U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-23-2006, 12:12 PM

44 posts, read 144,037 times
Default Monsoons In New Mexico

I feel very silly asking this question and plz excuse me, b/c I am not informed.....but I was surprised to hear that NM has a monsoon season?! Does this last all summer or just the end of it? I am planning a move to Santa Fe in the spring (alone) and it makes me nervous. I am leaving NC to get AWAY from the nasty storms Ive been thru here and have always loved northern NM.....any input? Sorry if I am out of the loop on the weather conditions there. Ive visited a couple of times and the weather was always glorious....late Aug., Feb. & April......thx for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-23-2006, 05:06 PM

35 posts, read 151,241 times
Default monsoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by phf919 View Post
I feel very silly asking this question and plz excuse me, b/c I am not informed.....but I was surprised to hear that NM has a monsoon season?! Does this last all summer or just the end of it? I am planning a move to Santa Fe in the spring (alone) and it makes me nervous. I am leaving NC to get AWAY from the nasty storms Ive been thru here and have always loved northern NM.....any input? Sorry if I am out of the loop on the weather conditions there. Ive visited a couple of times and the weather was always glorious....late Aug., Feb. & April......thx for your input!
"Monsoon" season just means the rainy time of year. Normally the central NM area gets afternoon thundershowers during the summer, which are usually quite welcome since it's such a dry area. However, this year they are getting hit with spectacularly heavy rainfall, causing flooding in many areas. Old-timers say they can't remember a rainy season this bad. So most of the time the monsoon season is nothing to worry about and in fact is rather pleasant (unless you're afraid of thunder and lightning, as I am).

Unread 08-23-2006, 08:49 PM
_yb

1,135 posts, read 3,140,855 times
The monsoons start around the first part of july and can last until the first part of sept. This year has been really good. It's actually quite nice I don't think we have been over 90 degrees since the rains started.

Unread 08-24-2006, 11:55 AM

I cant wait to leave the humidity and intense heat with that. I am looking fwd to the drier days and cooler nites! But I AM afraid of severe thunder & lightening. It gets baaad here in NC, especially this summer, compared to the last 2. Does Santa Fe get hit with the monsoon rains? I just got back from Korea and they have monsoons......crazy ones. Thx for the info!!

Unread 08-24-2006, 03:20 PM

429 posts, read 1,977,186 times
I heard this quote a while back and applies to most of New Mexico and Arizona. "They only get 7-8 inches a rain a year, unfortunately it all falls in about 45 minutes".

Unread 08-26-2006, 06:53 AM

10,184 posts, read 17,346,281 times
as a relative newcomer to new mexico, i've been surprised by the amount of rain in such a short period of time (july until now) with much damage to property. wonder if it is worse or about the same as previous years?

Unread 08-26-2006, 07:21 AM

7,850 posts, read 10,576,851 times
wonder if it is worse or about the same as previous years?

Just like El Paso, TX.....for New Mexico, this amount of rain in such a short time and the heavy flooding is NOT the norm. This is very unusual.

Residents of NM--correct me if I'm wrong.

Unread 08-26-2006, 09:23 AM
_yb

1,135 posts, read 3,140,855 times
This has been a bad season. I really don't know if I should call it bad because we can always use the rain here.

Unread 08-26-2006, 10:44 AM

7,537 posts, read 9,639,102 times
Technically a monsoon is a Pacific hurricane, and you have to have an ocean for that. NM doesn't.

The thing about NM is that in most parts you either get no rain at all, or it comes in buckets. This season, it seems as if they've been getting buckets, but the locals aren't complaining too much. Crops are great and the area is green rather than its typical dusty brown.

Unread 08-26-2006, 08:30 PM

Thx so much for the info, all. My DH is in Korea right now and no, the monsoons in NM do not compare. However, should I be very concerned about living near the SF river? (like real near?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico