Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times

Advertisements

James57: Yes, I like Capitan too. Ruidoso Downs not so much. I wouldn't mind living in the Upper Canyon part of Ruidoso, west of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM

35 posts, read 107,953 times
Dear James:
There may be more rain fall in the canyon than in the valley, but it would only be in compairison. The real estate agent told me that there had been no rain for eight months. I suspect the wells there are fed by water that arrived as snow during the winter at higher altitudes.

Shaddow

Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 PM

35 posts, read 107,953 times
If there is a restriction on modular/prefab houses in Laborcita it would seem that nobody is inforcing it. We have been at our new home for a little over a week and find it to an ideal place. There was a request for information about getting to High Rolls-Mountain Park from someone. I took the trip in a Korean compact car and it was do-able, but aside from the view there was no real advantage going that way. The next time I go to Cloudcroft for a straight out of the oven apple pie at the general store, I will go downhill to La Luz and then cut across to highway 82. If I had to go by the Fresnal canyon road it would more fun this time as we bought an SUV, but it still would take longer.

Shaddow

Old 07-11-2008, 04:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
Thanks for the La Luz reply people. It is definitely quiet and and small. The early
western spanish look is something else. Will be moving out to Laborcita Canyon this Dec.
Time cannot go by quick enough to get there. Ironman.........
I'm going Monday to see properties in Laborcita Canyon, Cloudcroft and High Rolls......! Any of those places will be cooler than Alamo.

But the weather has been fantastic with the rain and low clouds over the Sacramentos...and now it is so blue out there that it hurts the eyes. Hopefully we'll get some more rain tonight and tomorrow.

The views out here are just amazing.....

Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
The next time I go to Cloudcroft for a straight out of the oven apple pie at the general store
Great.....now the next time i'm in Alamo i'll have go up to Cloudcroft and get a fresh hot apple pie....lol....

Old 07-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Cathy4017: Alamo is too hot for you, eh? I was under the impression that you had bought a house there; if so, no problem turning it over?

Cloudcroft might be pretty nippy in winter. Right now, it's 101 degrees here, so being cold sounds wonderful. As I've said before, High Rolls/Mountain Park seems just about perfect climatically.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Cathy4017: Alamo is too hot for you, eh? I was under the impression that you had bought a house there; if so, no problem turning it over?

Cloudcroft might be pretty nippy in winter. Right now, it's 101 degrees here, so being cold sounds wonderful. As I've said before, High Rolls/Mountain Park seems just about perfect climatically.
Alamo is NOT as hot as Midland was, but it's hotter than I like.....and Farmington has been running a close second for daytime highs, with lower temps at night.

When I was tracking temps in Alamo, it wasn't as hot as it has been this summer.

Having said that, the temperatures and rain over this past week have been just absolutely terrfic!!

I did buy a house, and I like my house very much, so I have some decisions to make after I look at CC, HR, MP, Laborcita Canyon, et al.

What I have in mind right now is a very small second place, when I want to get away from the heat. If I find something I like REALLY well, I will consider selling and moving again. There are a lot of pros and cons for both scenarios, so we'll see. I will most likely spend several months researching and looking, too. Selling is an issue, yes, but renting is not an option for me.

It's 88 (which isn't bad), and the humidity is way up at 40% due to the rain.

And....I AIN'T gonna complain about rain. We need MORE.

As for ideal climates, Timberon seems to fit the bill. Their summers are mostly a dream climate to me, yet the winters are (from what I tracked this past winter) relatively temperate for the elevation.

CC, at nearly 9K feet, will be cold in the winter, for sure. I imagine High Rolls and MP are milder because they're at a lower elevation.

There are times when I just want to move to Leadville, CO (10,000 ft) and be done with it....LOL!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:39 PM

Leadville, CO would certainly be cool enough on its warmest days, I would think. It seems to me that much of NM (and trans-Pecos TX) has its warmest times of the year in May and June, unlike the way it is in most other places. It was 102 F today in Ft Worth, so I'm scorched and ready for something cooler for sure.

Timberon's climate is nearly ideal in my opinion, but it's a lot farther from any big towns like Alamo, for shopping and medical care. That's where High Rolls/Mountain Park have the advantage, with a nearly identical climate as far as I can tell.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Leadville, CO would certainly be cool enough on its warmest days, I would think. It seems to me that much of NM (and trans-Pecos TX) has its warmest times of the year in May and June, unlike the way it is in most other places. It was 102 F today in Ft Worth, so I'm scorched and ready for something cooler for sure.

Timberon's climate is nearly ideal in my opinion, but it's a lot farther from any big towns like Alamo, for shopping and medical care. That's where High Rolls/Mountain Park have the advantage, with a nearly identical climate as far as I can tell.
You have my sympathy....Midland got to around 101 yesterday, too, and Alamo topped out at 91. But...last evening up at the Space Center Museum (Tailgate) was dang near perfect.....cool, breezy and cloudy, with a half moon.

Timberon's isolation is the reason I didn't consider it for permanent living, and it's still a far piece of driving even as a second little home....but it tempts me, LOL!!

There are quite a few downsides/upsides to any of the mountain towns, fewer in High Rolls....but HR is relatively expensive, as is Cloudcroft.

As much as I hate hot weather, it's hard to beat the convenience of living in town. That may or may not trump everything.

So, we'll see.

You'll have to come out and look!!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:58 PM

You are certainly right; I do need to 'come out and look'. I've been to Alamo, Cloudcroft and Ruidoso several times, but not recently. I have no memory of High Rolls at all; it may not have been there then. Likewise, Timberon; I'm sure there was no paved road to it then even if it existed. Besides all that, when I was there before, I wasn't actively looking with relocation in mind.

The low temperature here was above 80 F the last two nights. That's the part I really don't like. At least when it gets hot in Alamo, the nights are decently cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico