Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 AM

30 posts, read 54,261 times

Advertisements

Guess the title pretty much says it all. I'm in my mid-twenties and have lived in the midwest all my life. While there are great things about the midwest, I want something different. For whatever reason, New Mexico appeals to me. I've never been to New Mexico. Something about the southwest, the mountains, the food, good people, the mix of cultures, the climate, the sunshine, on and on. I'm tired of overcast, depressing winters, and hot, sticky summers. I'm an outdoorsy kind of guy. I love to hunt, fish, and golf. So, I guess the point of the thread is to ask, are my perceptions of the Land of Enchantment correct? What are the some more positives about your state? Negatives (every place has them)? Particularly, Albuquerque and Santa Fe seem to be calling my name. I like medium to large cities, but dislike endless sprawl (which is why I have no desire to move to Phoenix).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,465 times
New Mexico is beautiful...I would love to live there.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:42 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
I think you would like the Las Cruces area.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond_Heights_Fella View Post
...Albuquerque and Santa Fe seem to be calling my name.
Since you've already said you've never been to the state, you would do well to take a trip through the major population centers before making a move. And that includes visiting the SECOND largest city in the state, Las Cruces. It is 2nd largest for a reason (many reasons, actually) and its proximity to the much larger metro area of El Paso is but one factor.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Why does NM appeal to me so much?
I don't know... People have different reasons.

Quote:
For whatever reason, New Mexico appeals to me. I've never been to New Mexico.
You really need to come out.

Quote:
What are the some more positives about your state? Negatives (every place has them)?
We have a variety of 'dislike threads', this appears to be the longest: What do you love/hate about New Mexico?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-11-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,597 times
Here's a few more threads that are focused on the positives:

- 101+ Reasons That I Miss Albuquerque

- That quality of light (Santa Fe, ABQ, Taos)

- Midwest vs Southwest

- New Jerseyans?

These are just a few I picked, largely because they are familiar to me since I contributed to them and/or something in them resonated with me. IMO, if you have a decent job or don't have to otherwise struggle with your living costs, NM is an exceptional place. But it's not for everyone. Come for a vist and see if you want to stay as a resident.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:44 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Guess the title pretty much says it all. I'm in my mid-twenties and have lived in the midwest all my life. While there are great things about the midwest, I want something different. For whatever reason, New Mexico appeals to me. I've never been to New Mexico. Something about the southwest, the mountains, the food, good people, the mix of cultures, the climate, the sunshine, on and on. I'm tired of overcast, depressing winters, and hot, sticky summers. I'm an outdoorsy kind of guy. I love to hunt, fish, and golf. So, I guess the point of the thread is to ask, are my perceptions of the Land of Enchantment correct? What are the some more positives about your state? Negatives (every place has them)? Particularly, Albuquerque and Santa Fe seem to be calling my name. I like medium to large cities, but dislike endless sprawl (which is why I have no desire to move to Phoenix).
I had the same intuitive feelings about New Mexico before I ever set foot in the state. I took a week long vacation in 2011 exploring Las Cruces, T or C, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, & Taos. I was sold and my perceptions had matched my expectations. Now I've been living here for 4 months and I'm very content. The abundant sunshine and quality of light here really do make a big difference in my life, and the food, culture, people, wide open spaces, and scenic beauty of NM along with the whole Southwest make it a wonderful place to live. I've done so many cool roadtrips since being here and many more planned. The Land of Enchantment is aptly named. The biggest thing I notice here everyday are the skies, they're incredible. Come on over and visit!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
It could just be some fantasy -- a fantasy of some magical place that has no problems, abundant high paying jobs to match the sunshine.

However if you are being pulled then you should check it out -- now while you have the chance and aren't settled down with family and kids and mortgage. When you're young, single, and free is the time to explore.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 PM

391 posts, read 906,592 times
Malamute hit it right on the head...come visit, explore, and do it now. Life will only get more complicated as the years go by, and while you're relatively free of attachments, debts, etc. is the perfect time to look at making a move.

So many young people think things will get easier as they get older...have more money, be smarter and more experienced, but in reality when you are young you're in the very easiest and least complicated time of your life. Do some homework first, read about NM and the Southwest, learn some history and some current affairs, read CD threads and New Mexico newspapers before you come.

Come visit, enjoy...stay and live or go back to the midwest, but at least you'll know there was a choice and you made it.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:26 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,803 times
Paraphrasing Horace Greely: Come west, young man.
Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico