Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,069 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to get out of town with some friends for a weekend. I want to get away from the city and just go to the open area. I know Bonito Lake area, I love it, But with the fire, Going there is not going to happen. I want a place by some water that's not too crowded, ( like I dont want to go to elephant Bute)....So some water, By some mountains to have fun in, go extreme off rode biking. Camp overnight, And mabey shoot out shotguns. Just a small place like Bonito Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM

Default Places Like Bonito Lake

I would always go to bonito lake just to have some Fun

just mess around with some friends, camp over night, hike, ride out bikes on extreme roads, take out guns out and shoot a little, Bring our quads.

Now that the fire ruined the place, I want to find somewhere just to get away from city life. Nowhere Crowded like Elephant Bute, But just a small little fun Place. Love to hike, and climb. So anytwhere where we can climb rocks and mountains, thats a bonus

Any Suggestions?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
If a lake is an essential item, that might be tough around here... but there is a huge amount of forest and BLM land where you won't be crowded at all.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
You'll have to make your way over the west part of the state to get anything similar. Bill Evans, Bear Canyon or Snow Lake would all fit the bill. That's the closest you'll find that's similar. Bottomless lakes might be ok though the climate and scenery doesn't compare IMO.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Its Sad that Bonito Is Ruined, I hope it gets back to its original beauty fast!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
My map shows a couple of lakes on the Canadian River near Chonchas and Logan. I have never been there so I have no idea about access or scenery.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Get a New Mexico Atlas from Benchmark Maps. Look for the blue patches. Do the same with Google Maps.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
You're not going to do better or closer than the ones I mentioned in your other thread. You can go north if you want, but it's further and more crowded usually. The Gila is it for southern NM anymore if you want a mountain lake.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 AM

212 posts, read 371,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Get a New Mexico Atlas from Benchmark Maps. Look for the blue patches. Do the same with Google Maps.
Wow, that answer was unnecessarily snide and passive aggressive. The guy was looking for information. Isn't that the whole point of threads like this? What's the matter, was the OP too simply-spoken for you?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM

212 posts, read 371,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkoster1995 View Post
I am wanting to get out of town with some friends for a weekend. I want to get away from the city and just go to the open area. I know Bonito Lake area, I love it, But with the fire, Going there is not going to happen. I want a place by some water that's not too crowded, ( like I dont want to go to elephant Bute)....So some water, By some mountains to have fun in, go extreme off rode biking. Camp overnight, And mabey shoot out shotguns. Just a small place like Bonito Lake.
Does it have to be a lake? How about a nice river or stream. New Mexico has a well-deserved reputation for dryness, but if you know where to look there are TONS of great mountain campgrounds where you can pitch your tent right on the river bank amidst tall trees. I highly recommend the Pecos River Valley, the Red River Valley or the Jemez Mountains. All of these areas are true camping and hiking paradises.

If you must have a lake and are willing to come down out of the mountains, Abiquiu Dam is an awesome recreational lake with a top-notch campground. The whole region is surrounded by a stunning southwest landscape that IMHO rivals the magnificent scenery in Utah or Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico