Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM

561 posts, read 1,179,841 times

Advertisements

I live in Seattle and will be off work the first 3 weeks of February off. [I might even be able to take the entire month off, but I'm not sure yet.] As I'm sure many of you know, Seattle is overcast and dizzly about 8-9 mos/year, and the Winters are especially dreary. Consequently I like to visit areas with nice weather that are relatively undeveloped. When I travel I generally prefer to keep things as simple and flexible as possible, so I was thinking I'd make it an adventure and try hitchhiking as way of getting around.

I was also thinking about bicycling, and by that I mean intercity bicycling. Are the roads and drivers safe for this?

About me: I'm 41 years old, male, caucasian. I'm in good physical condition, so I can walk extensively if necessary. The reason I mention this is that anecdotally I've heard it's more dangerous for younger women to hitchhike (I haven't read any stats that confirm or discredit this notion).

So, is hitchhiking or bicycling in NM practical and safe, or would this be highly ill-advised? Are there some areas/roads I should especially try to avoid? I haven't committed to doing this or anything; right now I'm just pondering my options. Any and all constructive info and comments are appreciated.

Last edited by Apathizer; 08-28-2012 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Added cycling as an option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
If your gut is telling you it isn't a good idea, it probably isn't.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
IMHO, I would not hitchhike in any state these days.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
When I travel I generally prefer to keep things as simple and flexible as possible, so I was thinking I'd make it an adventure and try hitchhiking as way of getting around.
I do not consider hitchhiking as flexible and simple.

Quote:
So, is hitchhiking in NM practical and safe, or would this be highly ill-advised? Are there some areas/roads I should especially try to avoid? I haven't committed to doing this or anything; right now I'm just pondering my options. Any and all constructive info and comments are appreciated.
I would not hitchhike... I would rather ride a bike, take a train, or a bus...

Motor Vehicle Laws in New Mexico
New Mexico Highway and Transportation Department
Traffic Safety Bureau
Quote:
66-7-340. Pedestrians soliciting rides or business. (1978)

A. No person shall stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride, employment or business from the occupant of any vehicle.
Note it means do not stand in the road, which some people do not understand...

Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I live in Seattle and will be off work the first 3 weeks of February off. [I might even be able to take the entire month off, but I'm not sure yet.] As I'm sure many of you know, Seattle is overcast and dizzly about 8-9 mos/year, and the Winters are especially dreary. Consequently I like to visit areas with nice weather that are relatively undeveloped. When I travel I generally prefer to keep things as simple and flexible as possible, so I was thinking I'd make it an adventure and try hitchhiking as way of getting around.

About me: I'm 41 years old, male, caucasian. I'm in good physical condition, so I can walk extensively if necessary. The reason I mention this is that anecdotally I've heard it's more dangerous for younger women to hitchhike (I haven't read any stats that confirm or discredit this notion).

So, is hitchhiking in NM practical and safe, or would this be highly ill-advised? Are there some areas/roads I should especially try to avoid? I haven't committed to doing this or anything; right now I'm just pondering my options. Any and all constructive info and comments are appreciated.

I believe hitchiking is illegal across the Country however, check the laws for the state/states you plan on doing this in.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM

561 posts, read 1,179,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I believe hitchiking is illegal across the Country however, check the laws for the state/states you plan on doing this in.
Technically it is illegal, but there are pretty easy ways around it. It's my understanding that if you're far enough away from the road, rather than standing on the side of the road, you can get away with it. Sort of a legal gray area.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Technically it is illegal, but there are pretty easy ways around it. It's my understanding that if you're far enough away from the road, rather than standing on the side of the road, you can get away with it. Sort of a legal gray area.

Okay, your choice to do this or not but it is not something I myself would pursue. Good luck and happy trails.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No, generally, in most U.S. states hitchhiking is legal. Hitchhiking is normally not an issue unless you are causing a nuisance, impeding traffic etc.

The poster said he is coming to New Mexico, Hitchhiking is not illegal in New Mexico (unless you are causing a nuisance, impeding traffic etc.)

Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Not safe in any state male or female. Aside from the nut cases, didn't your moma ever teach you to walk facing traffic? Highway walkers, many of whom do not drive, don't seem to understand that drivers do not see the walkers as well as the walkers see them. And dark clothing, who came up with that garb for twilite jogs?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
I live in Seattle and will be off work the first 3 weeks of February off...
I was also thinking about bicycling, and by that I mean intercity bicycling. Are the roads and drivers safe for this?
Bicycling NM in February can be a VERY uncomfortable experience if the weather is 'typical.' New Mexico secondary hiways are NOT bicycle safe, for the most part. Many have minimal shoulders. As an experienced road bicycler, I have never ridden any distance on NM highways on a vacation. There are much more bicycle friendly states than NM. You should look at south Texas for winter bicycling on well maintained state roads. Even the farm-to-market roads in Texas are better than the state hiways in NM.

Just my considered opinion.'

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico