Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:22 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,355,887 times

Advertisements

Wait, New Mexico is a City now ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,530,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Wait, New Mexico is a City now ?
Where you been Brian? Don't you read everything new on the Internet during your morning coffee?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,648,894 times
Way to bring down the ABQ Sunport and NM economy. I imagine many may resort to driving to El Paso or Denver.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Way to bring down the ABQ Sunport and NM economy. I imagine many may resort to driving to El Paso or Denver.
If there is a problem, and there is none at the present time, then going to El Paso or Denver will not fix anything. If there is a problem, it might be your New Mexico drivers license which might be the problem, so going to any other state would not change anything.

If the only suitable ID you have is a New Mexico drivers license then you can start worrying Jan 15, 2013, unless there is another extension.

Bring down the "NM economy"? Anybody from 48 other states will be able to use their state drivers license to get on a plane to fly to New Mexico or any other place in the U.S. Anyone with a valid U.S. passport has no issue.

But wait!

According to a Dec 8, 2012 Albuquerque Journal article, Homeland Security said, the January deadline applies to states, not individuals. It mandates that states have certain security features on driver’s licenses and identification cards and says they must have a connection to a national database of license information. Starting in December 2014, a state-issued driver’s license or ID card can’t be used by someone under the age of 50 to enter a federal building or board a commercial airliner unless the license complies with the Real ID requirements. So, it looks like you have two more years to worry...

You can read the article here: http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2012/...l-good-id.html

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-11-2012 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,450,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlander View Post
The original thread pertained to boarding a plane with a NM driver's license.

How many incidents have there been since 9/11 that involved someone using a NM driver's license?

Now, how many incidents have been caused by individuals using the "accepted" driver's licenses from other states? Add up all the actors, professional athletes, etc.

The push to not accept the NM license does not seem to be based on any facts that can be demonstrated to enhance nat'l security, but instead, on bureaucratic speculation (TSA). The more likely reason is simply because The Man wants it that way. "Papers please" indeed, Zoidberg.
Do you think TSA should not look at citizenship at all? Anyone one from any country can just board a plane with no citizenship status given?

New Mexico does not require citizenship, legal status or valid identification in giving out drivers licenses. New Mexico drivers licenses are found by those living in other states who have never resided in New Mexico. If you're a foreigner and want a drivers license for whatever reasons you might want one, it's a well-known fact that you can get one from New Mexico. Many people might get one just for the hunting and fishing advantages when they travel to New Mexico for vacations.

Probably most illegal aliens obtaining them aren't going to hijack planes but there's nothing even that limits the NM drivers license to them. A would-be hijacker could obtain one just as easily.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:33 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,143,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Do you think TSA should not look at citizenship at all? Anyone one from any country can just board a plane with no citizenship status given?
Flying is not a privilege for citizens. It is a basic right to conduct commerce, be it business or pleasure. We lose billions every year because foreign vacationers and businesspeople alike hate how xenophobic, inept and reactionary our travel authorities have become. They spend their euros in Canada, the Caribbean, or back home.

Quote:
New Mexico does not require citizenship, legal status or valid identification in giving out drivers licenses. New Mexico drivers licenses are found by those living in other states who have never resided in New Mexico.
New Mexico requires proof of residency. This proof has been forged on occasion, but it is still proof sought.

Quote:
A would-be hijacker could obtain one just as easily.
Theft and fraud are well within the abilities of a committed criminal or combatant; no level of compliance or noncompliance with federal guidelines will change that.

Let's turn the issue on its head- should foreign nationals be allowed to buy and own firearms in New Mexico?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Flying is not a privilege for citizens.
It's not?

So my wife's pilot license is a fraud/fake/etc?
How about the law, as in Title 49 of the United States Code?

49 USC § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace

(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

(2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace.

REFERENCE: 49 USC § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace | LII / Legal Information Institute
By the way, My wife is a U.S. Citizen...

Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It's not?

So my wife's pilot license is a fraud/fake/etc?
How about the law, as in Title 49 of the United States Code?

49 USC § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace

(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

(2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace.

REFERENCE: 49 USC § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace | LII / Legal Information Institute
By the way, My wife is a U.S. Citizen...
Hmm..

My statement was in essence "flying isn't a privilege, it's a right", to which you basically agreed with your basis.

(And I suppose "flying" was the "as a passenger" variant use of the intransitive verb).

Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Hmm..

My statement was in essence "flying isn't a privilege, it's a right", to which you basically agreed with your basis.

(And I suppose "flying" was the "as a passenger" variant use of the intransitive verb).
'Hmm.. My statement was in essence?'

Your statement was exactly:

Quote:
Flying is not a privilege for citizens.
End of story...

Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
'Hmm.. My statement was in essence?'

Your statement was exactly:

End of story...
So.. are you saying flying is a right or a privilege?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico