management tries to make the workplace fun & inviting (people bring dogs to work, we have video game tournaments after work, etc). Happy people don't become corrupt.

Of course, the status quo solution is to make it tougher for people to get licenses: more documentation, paper work, fees, etc. Essentially that meas enhancing bureaucracy & increasing the size and scope of government. The outcome of course is that it will make life more difficult for everyone using legal channels, and more profitable (thus more appealing) for those using illegal channels. See the drug war, DRM music & movies and software piracy for more evidence.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:57 PM

753 posts, read 971,874 times
Jamesia, your whole post is simply wrong.

This fraud had absolutely nothing to do with cutting anyone's salary or whether DMV employees are happy in their jobs. There has been no report linking a DMV employee to the ring. In fact, it was an DMV employee that raised the initial concern that led to the bust.

This fraud had absolutely everything to do with someone looking to make a lot of money, or do something substantially worse, who saw that NM's driver's license requirements are seriously lax and, by taking advantage of that fact, one could get a NM license that they can then use elsewhere for residency i.d. That's it.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 PM

185 posts, read 271,071 times
Jamesia, you missed the fundamental problem-giving away licenses to essentially anyone who walks in the door not only makes things more dangerous for the rest of us, but also hurts the credibility of the license as a form of authentic ID. A prime example was a recent trip through an East Coast airport. When showing my license to the TSA officer at security, he asked if I had another form of ID. I had my US passport, so it was OK, but I'd hate to think what would happen to a person who only had a NM license.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 PM
TKO

713 posts, read 1,478,034 times
At least our governor is working hard to see that you have to have one of these licenses to vote. You know, to prevent fraud and all that.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 AM

47,586 posts, read 35,516,431 times
I'm glad. The fraud was very well known, these DMV employees often have an agenda of their own and they would not only go along with fraud but suggest to people they know full well are here illegally what they have to do to commit this fraud.

For example an illegal would show up to get a NM drivers license and the clerks would tell him to find someone to give him a utility bill, and especially try to find someone with a similar name and bring it in to "prove" residency. Obviously they know that the whole reason they are suggesting such a thing is because the applicant does not actually have a utility bill and doesn't live in NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico