Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM
N8! N8! started this thread

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times

Advertisements

A good mountain bike ride and a great time out in the Dona Ana Mts on Saturday (I followed these directions). Only minor quibble was the trails were very confusing and unmarked (not necessarily a bad thing as I got to explore quite a bit in a 2 hr ride):

Got to the Dona Ana trailhead about 7AM - it was nice and cool:

Dona Ana's (I lived near Dona Ana from '64-'77 and grew up seeing these mts everyday, loved getting reacquainted):

Up in it:

The 32:19 ratio on my SS was absolutely perfect gearing!

There are truly no more majestic mountains anywhere than the Organs!!!

The Pecan Amber Ale at De La Vega's Pecan Grill and Brewery was ok, a bit sweet for my tastes. The Desert Stout was tasty though.

On the way back up to ABQ I took old Hwy 85 (I can't remember the "new" number) starting at Percha St Park most of the way till Soccoro stopping at Elephant Butte Dam/Lake, Ft. Craig and Bosque del Apache at sunset. Back when I was a kid (60's-70's) my parents would always take the old road instead of I-25 and I am glad they did. You miss a lot on the freeway.

A super low Elephant Butte

Ft. Craig

Bosque del Apache during the 'magic hour'

Last edited by N8!; 09-24-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Forgot to add some Soccoro love:

Stopped off at Soccoro Spring Brewing Co (their beers are all brewed by Eddyline up in Bueno Vista, CO and shipped down) - I had a Crank Yanker IPA:

Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 AM

Ft. Craig - 8 miles from the site of the Civil War battle site of Valverde (this fort & battle are referenced in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly").

Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Great stuff! Thank you for sharing your travels!
I'm glad you signed up to the forums.

When I win the bet in 9 1/2 years ( or so ), it will be my pleasure
to let you share the Scotch ( you will hand over to me ) with me.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Great pictures! I recently visited Santa Fe and San Cristobal and I can't wait to get back. There is something truly enchanting about New Mexico!

BTW, I tried the Crank Yanker at the Eddyline Brewery in Buena Vista on this same trip. It's my dad's favorite and I can see why!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Great stuff! Thank you for sharing your travels!
I'm glad you signed up to the forums.

When I win the bet in 9 1/2 years ( or so ), it will be my pleasure
to let you share the Scotch ( you will hand over to me ) with me.
It's you that will be owing me, but I'm not gunna wait around on you to pay up..!

So, I'm starting without you...

Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Great pictures! I recently visited Santa Fe and San Cristobal and I can't wait to get back. There is something truly enchanting about New Mexico!

BTW, I tried the Crank Yanker at the Eddyline Brewery in Buena Vista on this same trip. It's my dad's favorite and I can see why!
It's a good mild IPA and easily drinkable.

I'm a bit more into the BIG flavor IPA these days thanks to ABQ's own La Cumbre Brewing Co's Elevated IPA.

We're pretty spoiled here in NM these days:

Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
It's a good mild IPA and easily drinkable.

I'm a bit more into the BIG flavor IPA these days thanks to ABQ's own La Cumbre Brewing Co's Elevated IPA.

We're pretty spoiled here in NM these days:
Oh yes, I have to agree! I'm into big, citrus flavored IPA's myself. I have to say, my current location of Bend, OR has something to do with that! Right now it's fresh hop season in the PNW, one of my favorite times of year here.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
\
There are truly no more majestic mountains anywhere than the Organs!!!
While I enjoyed your photos, and I applaud your fervor for the local geology, I feel compelled to challenge the statement quoted. For direct comparison I would refer you to the Grand Tetons. But of course even the Tetons pale in comparison to other major mountain ranges in the world.

PS: I'm a Guinness lover myself. I get riled quickly when offered "Shiner Bock" or some other weak sister instead.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
While I enjoyed your photos, and I applaud your fervor for the local geology, I feel compelled to challenge the statement quoted. For direct comparison I would refer you to the Grand Tetons. But of course even the Tetons pale in comparison to other major mountain ranges in the world.

PS: I'm a Guinness lover myself. I get riled quickly when offered "Shiner Bock" or some other weak sister instead.
I do love me some Tetons.. grande and no so grande.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico