Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I'm really debating my going back to Florida as the cold bothers me more and more every year just like the heat seems to bother you more and more as you have stated.

I realy love Southern NM and the desert and mountains but i can't take anymore winter lows of 18 in the valley and 22 in the heights for six months every year as i did over these years in albuquerque. I'd miss the Creosote's more than anything else as they smell so awesome in the southern desert regions as they don't exist up in albuquerque nor in Florida.

I guess we'll see how i do this winter in Southern NM as it's farther south and lower in elevation than albuquerque. That freak snow storm in albuquerque back in June really had me reaching for the Jack Daniels ....lol....
ABQ had snow in June? How much fun, LOL!!

Alamogordo had some lows last winter in the teens, Harry...I loved the cold....and the really bad heat so far has been in June and most of July. August is starting to moderate. It ISN'T as hot as it was last August 11, 2007, when I got here after closing in Midland. I left there, 90 degrees....only to get to Alamo at 102.

I wilted......

Even EP gets into the teens during the winter, at times, but I'm sure you already know that.

I go out barefoot in the winter to get my paper.....just so I can feel the nice cold concrete. 100% tile floors help, too....LOL!!

If I can ski some years at Ruidoso/Cloudcroft....I'll be a happy camper here in Alamo. I do love the desert and the mountains here....and I love my house (even if I still hate the kitchen, LOL!!)....as I mentioned in the Ruidoso thread, I just really don't like typical mountain construction as well as I do desert stucco/brick, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
ABQ had snow in June? How much fun, LOL!!

Alamogordo had some lows last winter in the teens, Harry...I loved the cold....and the really bad heat so far has been in June and most of July. August is starting to moderate. It ISN'T as hot as it was last August 11, 2007, when I got here after closing in Midland. I left there, 90 degrees....only to get to Alamo at 102.

I wilted......

Even EP gets into the teens during the winter, at times, but I'm sure you already know that.
I know EP and Alamo get cold as heck even north florida gets down into the 30's in jan/feb but it's more of the duration than just cold temps. I don't mind 4 months or so but not 6 or 7 seven months of sweatshirts and jackets every year and that's too bad as i really like mountain city towns like Ruidoso and Flagstaff and states like Montana/Idaho as the scenery is awesome although i really like the NM desert scenery too.

I just think as i get older (lol) i tolerate it less as when i was a kid/teen as then i liked it back in the day. Every morning at 5.00 a.m. when i'd go to the gym during the winter i'd have to scrape off my windshield and warm up the vehicle for 15 min as the heater blows out cold air just didn't cut it for me anymore like when i was younger .

Nothing personal at all as i met great people up there and hope the best for it. Maybe eventually i'll get hired on at a resort hotel in the Virgin Islands where i can wear tank tops and shorts year round and the ladies there well.......

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 08-19-2008 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I know EP and Alamo get cold as heck even north florida gets down into the 30's in jan/feb but it's more of the duration than just cold temps. I don't mind 4 months or so but not 6 or 7 seven months of sweatshirts and jackets every year and that's too bad as i really like mountain city towns like Ruidoso and Flagstaff and states like Montana/Idaho as the scenery is awesome although i really like the NM desert scenery too.

I just think as i get older (lol) i tolerate it less as when i was a kid/teen as then i liked it back in the day. Every morning at 5.00 a.m. when i'd go to the gym during the winter i'd have to scrape off my windshield and warm up the vehicle for 15 min as the heater blows out cold air just didn't cut it for me anymore like when i was younger .

Nothing personel at all as i met great people up there and hope the best for it. Maybe eventually i'll get hired on at a resort hotel in the Virgin Islands where i can wear tank tops and shorts year round and the ladies there well.......
Harry, that sounds PERFECT for you....LOL!!

As for the scraping ice off of windshields....I've had a garage for over 30 years, so it's been awhile since I've done that, LOL! That's another thing about Cloudcroft/Ruidoso....other than fairly recent construction built in the last few years, garages appear to be rare in my price range, so that has been a huge deterrent. I hate leaving my car out, so I won't buy a property w/o a garage...or at a very minimum, a carport.

I guess you are happy to be back in southern NM....it IS such a beautiful place!! As I was coming back from Ruidoso, I was reminded of my first view of Alamogordo (had been as a small child, but no memory) as I was returning from Farmington.

I guess fate had a hand in making me decide to check out Alamogordo. I took an alternate route back to Midland from Farmington just so I could see Alamo.

I had not seriously considered it....a girl I used to work with in Midland used to tell me what a crappy town it was.

Different strokes....! I just remember leaving Carrizozo and the Valley of Fires....(enjoying the scenery the whole way) and hitting Tularosa.....then Alamo....and just drinking in the sheer mountain/desert beauty of the place.

There is nothing like going out to get my paper in the morning...and seeing the Sacramentos. I can't wait for Sierra Blanca (which I can see at the end of the block) to have snow cover once again....!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:

I guess you are happy to be back in southern NM....it IS such a beautiful place!! As I was coming back from Ruidoso, I was reminded of my first view of Alamogordo (had been as a small child, but no memory) as I was returning from Farmington.

I guess fate had a hand in making me decide to check out Alamogordo. I took an alternate route back to Midland from Farmington just so I could see Alamo.

I had not seriously considered it....a girl I used to work with in Midland used to tell me what a crappy town it was.

Different strokes....! I just remember leaving Carrizozo and the Valley of Fires....(enjoying the scenery the whole way) and hitting Tularosa.....then Alamo....and just drinking in the sheer mountain/desert beauty of the place.

There is nothing like going out to get my paper in the morning...and seeing the Sacramentos. I can't wait for Sierra Blanca (which I can see at the end of the block) to have snow cover once again....!
As for the views the Tularosa Basin valley blows away Albuquerque's valley views IMOP. In all fairness Albuquerque's economy is superior to any place in New Mexico and El Paso and Southern Arizona. Need a good job at very good pay then go to Albuquerque as it's booming up there and again i met some great folks up there and i wish the best for it.

But unless you live up on Tramway Blvd when you look across the valley there you see the Sandia's on one side and the west mesa (9 mile hill) to the western horizon and that bothered me as it looked like a straight line all the way across the western horizon...kinda like a North Dakota look to it as its flat all across it.

But in Alamo you have the Sacramento range on one side and look to the west and you see 9,000 foot mountain ranges 60 miles across the basin from Las Cruces going all the way up to Socorro as that is just awesome to see all along the western horizon specially at sunrise/sunset.

Santa Fe also has a nice valley with the Jemez mountains on one side and the Santa Fe mountains on the other.

While Alamo needs some work to tidy it up ....lol.... the Tularosa basin valley just rocks in my opinion .

Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
As for the views the Tularosa Basin valley blows away Albuquerque's valley views IMOP. In all fairness Albuquerque's economy is superior to any place in New Mexico and El Paso and Southern Arizona.

But in Alamo you have the Sacramento range on one side and look to the west and you see 9,000 foot mountain ranges 60 miles across the basin from Las Cruces going all the way up to Socorro as that is just awesome to see all along the western horizon specially at sunrise/sunset.

Santa Fe also has a nice valley with the Jemez mountains on one side and the Santa Fe mountains on the other.

While Alamo needs some work to tidy it up ....lol.... the Tularosa basin valley just rocks in my opinion .
Yep.....there are two places in NM where you can make more money than average in the state.....ABQ and Farmington, from what I could tell. NM overall is a poor state, despite its current oil/gas boom revenues. You can make far more money in TX (especially places like Midland, Dallas, Houston) than you can in NM.

Alamo DOES need work to clean up the crap and the poor streets, but I think we are getting there. I very much agree about the views in the Tularosa basin.

I can be MAD at the world...then take a drive down Scenic....or out to Laborcita Canyon (or any number of other places around here)...and it starts looking better, LOL!!

And....yes to Santa Fe, LOL! I love the place as I knew it in the 1980s, but have only driven through in recent years. I need to pay it another visit soon!!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:

I can be MAD at the world...then take a drive down Scenic....or out to Laborcita Canyon (or any number of other places around here)...and it starts looking better, LOL!!

I don't know if you have a 4x4 Cathy but the drive from La Luz canyon all the way up to Cloudcroft on the rugged dirt road is a blast if you ever get the chance to drive it.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I don't know if you have a 4x4 Cathy but the drive from La Luz canyon all the way up to Cloudcroft on the rugged dirt road is a blast if you ever get the chance to drive it.
Yes, I do have 4x4.....and it even gets decent gas mileage for its size, type and weight.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
O.k., I'm giving up one of my most favorite spots here, but for real scenic New Mexico beauty try hiking to the Trampas Lakes. They sit in a stunning, horseshoe-shaped bowl, with the Jicaralla and Truchas peaks looming over. It is one of the most beautiful spots I have found in the southwest. There are plenty of trout up there, and not many people.
Although I have been in parts of the Carson National forest, this particular hike sounds pretty rugged if you're not used to hiking, which I'm not, LOL!!

But thanks for the tip. The rise in elevation (from a base of 9,000 ft to 11,000)......sounds fantastic, not to mention how cool it must be up there.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Guess I'll throw my opinion in here.
Breakfast? The western in Cloudcroft, Margos, Our Country Kitchen.
Pizza or Subs? Pizza Mill and Sub Factory on 10th across from the Library.
BBQ and Catfish. Spring Mountain between Alamo and Cloudcroft. He will be open again in mid April.
The Western Bar & Grill was really good for lunch; haven't eaten breakfast there yet.

Margo's has been much better recently; ate breakfast there the other morning.

Our Country Kitchen....definitely a very local hangout, and packed. Service was good, but my huevos rancheros arrived cold on a plastic plate. The cheese on top wasn't even beginning to melt. I sent it back to the kitchen for a reheat, and it was not bad after that.

He told me that the red sauce was hotter than the green, but I found it pretty bland. I have discovered that I don't like red chile sauce for breakfast! So if I ever go back, I'll try the green next time.

Bringing food cold to the table is a cardinal sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico